Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 10:45 AM

355 posts, read 2,403,695 times

Advertisements

Well, first off in response to someone else on here saying customer service is a 'menial job' well then I guess my background and experience are 'menial' in every way.

Repubocrat, get off your high horse. Not everyone here has some fancy 4-year college degree & it doesn't make them any less of a person. Does it always matter in this economy, anyway?

And GypsySoul, I feel your pain!!!!!!!!!! I want a life, too!! I feel like mine has completely stopped since I became unemployed & I just want to be given a chance. I'm getting passed over for jobs I'm perfectly qualified for AND where I ace the interview & they seem to like me---none of that even matters in this economy!! I'm so sick & tired of it, myself! I'm sick of people just saying 'yeah, it's hard out there'---yeah, unless you've been unemployed for as long as I have, then you don't know what it's like to be in our shoes & be scared out of your mind about bills & whatnot. People just don't get it. Do they think we sit around all day & twiddle our thumbs? No, we're busting our a** day in & day out just hoping that some employer will finally hire us. I'm at the point of desperation, too & am about to take anything I can get as sad as that is. I can't get unemployment, so my options are minimal.

!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
..'

He told me yesterday he's going to go get a second job (uh huh) because I 'can't find a job' and I am 'not trying.' (yes, okay). But he's the one who told me 'don't dumb down your resume, do this do that..'

I'm 'done' with everyone's advice. Unless you are living unemployment for MONTHS, you have no clue. I am tired of being the scapegoat (at least in my family) for the economy being in the toilet.

And, in this forum, I really cannot stand any more posts about 'controversial' employment topics meant to make others feel bad. Sure, there are plenty of idiots in the world, but there are more nice, decent folks that are just wondering when the world is going to stop spinning out of control so they can have a life again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 03:56 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
I have heard that recruiters get 600 applications for every one job opening . How can they decide who to hire with 600 applications ? I have had to take a tips only job just to feed us and I cannot imagine what people do that have kids . I will not go and get assistance because someone with kids might need what I would be taking and I dont like the idea of that .

Old 05-28-2009, 04:56 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,052,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chilkoot View Post
Let me understand your post....You say being unemployed with no income or insurance is better than working at Starbucks for $10/hour which provides medical insurance while you continue to look for something better? I don't understand how that's a bad idea.

And it's a better thing to start your own business needing thousands of dollars to do so with the likelyhood of no insurance and the failure rate of new businesses at 70%-80%.

This is why advice on this board needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

In my case UNEMPLOYMENT was more attractive than working at Strabucks. And since when does Starucks offer medical insurance?-lol

Old 05-28-2009, 06:30 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,083,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
In my case UNEMPLOYMENT was more attractive than working at Strabucks. And since when does Starucks offer medical insurance?-lol
Starbucks has always been known as a retailer with great benefits, including medical for any employee working at least 20 hours a week, which is reported to be 75% of their workstaff. They have to be there 90 days before they can begin getting benefits--this is standard with many companies.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,106,165 times
Last i saw starbucks was closing some of their stores so I dont see how that would be much of an option .

Old 05-28-2009, 06:38 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,043,928 times
Quote:
Let me understand your post....You say being unemployed with no income or insurance is better than working at Starbucks for $10/hour which provides medical insurance while you continue to look for something better? I don't understand how that's a bad idea.

The amount of hours it takes to make ends meet on 10 bucks an hour leaves you with little time to look for another job which most likely will be another 10 dollar an hour job anyway. I know people like this; they work two 10-15 dollar an hour jobs just to survive.

As far as the medical insurance; sfff, I don’t get you people? If you exercise, eat healthy foods and brush up on natural remedies you will have little worries of needing "health care." As far as I'm concerned, many Americans are undeserving of health care as they exercise such poor judgment over there own health but yet have the nerve to expect me to subsidize there medial treatment which was caused by a lifetime of big macks and salty french fries!

Quote:
And it's a better thing to start your own business needing thousands of dollars to do so with the likelihood of no insurance and the failure rate of new businesses at 70%-80%.

Every business is different much like people, not every business needs thousands of dollars to start. Many young men/women have jobs waiting for them with only a initial investment of 2-500 bucks and a car. You could start your own pooper scooper business, window washing business, landscaping business, or cleaning business all for less then 500 bucks if you are on the bare bones basic startup.

Anyhow, it's amazing how you consider building up a business as risky when working for one company punching a time clock carry’s much more risk as you only have ONE stream of income.

If you have your own business that means you can have say 100-1000 customers and that means you have 100-1000 streams of income therefore if 15-50 people fire you at once you can still put food on the table and just bust your but and find new customers and replace the ones you lost.

Last edited by Morphous01; 05-28-2009 at 07:11 PM..

Old 05-28-2009, 07:05 PM

3,440 posts, read 8,043,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by awsun1980 View Post
I'm getting passed over for jobs I'm perfectly qualified for AND where I ace the interview & they seem to like me---none of that even matters in this economy!!

You sound new to the game? I guess you thought the "powers that be" really cared about us? Well, good morning!

Quote:
Originally Posted by awsun1980 View Post
No, we're busting our a** day in & day out just hoping that some employer will finally hire us. I'm at the point of desperation, too & am about to take anything I can get as sad as that is. I can't get unemployment, so my options are minimal.

With all due respect, I hear you and I believe you but in this economy if you are going to survive your going to haft to be Pro-Active! Don't wait for somebody to hire you, just hire yourself.

Can you do hair? Open up a salon out of your home.. Are you good with kids, set up a daycare center out of your home... Can you clean? Offer to clean the homes of your neighbors for a fee.. You get the point.... .....

Old 05-28-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post
As far as the medical insurance; sfff, I don’t get you people? If you exercise, eat healthy foods and brush up on natural remedies you will have little worries of needing "health care." As far as I'm concerned, many Americans are undeserving of health care as they exercise such poor judgment over there own health but yet have the nerve to expect me to subsidize there medial treatment which was caused by a lifetime of big macks and salty french fries!
Tell that to my otherwise healthy 23 year old son who had a kidney stone attack last year. Over $15K in medical bills, his copays amounted to about $2K.

And I suppose you'll tell me the asthma I've had for 30+ years can be cured with a few herbs and a witchdoctor waving smoldering sage over my head, too.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morphous01 View Post

Can you do hair? Open up a salon out of your home.. Are you good with kids, set up a daycare center out of your home... Can you clean? Offer to clean the homes of your neighbors for a fee.. You get the point.... .....
You need to get the point, in many states it's illegal to "open a salon" in your home, and I don't know of a single state that doesn't require a professional license for barbering or cosmetology.

Many people have cancelled their housecleaners, and how many people do you know who can afford one anyhow? I cleaned my neighbors home, but they hadn't been there for a year and wanted it freshened up before they came home. They don't want or need regular cleaning.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:20 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,471,556 times
its great all the min wage no benefits jobs you could ever want. of course they want you to spend like lifestyle of rich and famous. lots of folks moving into a camper and becoming RV park fixtures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment