Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2009, 02:36 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times

Advertisements

I'm getting really panicky and desperate, so hopefully someone might be able to give me advice!

I am a 3rd year college student who is currently studying abroad. I am looking for an internship in a pretty wide range of fields in the Atlanta area. Since I am triple majoring in international environmental relations, political science, and Latin American studies, I am looking specifically at environmental and policy driven government bodies, businesses, and NGOs, but am not limiting myself and am applying for absolutely anything that I might even slightly be qualified for.

At this point, I've applied for about 30 internships and have either been told that I am unqualified (mostly for the business internships) or that my timeframe does not match theirs. I return to the US from my abroad program over a month after Georgia universities end, which I understand will put me at a disadvantage.

Since I cannot go hitting the pavement to search, I have been sending out my resume to organizations that do not have posted internship or volunteer positions as well as emailing and calling any past contacts I have made, which has turned up bust. My university is of little help since I am one of a handful of students from the South and the vast majority of their network is located in Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago, and the West Coast. I have to stay in the Atlanta area for living costs. It is free for me to live with my family or my boyfriend where it would cost me $800 a month to live in Boston (which is what I have done in past summers).

What more should I be doing? I am perfectly OK with getting just a normal summer job, but I do not have a car and will not buy one before finding a job- meaning I really cannot job search due to my rural location. I will also be returning home far after most summer jobs would be filled with high school and local college students. I don't want to lose hope, but it's looking more and more dire!

I'm really nervous because I don't want to have a wasted summer doing nothing! Summer courses also aren't an option because I simply do not need them and it would be a waste of money. I spent last summer abroad and it just doesn't seem wise to repeat when what I really need is job experience.

Anyone have any advice as to what to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 02:51 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,127,920 times
Yes, first get rid of the requirement of living in Atlanta....(There are paid internships across the united states, if you apply early.)

or volunteer at your local hospital, univesity, law school, museum...internships are everywhere!! I have also found male employers to be more receptive in creatively providing internships. (For example , i worked as an intern at the Children's hospital pathology lab.)

or try this - craigs list (but beware..there are a lot of crackpots on there).... (Also, beware the days, when unpaid internships become competitive. Internships should always give you something, even it if it is transportation money.) good luck

Reply to: comm-kdcts-1065725254@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]
Date: 2009-03-08, 1:29PM EDT

Theatre South Atlanta is looking for capable interns for our 2009-2010 season. Interns must be proficient in Microsoft Office, type 40 words a minute, be telephone and office friendly and have a love for Theatre Arts. Everything else we can teach you. We are located in the Ben Hill section of Atlanta, Ga. You can contact Ron Emile at 678-592-2086 for an interview.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I'm getting really panicky and desperate, so hopefully someone might be able to give me advice!

I am a 3rd year college student who is currently studying abroad. I am looking for an internship in a pretty wide range of fields in the Atlanta area. Since I am triple majoring in international environmental relations, political science, and Latin American studies, I am looking specifically at environmental and policy driven government bodies, businesses, and NGOs, but am not limiting myself and am applying for absolutely anything that I might even slightly be qualified for.

At this point, I've applied for about 30 internships and have either been told that I am unqualified (mostly for the business internships) or that my timeframe does not match theirs. I return to the US from my abroad program over a month after Georgia universities end, which I understand will put me at a disadvantage.

Since I cannot go hitting the pavement to search, I have been sending out my resume to organizations that do not have posted internship or volunteer positions as well as emailing and calling any past contacts I have made, which has turned up bust. My university is of little help since I am one of a handful of students from the South and the vast majority of their network is located in Boston, NYC, DC, Chicago, and the West Coast. I have to stay in the Atlanta area for living costs. It is free for me to live with my family or my boyfriend where it would cost me $800 a month to live in Boston (which is what I have done in past summers).

What more should I be doing? I am perfectly OK with getting just a normal summer job, but I do not have a car and will not buy one before finding a job- meaning I really cannot job search due to my rural location. I will also be returning home far after most summer jobs would be filled with high school and local college students. I don't want to lose hope, but it's looking more and more dire!

I'm really nervous because I don't want to have a wasted summer doing nothing! Summer courses also aren't an option because I simply do not need them and it would be a waste of money. I spent last summer abroad and it just doesn't seem wise to repeat when what I really need is job experience.

Anyone have any advice as to what to do?

Old 03-14-2009, 02:56 PM

173 posts, read 968,174 times
I have heard, and it should get worst, where experienced professionals are going for internships. It's a great way to get in the door and and below wholesale costs.

Old 03-14-2009, 02:59 PM

True,,,, i agree with iarch... beware of good thing gone bad....I am suspicious, because when I was searching for an internship for our poster-charolastra, here, i noticed that georgia had a lot of people looking for internships....probably, Not a good sign for it to be soooo numerous!!

p.s. Also, I think you should be looking for an internship in your field and at a company you want to work for in one year!! Just like in law school, you look for a job a year before you end your studies. I think the same thing should happen for college.

just a thought

Old 03-14-2009, 04:34 PM

Georgia has to stay a requirement because of housing. VERY few internships offer housing and I'm not in the position to try to search out a suitable, safe, furnished apartment in a city I have never been to before. Not to mention that I have been abroad in 3 foreign countries for almost a year now and my father is in poor health so I really need to stay close to him as much as possible before heading to my final year of university which is 1000 miles away. It's a combination of financial, practical, and family circumstances that are keeping me in the Atlanta area.

I am getting a masters degree after undergrad because even INTERNSHIPS at most locations I want to work for after undergrad require at least a masters degree. Anywhere that I can think of that I would like to work after I graduate, I have already either applied or contacted someone within the company/organization. Many seem to have cut their internship programs for this summer- even if I asked if I could do it unpaid!

Old 03-14-2009, 04:35 PM

your welcome...

i am sure you will get that internship ad., i provided. and good luck

Old 03-14-2009, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
your welcome...

i am sure you will get that internship ad., i provided. and good luck
Thanks for the ad, but that's for the season, not the summer. I go to university 1000 miles away from Atlanta (which is where my family lives) and cannot work an internship that requires work beyond August. The theatre internship is geared towards students who go to college in Atlanta and can work the full year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment