Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2009, 03:26 PM

173 posts, read 968,174 times

Advertisements

I think I have been on Linkedin for about 2 years now.
I can't say it has actually helped my professional career.
What do you think about Linkedin?

I just found out about a new position, they are looking for an additional member of a team. So I checked Linkedin and found only 1 member of this team. But I am shocked as to how this person attained this position, considering their previous work experience and education.

I would assume that most linkedin profiles don't deviate too far from the same information on a formal resume?
So I was wondering if this was true of others on linkedin?

Does your profile truly reflect who you are as a professional and can this be said of others you view on the site?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2009, 05:46 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I think it's a great tool. I recently used it to network with others in my industry and got a referal for a vendor for a service I needed for my job.

I also got an interview from it for a job posted only on LinkedIn when I was looking for work. They were only accepting resumes from people with a minimum of four recommendations, I have seven.

Old 06-22-2009, 06:57 AM

213 posts, read 770,076 times
I've only been on it since this year but I can't say it has helped me. The few "strangers" that I sent emails to did not respond (I just had job inquiry questions regarding their companies, was not asking for much). I still look at it, but don't go crazy with it. However, there is always the chance one of your connections will be connected to someone at a company you are applying at. Since I am looking for work, my profile lists a few resume points, whereas some people have more of a general summary.

Old 06-22-2009, 07:30 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
I use it all of the time to increase my network, find potential clients and prepare for client meetings. Depending on the individual their profile usually is a summary of the resume. I love LinkedIn personally.

Old 06-22-2009, 10:58 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
So far it's been worthless to me.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:06 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,054,681 times
I think it depends on how you use it and how large your actual network of people you know is to begin with.

Try joining one of the groups for the industry you are in and networking with the others in the group.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:34 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,939,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
So far it's been worthless to me.
Excellent feedback. Thanks for playing

Why exactly has it been useless? I ask because a) people don't always know how to use, b) it's not for every industry/job category c) some people just don't like social media or the time needed to maintain your personal content.

Old 06-22-2009, 11:40 AM

473 posts, read 1,518,008 times
I'm still on the fence with LinkedIn. I've made my initial network as large as I can, but feel funny about "getting introduced", especially if I barely know the person I'm asking. The choices for connecting with someone aren't bad, but why put "I don't know _____" if it won't let you connect?

The groups job boards stink. LinkedIn needs a better way to organize and oversee them. Job seekers and "headhunters" are all mixed in there, and just a mess.

However, I like the groups, and find a lot of good information out there.

Old 06-22-2009, 02:08 PM

5,501 posts, read 22,451,384 times
I think it is a great tool if used properly!

You have to fill in the right information and include a picture. And then you use it as a way to stay in touch with and follow other business people. It's just one more way to get your name out there!

You can also include links to your blog and website.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:56 AM

132 posts, read 430,225 times
Add 500+ people to your LinkedIn network you don't even know so you appear knowledgeable and cool. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment