Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:18 AM

3,786 posts, read 5,331,294 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are trying to help a son find his way in life. He did well in his high school studies, but dropped out of first semester university due to a lack of motivation to get through calculus (he was pre-engineering).

Now he works at a movie theater, selling tickets and popcorn. The initial flush of excitement and interest with being around movies is starting to wane as he realises that minimum wage doesn't buy a whole lot of life or security.

We are trying to find a field in which he can use the computer, but does not require him becoming a computer programmer. The radiologic technology field looks interesting, and I am wondering about its projected future growth, number of people entering, etc.

Anyone out there working in this field, or informed about it?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 10:16 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
My daughter in law is an x-ray tech and she seems to be doing okay.. It's not an easy course tho. It does pay good.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:03 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,015,449 times
I've done some research on this field in my own search for a career change.

It appears your son would need an associates degree as a radiological technician, with many medical/biological related courses. It's certainly not to the complexity of becoming an MD, but it appears you certainly need more background on the human body and it's workings and not just know how to turn on the fancy equipment.

Beyond that, it looks like a decent career. Pay seems to start in the $30's to $40 range most places, although there seems to be big swings by region. Job outlook also appears fairly good, although there is more competition for jobs now than there used to be. The positive is with an aging population, there should still be demand for more people in the health care field for some time.

Keep in mind, this is already second hand info I have found in my own research...

If I were you, I'd recommend he do some research into it and see if he thinks it is something he would like to try!

Old 06-24-2009, 05:19 PM

43 posts, read 139,510 times
Yes, I have been an RT (R) (MR) ~ Registered Radiologic Technologist , ARRT for 28 years.

I attended a 2 year Hospital based program and upon graduation, passed the National ARRT
examination as well as the advanced MRI "boards" years ago as well.

The job market for RT's in general is saturated and very competitive. That is not to say one could
not attend school and find a successful career path as an RT. It's not a given anymore you will land
a job right out of school as it used to be. Check around on the internet and you will find many
frustrated "new grads" who have yet to land a FT position thanks to a flooding of the job market
in the last few years, especially by "for profit" schools whose only real interest is collecting
the $30K + they are charging. If you are seriously interested in being a Registered Radiologic
Technologist, I would only seek out a Hospital or College based program. In todays highly
competitive environment, those with the best credentials, will be given priority in hiring.

Years ago, Hospital's did most of the training of RT's, indeed , the average class was 6 ~ 8
students a year. As the wage scale of RT's climbed during the advent of more sophisticated
imaging modalities like MRI, CT, etc., the "for profit" corporations saw an opportunity to capitalize
on the growing demand and classes where I live, run upwards of 50 students, and the drop
out rate is ridiculous. It used to be a badge of honor among Hospital's to have a zero failure rate
and high national ARRT scores. Usually these "for profit" schools crank em' out in 18 months
while the traditional RT Hospital/Community College is 24 months. There is a significant number
of BSRT programs now as well. If you are a Manager of a Radiology Department who are you going
to hire ? The 18 month "quick fix" or the BSRT ?

This is not a profession for someone who is "not motivated" , save your money, go find another line
of work. I have seen more than a few people make it through school but fail their ARRT Registry
and you will not find employment if you do not have the credentials. Insurance Co.'s demand
that Imaging Centers, Hospitals, etc. have licensed Staff RT's or you cannot get reimbursed.

My best estimate is we have more than enough RT's to last for 3 ~ 5 years just based on what I
know of my specific geographic region. I wouldn't discourage anyone from pursuing their dream
vocation but just be realistic about the job market today, and for the next few years.

Old 06-24-2009, 06:10 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,353,293 times
Check out your local community college. There are many 2 year associates/certificate programs that are very worthy and can get him into a career path. He should also see a career counselor there. Then at least he will have an associates and can go on to get his bachelors at some point if he chooses. He needs to get additional training besides highschool!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 08:16 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,344,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
My wife and I are trying to help a son find his way in life. .....We are trying to find a field in which he can use the computer, but does not require him becoming a computer programmer. .
Seems to me that he's the one who needs to be researching careers, not you two. I assume he's at least 20 - it's his job to find his way in life - you gave him the tools, now get him out of the nest! Also, X529 is correct - rad techs are NOT in demand right now. Any allied healthcare field requires discipline as well as SELF-motivation because these fields are not easy.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:51 PM

10,834 posts, read 14,938,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm_mary73 View Post
Seems to me that he's the one who needs to be researching careers, not you two. I assume he's at least 20 - it's his job to find his way in life - you gave him the tools, now get him out of the nest!
I disagree, they know their son and even if he is 20 he needs their guidance.

At 20 he has little idea of what to research or what is available. Left to his own he might decide to pursue a dream of getting a BA degree in dramatic arts and we all know where they end up.

Old 06-24-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
I disagree, they know their son and even if he is 20 he needs their guidance.

At 20 he has little idea of what to research or what is available. Left to his own he might decide to pursue a dream of getting a BA degree in dramatic arts and we all know where they end up.
Thanks to all (especially X529) for the information. X529, it is nice to hear from someone inside the industry.

Our son lives across an ocean from us, thus we do not talk but once in a month. (He left the nest two years ago.) I did an internet search last night and discovered that these "for-profit" schools (online schools) have captured so many of the key words by which search is done. I did, however, also find hospitals which provide the radiologic tech training, and that is the way that I would send my son should we (he and his parents) choose this pathway.

Nicet4, you get a reputation boost for you were the most perceptive. I am an engineer, and my other son is excelling in engineering studies at this moment, but this son does not have the same gifting or motivation for the engineering field. He is, figuratively, "lost at sea" and needs some gentle parental guidance. We sense (and have heard from siblings) that he is about ready to listen to our advice.

And yes, his idea earlier this year was to quit his job and move to California to attend one of those "for-profit" schools to get a certificate in film directing (for $10,000 plus living expenses in California). I asked him, "Who has a better chance at becoming a director, you or Tom Cruise?" I talked him out of it, but now need to give him some ideas of alternatives to consider to move him forward and out of MinimumWageVille.

If we knew that our son had the drive, personality, and aggressive ambition to become a film director, then we would encourage him in that direction. Otherwise, it is imperative that we as parents help our children -especially the shy late-bloomers- to navigate the early part of their lives. He is researching ideas himself, just in the wrong fields we feel.

Last edited by Teak; 06-24-2009 at 09:23 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-24-2009, 10:41 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
He should consider taking the Strong Interest Inventory/Holland Codes test. It identifies areas of strength and interests and gives lists of potential careers based on the results.

Not saying that RT(XRay) is a bad idea, but he might find that Clinical Laboratory Scientist, or MLT, or RRT, or something completely out of the allied health realm but still a good choice might be more his cup of tea.

If you go to the ASRT website, it will direct you to a list of accredited programs plus give you more information about the field.

Have you seen ExploreHealthCareers.org: A free resource on health careers, enrichment programs, and financial aid ?

It will give you more ideas about careers in Health Care.

Old 06-25-2009, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
He should consider taking the Strong Interest Inventory/Holland Codes test. It identifies areas of strength and interests and gives lists of potential careers based on the results.

Have you seen ExploreHealthCareers.org: A free resource on health careers, enrichment programs, and financial aid ?

It will give you more ideas about careers in Health Care.
No, have not seen. Thanks for the link and advice. Much appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment