Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 05:26 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,126,350 times

Advertisements

HOW DO YOU ANSWER THAT QUESTION: TELL ME ABOUT YOURSELF?

WELL, I AM A PARALEGAL AND I WANT TO SELL YOU ON MY ABILITY TO PROVIDE YOU WITH MY SERVICES, WHICH ARE THE ABILITY TO PROVIDE AN EFFICENT, DETAILED, ACCURATE WORK PRODUCT! AND BECAUSE YOU ARE SEARCHING FOR AN EFFECTIVE TEAM MEMBER, I WOULD LIKE TO INTTORDUCE YOU TO MY EXPERIENCES WHERE I PROVIDED A WORK PRODUCT OR A SERVICE WHICH EMPHASIZED MY TEAM BUILDING SKILLS, ETC...

SO HOW DO YOU PLAN TO ANSWER THAT QUESTION AT YOUR NEXT INTERVIEW? OR HOW HAVE YOU ANSWERED IT IN THE RECENT PAST?

YouTube - Answering the Tell Me About Yourself Question

Last edited by gea12345; 04-19-2009 at 06:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 05:37 PM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
"What would you like to know?"

Then specifically, they tell me. It's worked for me in the past.

Throw it back at them.

Old 04-19-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
"What would you like to know?"

Then specifically, they tell me. It's worked for me in the past.

Throw it back at them.

But did you get the job?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:50 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,462,012 times
Once I actually answered with, "Well, I was born at [Blank] Hospital." Then I smiled and said, "What do you want to know after that?"

Hahahaha

I got the job, by the way. The law firm represented [blank] Hospital. What are the odds of that?

Old 04-19-2009, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarNorthDallas View Post
Once I actually answered with, "Well, I was born at [Blank] Hospital." Then I smiled and said, "What do you want to know after that?"

Hahahaha

I got the job, by the way. The law firm represented [blank] Hospital. What are the odds of that?
You are hilarious!! ;-) lol

Old 04-19-2009, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
But did you get the job?
Yes, I sure did! I just have a right to know (and you do too) what exactly they are asking me about.

"Tell me about yourself" is so general and unspecific, it could encompass a huge array of things.

In fact, I got hired in September of 2008 at a new job using this technique. It shows you're alive and interested.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Yes, I sure did! I just have a right to know (and you do too) what exactly they are asking me about.

"Tell me about yourself" is so general and unspecific, it could encompass a huge array of things.

In fact, I got hired in September of 2008 at a new job using this technique. It shows you're alive and interested.

Well, I repped you, because of its simplicity. But if you listen to the job coaches and recruiters and employers and H.R. people, they supposedly do it to break the ice and want you to do all of the work of narrowing it down to the position, your life, while reading thier minds of what kind of work culture they have....

but i agree why start so broad, and it is not self-evident what they want!! But after 50 interviews, one should get a clue, i guess!!

Old 04-19-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
but i agree why start so broad, and it is not self-evident what they want!! But after 50 interviews, one should get a clue, i guess!!
Don't worry about it. You're there, interviewing for the job, showing your interest by being there. They should at least have the brain cells and the manners to tell you what they're looking for. Or what they specifically need to know about you in regards to the position they're trying to fill.

Old 04-19-2009, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Don't worry about it. You're there, interviewing for the job, showing your interest by being there. They should at least have the brain cells and the manners to tell you what they're looking for. Or what they specifically need to know about you in regards to the position they're trying to fill.

Supposedly there are several types of interviewing styles;

The Gut Instinct Interviewer, which i love!

The personable, i want to know all about you interver.

The 30 questions or more interviewer.

The confrontational interviewer.

If you get the last type, she / he might say, well why do you think i asked you that question.

So you still have to answer it, in all of its vague glory! ;-)

YouTube - How to Get Hired - Job Interview Tactics

Old 04-19-2009, 06:46 PM

8,942 posts, read 20,367,927 times
You know what is as bad, if not worse, then the question "Tell me about yourself" is, "What are your good points (or good things about you) and what are your bad points (or bad things about you). Of course I can tell the "good" things about myself concerning a job (or my personal life), BUT, the bad stuff.........why would I want to talk about them things??
Actually, I've had an interviewer ask me that question, after he briefly looked at my resume and then laid the resume down on his desk. I then proceeded to tell him about myself......that is, about my job experience and education. That was it, until he asked me "so, what are your hobbies?" and I told him "boating and fishing with my wife". He was interested in me because he and his son had done some fishing on the same reservior that we did AND he had just bought a fishing boat. Unfortunately, I ended up not being able to take the job and wife and I ended up moving out of the State.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment