Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:33 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hnsq View Post
I feel loyalty to my current company.

I have been here a little over a year, and they are just starting to send me to training classes, which does inspire some loyalty. In the next three months they will spend about $10,000 getting me trained and certified in different technologies. I would really feel like sh*t if I quit on them and used the certifications to get another job.
When you're 45 years old and they can get someone right out of college to do the same work for about half your salary, you'll see exactly where that loyalty gets you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 09:36 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,363,785 times
I have NO loyalty to any company. Only my friends and family. They pay me to do a job - I do it, work hard there, I go home. End of story.
Actually I feel more loyalty to co-workers in that I want to be an effective part of the team so we can all get our jobs done easier and more quickly with less stress. And later on, when we all get laid off, you can get good references and networking!

Old 06-15-2009, 11:18 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,364,362 times
it all depends on the company, I've worked for companies who let you know how valuble you are to them and treat you in a way that reflects that, then on the other hand i work for a company now that thinks we are pond scum and can be replaced at any time. i take it as it is, if they treat me well then i will be likely to stay, if not I'll be looking, but it does come down to getting a paycheck and i'll do my job to the best of my ability no matter what but at the end of the day i don't owe them anything and they don't owe me anything.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:09 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,216,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
When you're 45 years old and they can get someone right out of college to do the same work for about half your salary, you'll see exactly where that loyalty gets you.
I am not 45, but I hope when I am someone half my age (and with no experience) won't be able to do my job. The people I work with who are 45 have jobs I can't dream of doing. They keep learning their whole career so a college grad can't take their job. If someone with no experience can replace someone with 25 years experience, the older guy might need to re-evaluate his strategy for his career.

Old 06-16-2009, 06:33 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,094,460 times
I'm over 45 and the job I'm currently working at could be done with someone with five years of experience--in other words someone about 20 years younger. The difference? I don't calculate my salary requirements using my age and expecting my boss to value me more because I'm older, I figure them based on what the overall market bears. I think that's the biggest mistake older workers make. They think they are more valuable or worth more because they've been in the workplace longer. There are very, very few jobs that anything over five years experience makes a hill of beans of difference.

Old 06-16-2009, 07:54 AM

897 posts, read 2,826,426 times
Quote:
I am not 45, but I hope when I am someone half my age (and with no experience) won't be able to do my job. The people I work with who are 45 have jobs I can't dream of doing. They keep learning their whole career so a college grad can't take their job. If someone with no experience can replace someone with 25 years experience, the older guy might need to re-evaluate his strategy for his career.
Agreed. My DH mentors many entry level mgmt in his dept. He is one of the few go to guys, company wide, that when someone wants to move up in the company, the powers that be look to him to guide them.

Often times these 20 somethings spend a couple of weeks shadowing and assisting him in his daily functions. Many if not most of these candidates are truly "humbled" by the time DH shows them his many years of experience!

Old 06-16-2009, 08:00 AM

9,855 posts, read 15,216,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiGal View Post
Agreed. My DH mentors many entry level mgmt in his dept. He is one of the few go to guys, company wide, that when someone wants to move up in the company, the powers that be look to him to guide them.

Often times these 20 somethings spend a couple of weeks shadowing and assisting him in his daily functions. Many if not most of these candidates are truly "humbled" by the time DH shows them his many years of experience!
I (at 23 years old) turn to three people like this on a weekly basis. One of them quit a few years ago and my company offered him extra money to stay. He has done a lot to make himself valuable to the company, and it would take at least 3 people my age to make up for the knowledge and experience he has. There is someone else (around 50 years old) who treats his job as 'just a paycheck'. He doesn't care about learning, never attends seminars/training. Never reads books on new technology, etc. I feel like after a year at this company I could do his job...

Old 06-16-2009, 01:44 PM

897 posts, read 2,826,426 times
Quote:
I (at 23 years old) turn to three people like this on a weekly basis. One of them quit a few years ago and my company offered him extra money to stay. He has done a lot to make himself valuable to the company, and it would take at least 3 people my age to make up for the knowledge and experience he has. There is someone else (around 50 years old) who treats his job as 'just a paycheck'. He doesn't care about learning, never attends seminars/training. Never reads books on new technology, etc. I feel like after a year at this company I could do his job...
Go for it. That 50 yr old slacker is a goner.
Good luck to you!

Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,630,117 times
Quote:
This is what common sense dictates, and I happen to agree with you. The problem is that many companies--not all, but certainly plenty of them--make their calculations based on the proverbial bottom line. If they can pay someone $30,000 a year, let's say, and you happen to be making $50,000 then you're walking around on thin ice. The concept of productivity gets a lot of lip service, but the fact is that the company won't care whether or not some new kid can do the same job you can.

Thus, company loyalty is usually misplaced. They're not going to show any to you, given the opportunity, but of course they'll be perfectly happy if you have some for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment