Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2009, 08:19 AM

17,998 posts, read 9,079,444 times

Advertisements

My mom has worked at this certain factory for almost 4yrs.

My mom treats people the way she would want to be treated. She doesnt talk mean to people or do anything that would get her in trouble.

She constantly has people that are rude to her and she doesnt know why they are rude. She feels like they treat her like she is stupid she has reported this several times over and it has done no good.

They hurt my mothers feelings so bad that she wants to stop working there pack up and move to a different place and start over.

For example:

My mother printer kept jamming last monday so she got her supervisor and they got the printer working again but then it jammed 5 times with her there so they called maitnence and the maitnence came over and the guy was really rude to my mother and she later went and told her supervisor and the supervisor said that he had been rude to her also. Tuesday her printer did the samething over and over so maitnence came over again and the same guy was very very hateful he said the awfulest remarks over and my moms supervisor said to just blow it off because that is the way he is. So on Wednesday my mother went to the main person over HR and told her what was going on and how she was treated. On Friday that HR person was there again and my mom initiated the conversation with the supervisor and talked about what the supervisor said about letting it go and the supervisor completely denied it. but she did nothing but brag about my mother to the HR person during the conversation.

The people in my mothers department at work are just plain hateful to her and my mother just cant take it anymore.

Why cant people treat others nicely in the workplace?

What is it that my mom could possibly be doing wrong?

My mother is very excellent at her job and she just wants to be treated fairly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2009, 08:31 AM

36,450 posts, read 16,057,346 times
I have worked for some very hateful people. I don't know what it is, but after 5 years I quit to save my health. They just seem to load the work on and load it on and expect the same results and don't offer any support or encouragement.

You see, they can always get someone else to do it.

I feel for your Mom!! Will keep her in my thoughts and prayers gdude!!

Old 04-19-2009, 09:55 AM

2,365 posts, read 11,133,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post

My mom treats people the way she would want to be treated. She doesnt talk mean to people or do anything that would get her in trouble.

That is the problem with examples and not being in the person's shoes. Since I am not in your mom's shoes I don't know if she should grow a thicker skin, give the person a whiplashing or report it to her supervisors orally and then in writing.

But, i do have to say, that your post did not convince me that is more than one isolated person who is the a *s hole!

The maintenance person is at fault, it appears, not the entire work crew, i.e. all of ther co-workers.

You went from one person, who doesn't work with her on a routine basis to including all/most of her co-workers.

I think that after the FIRST time, she saw that he was a rude person and blaming her for the broken machine, I would (hopefully) step aside, go to the bathroom while he fixed it or just not engage with him or her!

Many people are rude! Before unions, owners of companies spoke to thier employees with no concern for their feelings.

The best way to cure rude people, is to ignore them completely or give them a whiplashing or to ignore their rudeness, by killing them with kindness or just be honestly understanding despite the rudeness. The latter does not always work, unless the person is actually a nice person and just having a bad day.

Some people are 100 percent rude and you can't change them!

Having said all of that, I hope that your mom can think about the reasons she likes her job and ignore this guy and keep reporting it to management, in a nice brief letter!

good luck!

Old 04-19-2009, 10:08 AM

15,852 posts, read 35,169,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdude View Post

She constantly has people that are rude to her and she doesnt know why they are rude. She feels like they treat her like she is stupid she has reported this several times over and it has done no good.

They hurt my mothers feelings so bad that she wants to stop working there pack up and move to a different place and start over.

For example:

My mother printer kept jamming last monday so she got her supervisor and they got the printer working again but then it jammed 5 times with her there so they called maitnence and the maitnence came over and the guy was really rude to my mother and she later went and told her supervisor and the supervisor said that he had been rude to her also. Tuesday her printer did the samething over and over so maitnence came over again and the same guy was very very hateful he said the awfulest remarks over and my moms supervisor said to just blow it off because that is the way he is. So on Wednesday my mother went to the main person over HR and told her what was going on and how she was treated. On Friday that HR person was there again and my mom initiated the conversation with the supervisor and talked about what the supervisor said about letting it go and the supervisor completely denied it. but she did nothing but brag about my mother to the HR person during the conversation.

The people in my mothers department at work are just plain hateful to her and my mother just cant take it anymore.

Why cant people treat others nicely in the workplace?

What is it that my mom could possibly be doing wrong?

My mother is very excellent at her job and she just wants to be treated fairly.
There could be any number of reasons why this is happening. I have discovered that usually such treatment stems from jealousy. Most likely your mother IS doing a good job and everybody else is unhappy because it makes them look like the incompetent slackers that they are. They are resentful that not only is she smart and capable but that she TRIES HARD to do a good job. They, on the other hand are more than happy NOT to do a good job and bad mouth the company every chance they get.

Most probably they accuse her of "brown nosing" to try to get ahead. These kinds of people have no interest in accomplishing anything in their life and are more than happy to put in their 8 hours and not care about anything else.

Also too, people who have no control of their lives and are fundamentally unhappy with their lives often make everybody else suffer for it. As in the case with the maintenance man. He is probably a really unhappy person and hates his life and his job.

The best thing that your mother could do would be to try very hard to keep a sense of humor about the whole thing. If she acts like this stuff doesn't bother her in the least, and in fact GOES OUT OF HER WAY to seem happy and jovial when people giver her a hard time, they are going to get the message that their BS is not affecting her and that she could totally care less about it. Once they realize that they have no impact on her, they will find someone else to bother.

Also, I would advise her to get a notebook and write everything down that happens. That way, if at some point in time she does quit she can apply for unemployment benefits based on a "hostile workplace" and if she has a lot of documentation to back it up, they will not be able to deny the claim. It is always good to get as much documentation as possible.

20yrsinBranson

Old 04-19-2009, 10:21 AM

True about jealousy and keeping documentation. Unfortunately, you cannot keep documentation in the dark or silently!! You have to show to the U.C. or the courts your efforts to communicate with your employer. The thought process is that the employer can't change what they don't continue to know about. If the rude mainentance guy is verbally abusive because she is a woman, older than 40, etc.. than she can report the comany to the EEOC.

good luck again!!

Old 04-19-2009, 11:27 AM

8,189 posts, read 31,259,707 times
My husband is one of those people who thinks everyone is rude to him all of the time. The truth is that my husband is overly sensitive, looks for hidden meaning when there is none, and does not accept the fact that each person is an individual and as such will behave differently. My husband is always on the defensive and it makes people feel like they have to tip-toe around him.

Without hearing the actual dialogue that took place between your mother and her co-workers it is impossible to tell exactly what is going on. So there is a grumpy guy who fixes her printer. Big deal. Next time he comes to her workspace might be a good time for her to take a break.

The work place is just that-a work place. It is not social hour.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,302,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racelady88 View Post
My husband is one of those people who thinks everyone is rude to him all of the time. The truth is that my husband is overly sensitive, looks for hidden meaning when there is none, and does not accept the fact that each person is an individual and as such will behave differently. My husband is always on the defensive and it makes people feel like they have to tip-toe around him.

Without hearing the actual dialogue that took place between your mother and her co-workers it is impossible to tell exactly what is going on. So there is a grumpy guy who fixes her printer. Big deal. Next time he comes to her workspace might be a good time for her to take a break.

The work place is just that-a work place. It is not social hour.
Hmmm, Racelady from Indiana. Ever been to the Brickyard?

Speaking of race, is your husband a member of a minority group that was mistreated in the past? That could explain his hyper-sensitivity. In any event and no matter what race or root cause, this is usually the result of low self esteem and low self worth.

I think he needs to talk to someone professionally about the problems he has with himself. If he can begin to accept himself and like who he is, he will blossom and begin to attract people like bees to a flower. Once that happens everything will begin to fall into his slot. I'm quite sure that has not been the case thus far.

- Reel

Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 AM

Reelist is bordering on getting yourself reported...

Old 04-27-2009, 07:18 AM

1,718 posts, read 2,302,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
Reelist is bordering on getting yourself reported...
How so. Please explain.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:31 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,731,130 times
Probably by injecting race into threads about people who are having issues with something, and (not so) subtly implying that their issues are due to being a minority.

For the record, I am a middle-aged white male.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment