Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:07 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,224,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
In person with a resignation letter in hand.
Exactly. No e-mail, no voice mail, no text message. Schedule an appointment to speak with your manager and hand in your letter of resignation that only needs to state that you will be leaving and the effective date of your resignation.

It is common etiquette to give at least 2 weeks notice of your resignation. Some positions make it difficult to stay after giving notice and some companies don't want "short timers" hanging around in some positions where productivity will be minimal or impact to other employees can be adverse. In those cases many times the employee will be given 2 weeks pay in lieu of notice, or worst case told to leave immediately but not paid for the two weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Yes, you can't get u.c. on the employer you quit on.
B.S. In all states, unless you can PROVE...not just accuse...that your employer subjected you to a hostile or illegal work environment and you left due to that work environment, then you're out of luck if you quit voluntarily.

Old 05-12-2009, 09:20 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,137,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
B.S. In all states, unless you can PROVE...not just accuse...that your employer subjected you to a hostile or illegal work environment and you left due to that work environment, then you're out of luck if you quit voluntarily.
B.S. to you back!

No one used any qualifier words here...either accused or proved...

The statement stands alone! If you sue your employer for discrimination you must establish a paper trail. You can't quit and then start a paper trail!! That is the point!!

if you have something of quality to add. Do it, without annoying abbreviations!

or stating the obvious that anyone with a t.v. knows!!
C.P.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
The statement stands alone! If you sue your employer for discrimination you must establish a paper trail. You can't quit and then start a paper trail!! That is the point!!
No one mentioned anything about "discrimination" in this thread except you. What I said stands and is the law in most, if not all states. Unless you can PROVE that you're employer was guilty of a hostile work environment that violates the law, which is very hard to do, then if you leave your job voluntarily, you can't get unemployment benefits.

Old 05-12-2009, 10:55 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,572,499 times
Good question, I am going to quit my job soon. It is through a contract agency... I work Sat-Wednesday... but really don't want to work that extra last weekend.
Wondering what best day to quit is. I can't really quit on the weekend.
I think I am essentially going to give them a 2 week that Monday, but it will really only be 1 week and 2 days due to my schedule.
I've only had the job 2 months...
Any ideas what is proper to do?
I am also scared if I do give a full true 2 weeks, then they might just say, don't come back in! But I need that extra cash...

Old 05-13-2009, 04:03 AM

1,577 posts, read 3,704,906 times
Quote:
Exactly. No e-mail, no voice mail, no text message. Schedule an appointment to speak with your manager and hand in your letter of resignation that only needs to state that you will be leaving and the effective date of your resignation.

It is common etiquette to give at least 2 weeks notice of your resignation. Some positions make it difficult to stay after giving notice and some companies don't want "short timers" hanging around in some positions where productivity will be minimal or impact to other employees can be adverse. In those cases many times the employee will be given 2 weeks pay in lieu of notice, or worst case told to leave immediately but not paid for the two weeks.
As such that would only make future employees give little to no notice at all so that they wouldn't be treated unfairly and would in fact be paid the full term.

Employees have no obligations to give notice, and employers should be grateful that the person was courteous enough to do so, not treat them like garbage for it.

Another poster who said they were fired after giving notice because they told the employer they go a job with a competitor was wronged. To get fired after you've announced your resigning seems illegal to me. Also don't think it was wise to announce what job they got or where it was. I'd have kept it quiet.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:21 AM

46 posts, read 100,543 times
Im pretty sure my manager is going to ask me two questions when I turn in my two weeks.

Why are you leaving? Isn't the standard answer personal reasons?

and he might ask me to stay

Old 05-13-2009, 05:42 AM

458 posts, read 1,357,899 times
Always in writing, always in person and never less than two weeks notice.

Old 05-13-2009, 06:03 AM

496 posts, read 942,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlxin View Post
Im pretty sure my manager is going to ask me two questions when I turn in my two weeks.

Why are you leaving? Isn't the standard answer personal reasons?

and he might ask me to stay
Boundaries... the only thing courtesy obligates you to is 2 weeks notice. The reason you're leaving determines the stickiness of that question. But here's the thing - I can't begin to know why you're leaving and it's none of my business, and nor is it any of theirs. You only need to share what you want to share. If there is a pointer you could give them - say someone across your hall farts all day and you can't bear it... maybe you should take some medication with you and give it to your manager with a lil suggestion. But no seriously. My point is that if you think the reason you're leaving would help make it a better environment for those to come, then the idealist in me would suggest you share it. But whatever you do, stay professional!

Old 05-13-2009, 09:21 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,137,254 times
Quote:
No one mentioned anything about "discrimination" in this thread except you. What I said stands and is the law in most, if not all states. Unless you can PROVE that you're employer was guilty of a hostile work environment that violates the law, which is very hard to do, then if you leave your job voluntarily, you can't get unemployment benefits.

I can only imagine your post was in response to those who predated you!!

Soooo!!

Again! for all of the reasons above, except yours, don't tell your employer why you are quitting unless it is for another job!!

Second! If you file for U.C. it is better to have a clean slate, then to have left a trail behind you!

Third! You can quit Job A and get laid off from Job B. However, if you have not worked long enough for Job B, the charge will go against Job B, but you money will come from both JOB A AND JOB B!!

Therefore, if Job A can prove that you quit for reasons other than another job, then U.C. will force you to work for a new job, Job C for so many weeks until you can claim against JOB B!

However, if you had left a clean slate and said nothing or said you quit for another job, then your claim will be appoved against Job B and the money willl come from both A & B, AND you will not need to go to Job C!!

Lastly regarding why you can SUE your employer successfully for A WRONGFUL TERMINATION OR WRONG FUL DISCHARGE.

1. THIS IS NORMALLY DONE AFTER YOU QUIT.
2. THIS IS DONE SUCESSFULLY FOR REASONS OF DISCRIMINATION, I.E. the Seven or so protected rights!! In addition, there are succesful suits which are not discrimination, such as whistleblowing or fraud!!
3) Lastly, you cannot sue your employer after you quit, if you have not laid a paper trail!!
4) What is a paper trail?? This is called Notice! YOU are supposed to bring your employer's attention to whatever he/she is doing illegally!! Usually, You can't quit, and then bring it to their notice, in the form of a suit!!

FYI!!

Last edited by gea12345; 05-13-2009 at 10:14 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment