Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2009, 05:56 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,712,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
people with highschool diplomas
teenagers
college students during the summer

That's about it
-Stay-at-home parents with limited hours of availability
-disabled people
-retirees wanting some extra cash and/or something to do
-anyone wanting some extra cash and has some time or likes that socialization at a job where there's nothing to lose as they already have a full time career and this is just "extra"

Don't be so biased
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2009, 06:02 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,301,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackyfrost01 View Post
-Stay-at-home parents with limited hours of availability
-disabled people
-retirees wanting some extra cash and/or something to do
-anyone wanting some extra cash and has some time or likes that socialization at a job where there's nothing to lose as they already have a full time career and this is just "extra"

Don't be so biased
Exactly! I spent five years working in retail, not because I needed the cash but because I liked the products this particular retailer carried and I liked the 35% discount.

I was working full time at a very well paying job at the time, and instead of wasting my evenings watching TV I was making some pocket cash, working with products (and people) I really liked, and getting that great discount on stuff I would have bought anyhow.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:30 AM

8,994 posts, read 14,843,929 times
Quote:
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
teenagers

That's about it
I wouldn't expect such an answer from you.

I work with a woman who used to be a school teacher but she had enough of it. Why she chose Wal-Mart is beyond me but hey....she has a degree and is educated.

Old 05-22-2009, 08:50 AM

23,707 posts, read 30,957,492 times
Such a skewed look at retail. The basic non management employee makes a little above minimum wage but if commission is involved can make more than managers. When CompUSA was around the people who worked in the Computer section were on commission (they made upwards of 50k or more). Store managers had base pay of $40k - $150k (thier pay increased with bonuses and spiffs). Base pay w/o commission yields you the uncaring employee (BestBuy,Walmart). The commissioned employee list accessories you may need with your purchase (think about times you've gotten home and you go set up your new purchase and you have to drive back out because to need something to set it up). There is a difference between a salesperson and a clerk. A retail position with good incentives that increase weekly pay makes it a whole lot easier to deal with joe customer.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:23 AM

359 posts, read 1,200,739 times
Quote:
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
teenagers

That's about it
Well, i'll tell you. Working the registers or stocking shelves is much better than working for a piece of c### call center.

Old 05-22-2009, 09:29 AM

24,665 posts, read 70,014,457 times
Quote:
Retail jobs are for

highschool dropouts
teenagers

That's about it
I couldn't agree more with annerk that, given so many that you've come up, this is one of your most ludicrous statements yet. I hope your new job counseling the unemployed works out well for you.

What is "retail" anyway? Retail is the sale of goods to end users, not for resale but for use and consumption of the purchases by the purchasers. That encompasses such a vast array of goods and products.

In the case of a grocery store or a chain, a knowledge of the goods isn't required. But the high school dropout who can learn to run a cash register can also learn about what he or she is scanning. There have been several in my area over several years who've asked me what I use a particular purchase for while the majority of their peers are busy chatting up the baggers or kvetching about something or the other.

Guess which quickly rise up the ladder to become managers in those stores and/or disappear only to show up in much better positions elsewhere - and guess those who don't and end up fired and living off the state and otherwise tumbling from job to job because they just don't "get it" and have an attitude of, "I'm owed and can do what I want."

Even some of the less disenfranchised who post on this forum have that same attitude, "Oh yeah, can't find what I want because the unemployment is so bad and I'm just so above taking any sort of menial job so I'm just going to live off the state and wake up late and party and just wait it all out ..." My comments to such as you would in no way be acceptable to the CD guidelines but suffice it to say that I think you're wanton wastrels!

I could give you scores of positive stories of youngsters who didn't have the best start in life but, because of some encouragement which they could either take or leave from either part-time after-school employers or other mentors, took pride in themselves, observed and learned and went on to become good and productive members of society and who are now raising their children exactly the same way. And many of them work two and three jobs to make ends meet, as did their parents before them.

Of course I understand the difficulties right now of getting a job but as long as anyone sets up their own walls and blockades then the whining will continue.

One poster said that he/she didn't want to work with other people in an office and either the same poster or another expressed a dislike of working with people period. Well, there is a place for antisocial personalities in the world but if you're looking to be employed then that attitude limits your possibilities. Unless you have an underlying mental condition and aren't taking your meds then drop the superiority and get down and dirty with your fellow men. Life requires that you deal with all sorts in all arenas.

Nothing at all wrong with working retail. Look at the vast array of products which are retailed before you jump on retail as a nasty word. I know people who have for years been selling jewelry, cameras, cars, office products and systems, furniture, computers, plants - I mean even to begin to LIST goods which are sold retail is pretty dumb. My duh.

I've done a whole bunch of retail work and a whole bunch of other things and have never failed to enjoy gaining knowledge even when the employment circumstances were less than desirable. The mind shouldn't be wasted even at the worst of times.

Enough. Long posts are so rarely read and I've no doubt overstepped. I was amused today when I posted a gentle but inquisitive response to someone on a thread who obviously hadn't read the 2-page thread and posted a response which didn't relate to what the OP had said. He/she sent me a rep point and said, "I apologize, I only read the post header and not the thread." Maybe I'm just nuts but I don't understand anyone responding to any post or thread unless they've read all the updates and comments?

OK, yes, I'm just an old broad. Cheers!

Old 05-22-2009, 12:53 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,296,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
That is one of the most ridiculous statements I've ever heard from you--and that's saying something.

I know several people(without collsge degrees I might add) in retail who make over $100K a year--and they are not management. That's a number you won't hit in your lifetime, even with your college degree. So until you know the FACTS, you really need to put a sock in it.

Now you know what the hell I'm talking about, I'm talking about the positions that are sales people on the floor or cashiers or stock people. Are you going to tell me those positions pay a $100,000?? Because if so I will go into retail

Old 05-22-2009, 12:58 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
I couldn't agree more with annerk that, given so many that you've come up, this is one of your most ludicrous statements yet. I hope your new job counseling the unemployed works out well for you.

What is "retail" anyway? Retail is the sale of goods to end users, not for resale but for use and consumption of the purchases by the purchasers. That encompasses such a vast array of goods and products.

In the case of a grocery store or a chain, a knowledge of the goods isn't required. But the high school dropout who can learn to run a cash register can also learn about what he or she is scanning. There have been several in my area over several years who've asked me what I use a particular purchase for while the majority of their peers are busy chatting up the baggers or kvetching about something or the other.

Guess which quickly rise up the ladder to become managers in those stores and/or disappear only to show up in much better positions elsewhere - and guess those who don't and end up fired and living off the state and otherwise tumbling from job to job because they just don't "get it" and have an attitude of, "I'm owed and can do what I want."

Even some of the less disenfranchised who post on this forum have that same attitude, "Oh yeah, can't find what I want because the unemployment is so bad and I'm just so above taking any sort of menial job so I'm just going to live off the state and wake up late and party and just wait it all out ..." My comments to such as you would in no way be acceptable to the CD guidelines but suffice it to say that I think you're wanton wastrels!

I could give you scores of positive stories of youngsters who didn't have the best start in life but, because of some encouragement which they could either take or leave from either part-time after-school employers or other mentors, took pride in themselves, observed and learned and went on to become good and productive members of society and who are now raising their children exactly the same way. And many of them work two and three jobs to make ends meet, as did their parents before them.

Of course I understand the difficulties right now of getting a job but as long as anyone sets up their own walls and blockades then the whining will continue.

One poster said that he/she didn't want to work with other people in an office and either the same poster or another expressed a dislike of working with people period. Well, there is a place for antisocial personalities in the world but if you're looking to be employed then that attitude limits your possibilities. Unless you have an underlying mental condition and aren't taking your meds then drop the superiority and get down and dirty with your fellow men. Life requires that you deal with all sorts in all arenas.

Nothing at all wrong with working retail. Look at the vast array of products which are retailed before you jump on retail as a nasty word. I know people who have for years been selling jewelry, cameras, cars, office products and systems, furniture, computers, plants - I mean even to begin to LIST goods which are sold retail is pretty dumb. My duh.

I've done a whole bunch of retail work and a whole bunch of other things and have never failed to enjoy gaining knowledge even when the employment circumstances were less than desirable. The mind shouldn't be wasted even at the worst of times.

Enough. Long posts are so rarely read and I've no doubt overstepped. I was amused today when I posted a gentle but inquisitive response to someone on a thread who obviously hadn't read the 2-page thread and posted a response which didn't relate to what the OP had said. He/she sent me a rep point and said, "I apologize, I only read the post header and not the thread." Maybe I'm just nuts but I don't understand anyone responding to any post or thread unless they've read all the updates and comments?

OK, yes, I'm just an old broad. Cheers!

Ok well I will just say retail is not for me and feel I can find a better job than working in a department store all day.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihatetucson View Post
Well, i'll tell you. Working the registers or stocking shelves is much better than working for a piece of c### call center.

Not to me, I worked in a call center for a year and loved it. Much better than fast foodm retail, or Labor.

Old 05-22-2009, 01:03 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,301,762 times
Quote:
Now you know what the hell I'm talking about, I'm talking about the positions that are sales people on the floor or cashiers or stock people. Are you going to tell me those positions pay a $100,000?? Because if so I will go into retail
Commissioned sales people on the floor. $100K+ a year. Not selling cars.

I'm sure that the people you are "coaching" must feel really great about your opinion of them, as my guess is that most if not all fit into one of the four categories you listed earlier.

By the way, you don't have the personality to be successful in retail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment