Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2010, 12:43 PM

2,757 posts, read 4,012,056 times

Advertisements

It's unfair, but I wouldn't. Couldn't trust him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2010, 05:48 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,964,837 times
No I wouldn't hire him/her. They wouldn't make it past the required FBI background check anyway. Felony convictions are disqualifying.

Old 12-18-2010, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 1,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Obviously most of you would not hire violent offenders arbitrarily. I also understand why most big companies automatically disqualifies individuals who have a felony record.

However, I do think it is wrong to arbitrarily refuse to give a young black male employment, especially if he has a non-violent criminal record. Most young black men are in prison due to non-violent crimes unlike Caucasian criminals. This is where the term "the white man putting us down" comes from because most small business owners are white, and most of them would not hire a convicted felon who is black.

Most advisor's refer young black men to relocate to cities like Atlanta, DC area and other cities in the south if they want to change their lives. Cities like Atlanta have many small business owners who are black, and believe it or not they are more likely to take a chance on hiring a black man with a felony record.

Not trying to stir up anything here, but I am bringing this up because I work in the corporate world and for a fortune 500 company. I started my career in Atlanta, and I was able to move up the corporate ladder in only 8 months due to great reviews that were given by upper level management there, and most of the senior managers and executives in the Atlanta office were black. My job required me to relocate and I was in a great position even though I was basically in an environment where I was the only black male and outside it was predominantly white too. I like what I did at the time however I had aspirations to move up again. Two recruiters for upper level management were interested in my resume, I was like I am going to be an executive this quickly yet they had to ask the individuals who I reported too with for reviews. Apparently whoever I reported to gave me mediocre reviews twice, and I will tell you they were not black. Isn't it ironic....???

I also don't feel appreciated for my hard work as I was in Atlanta and I also believe I am not taken seriously. Yet I am being compensated really well for a young black male in his 20's, so stop complaining friends say. Even though I am employed, and I am pretty sure many people out there would not mind doing my job I sometimes tell myself that "I would not mind getting laid off". I do not think it will happen, but if it does at least it would force me to go back to a city that is predominantly black, and either start up my own business or go back to school to work on a masters program focusing on education.

The bottom line is that I would rather be happy than disgusted and disappointed. I can somewhat relate with the many young black men going through these difficult times, because I am feeling it first hand in the corporate world in what I believe is called the "glass ceiling effect", but I guess I will swallow my pride for now and just see what happens.
You sound like a racist with a chip on your shoulder

Old 12-18-2010, 12:32 PM

2,794 posts, read 3,684,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
Obviously most of you would not hire violent offenders arbitrarily. I also understand why most big companies automatically disqualifies individuals who have a felony record.

However, I do think it is wrong to arbitrarily refuse to give a young black male employment, especially if he has a non-violent criminal record. Most young black men are in prison due to non-violent crimes unlike Caucasian criminals. This is where the term "the white man putting us down" comes from because most small business owners are white, and most of them would not hire a convicted felon who is black.

Most advisor's refer young black men to relocate to cities like Atlanta, DC area and other cities in the south if they want to change their lives. Cities like Atlanta have many small business owners who are black, and believe it or not they are more likely to take a chance on hiring a black man with a felony record.

Not trying to stir up anything here, but I am bringing this up because I work in the corporate world and for a fortune 500 company. I started my career in Atlanta, and I was able to move up the corporate ladder in only 8 months due to great reviews that were given by upper level management there, and most of the senior managers and executives in the Atlanta office were black. My job required me to relocate and I was in a great position even though I was basically in an environment where I was the only black male and outside it was predominantly white too. I like what I did at the time however I had aspirations to move up again. Two recruiters for upper level management were interested in my resume, I was like I am going to be an executive this quickly yet they had to ask the individuals who I reported too with for reviews. Apparently whoever I reported to gave me mediocre reviews twice, and I will tell you they were not black. Isn't it ironic....???

I also don't feel appreciated for my hard work as I was in Atlanta and I also believe I am not taken seriously. Yet I am being compensated really well for a young black male in his 20's, so stop complaining friends say. Even though I am employed, and I am pretty sure many people out there would not mind doing my job I sometimes tell myself that "I would not mind getting laid off". I do not think it will happen, but if it does at least it would force me to go back to a city that is predominantly black, and either start up my own business or go back to school to work on a masters program focusing on education.

The bottom line is that I would rather be happy than disgusted and disappointed. I can somewhat relate with the many young black men going through these difficult times, because I am feeling it first hand in the corporate world in what I believe is called the "glass ceiling effect", but I guess I will swallow my pride for now and just see what happens.
You may want to work on your money management skills. They are always useful if you have a petty cash fund and some spare time on your hands.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment