Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 07:41 AM

9,847 posts, read 25,338,614 times

Advertisements

What sort of training/certification do you need to get to be a Network Tech? My girl is considering entering this field but is not really sure where to start.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 08:23 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,268,848 times
Generally at minimum a technical school like Devry with various certifications, better yet a BS in computer engineering with certifications.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:58 PM

3,079 posts, read 3,136,742 times
This is such a large field....Do you know whether she plans on working inside or outside? Does she want to design, build and deploy networks or does she rather maintain them? Is she more interested in administration? A lot depends on what direction she wants to go....Certifications+Experience are almost a must in this field...

Old 06-30-2009, 04:58 AM

1,523 posts, read 3,913,353 times
Look for an IT program at your local community college, preferably one that offers courses that teach to certifications. Then she'll have to find some kind of part-time job in IT or closely related field. That is a non-negotiable. Employers won't hire anyone with no experience.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:35 AM

6,617 posts, read 11,385,605 times
You want "on the job" training. Network Engineering/administration is not an entry level field. That's the first thing your girl needs to understand. You probably need to start as a PC tech or even a helpdesk tech. From there, you supplement your work experience with some formal training and attain the certifications that will validate your skills.

As for the type of certs - CompTIA's certs are very basic and is vendor agnostic. So they concentrate more on the technology as opposed to specific products. Network + is one.

After that, you can either do a Microsoft certification which deals more with MS operating systems as well as basic network; or go full network and go up the Cisco's certification trail. You can also branch off and be more specific like security or storage or other areas.....but that should align with your role at that point.

Old 06-30-2009, 03:35 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,338,614 times
She's willing to work her way up. We are both going to be working so she doesn't need to be making a certain amount right away. Also she's more interested in the maintenance side of things. I'm more interested on where to start. Any recommended schools, certifications, etc?

Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,982,158 times
this field is absolutely flooded with highly skilled, experienced and now unemployed people looking for jobs...its a mess...go on dice.com and read the discussion board before u spend any money trying to get into IT

Old 06-30-2009, 08:02 PM

145 posts, read 611,343 times
I started by fixing computers of my family and friends, I learned everything about fixing operating systems, software errors and hardware. Then I got a job as a desktop support tech. Spent 5 years in the trenches, took the MS Certifications, became a server administrator and now check server logs, build servers, and set up email accounts on an Exchange server. I really miss the customer service but am tired of desktop work. If she is interested in this track, then I would suggest to work towards either a Server admin or a Desktop Support Manager. Helpdesk managers can end up making some decent money.

Now you say "Network Tech" if she is into routers, switches, cabling and the "physical layer" then I suggest a Computer Engineering degree and work with Cisco and get the highly regarded Cisco certs. Wichita State University in Wichita, KS has an excellent CS degree program, not as expensive as some larger schools and they have a Cisco call center on campus that hires the students so they get hands on experience. These students are then hired by Cisco. My co-worker (a female) took this track and she now keeps the network up and running.

Find out what gets her excited? Software, Hardware, Routers, Switches? Customer service? Fixing errors? Programming? Then go from there.

Either way, she needs to fix computers for friends, family and make some bucks on the side while she goes to school. A degree in MIS is not a bad gig either. Especially when work on PC's gets a little old.

Old 07-01-2009, 04:00 AM

1,664 posts, read 2,308,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekychick View Post
I started by fixing computers of my family and friends, I learned everything about fixing operating systems, software errors and hardware. Then I got a job as a desktop support tech. Spent 5 years in the trenches, took the MS Certifications, became a server administrator and now check server logs, build servers, and set up email accounts on an Exchange server. I really miss the customer service but am tired of desktop work. If she is interested in this track, then I would suggest to work towards either a Server admin or a Desktop Support Manager. Helpdesk managers can end up making some decent money.

Now you say "Network Tech" if she is into routers, switches, cabling and the "physical layer" then I suggest a Computer Engineering degree and work with Cisco and get the highly regarded Cisco certs. Wichita State University in Wichita, KS has an excellent CS degree program, not as expensive as some larger schools and they have a Cisco call center on campus that hires the students so they get hands on experience. These students are then hired by Cisco. My co-worker (a female) took this track and she now keeps the network up and running.

Find out what gets her excited? Software, Hardware, Routers, Switches? Customer service? Fixing errors? Programming? Then go from there.

Either way, she needs to fix computers for friends, family and make some bucks on the side while she goes to school. A degree in MIS is not a bad gig either. Especially when work on PC's gets a little old.
Ditto. I did pretty much what you did except I will not work on people's personal computers. I got into the business back in the mid-90's when there were more jobs than qualified people. Also, I went the Novell NetWare route. I started with desktop support. I'm now a Cisco certified Master CNE.I wouldn't necessarily recommend the Novell route today with so much Windows around.

For this OP I agree with previous posts. Start with some PC certs i.e. A+ and try to get into desktop support somewhere. After that go for some Network Engineering certs such as MCSE. If you're good at desktop support and you've got an MCSE you should be able to get a Network Engineering job somewhere. Cisco certs would be a real plus. Even if you don't end up working with Cisco equipment there is no better course for understanding networks than a CCNA.

- Reel

Old 07-01-2009, 06:01 AM

6,617 posts, read 11,385,605 times
Agree with everything you said... until you threw this in:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelist in Atlanta View Post
....I'm now a Cisco certified Master CNE....
I hope that was just a typo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment