Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 06:48 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,182,643 times

Advertisements

I've had a very busy last two-weeks at work. I got way behind and made a number of errors. My boss seems to be a bit irked at me though it's hard to tell. I have a desire to explain to her what happened here and there, but I don't want to come off as making excuses so I decided to keep my mouth shut.

A part of the problem is that I was away for part of the week before last. I went to a seminar and while I was gone issues arose with my experiments, as they always do, and my dealing with them was sub-par despite my almost best efforts (I say almost because I have a cold and haven't been 100%). This week we had meetings non-stop. Many which were inserted into my schedule at the last minute. My boss thinks I have a time mgt issue. I'm sure she's right and I'm going to work on it, but I still feel like an idiot.

I have so much to do that I'm overwhelmed. If I could just go in and do my work, that would be one thing, but stuff is always breaking...or we have a network virus, or somebody needs help. She wants/expects me to delegate appropriately when I need help but everybody else is so busy that I don't want to bother them. I'm going in today, and I'll probably work tomorrow.

Should I email her with my best effort plan and an apology or what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 08:22 AM

7,085 posts, read 12,050,618 times
Apologize, take full responsibility, say you should not have let the sudden scheduling impact your work, and thank the boss for understanding. Do it in person, not electronically.

Making a ton of excuses will just make your boss angry and look like you are passing the buck. Plus if your boss tries to do any sort of punishment or even threaten to fire you after that, it's going to tarnish their reputation.

I have done worse (some not accidentally) but using that method has always fixed things and never had a problem.

Old 02-21-2009, 09:14 AM

303 posts, read 1,560,734 times
Subsound is right, you should probably address her in person regarding your situation. Ignoring some of the mistakes may make you appear as incompetent, even thought you're probably not.

I would also suggest that you have a talk, or a meeting with you fellow workers and ask for their help, especially if you need to come in on the weekends to do some work. If you communicate this to your co-workers, you'll be able to delegate more effectively, and they'll be more willing to help.

Old 02-21-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
Apologize, take full responsibility, say you should not have let the sudden scheduling impact your work, and thank the boss for understanding. Do it in person, not electronically.

Making a ton of excuses will just make your boss angry and look like you are passing the buck. Plus if your boss tries to do any sort of punishment or even threaten to fire you after that, it's going to tarnish their reputation.

I have done worse (some not accidentally) but using that method has always fixed things and never had a problem.
Thanks for your response. I agree that making excuses is a bad move. What I could do is just keep her informed as I go along. She likes to be kept in the loop but I usually have an instinct not to bother her given that she's probably very busy most of the time. I will start using the cc function in my emails. I'll speak with her on Monday (again), apologize (again), and let her know of the solutions I've come up with to avoid these issue for the future.

Old 02-21-2009, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takes1 2 Know1 View Post
Subsound is right, you should probably address her in person regarding your situation. Ignoring some of the mistakes may make you appear as incompetent, even thought you're probably not.
Thanks for responding. None of the mistaks are ignored, that's for sure. But, I am fearful of coming off as incompetent in her eyes since I was so scattered at our last meeting. I wasn't prepared and that's my fault. I need to start saying 'no' at work. That has always been a problem of mine (too many irons in the fire).

Quote:
I would also suggest that you have a talk, or a meeting with you fellow workers and ask for their help, especially if you need to come in on the weekends to do some work. If you communicate this to your co-workers, you'll be able to delegate more effectively, and they'll be more willing to help.
I went in today, and again, I found another problem. I had to spend two hours re-doing work I did last week rather than devoting that time to catch-up work. Instrumentation breaking down is just par for the course and I need to learn how to implement trouble shooting time into my schedule. And I wasn't alone! Another lab mate was there dealing with her own stuff.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:12 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,909,519 times
You sound like a great employee and if you follow the wise advice given on this thread you'll be fine.

Old 02-21-2009, 03:26 PM

Thanks Synopsis . I've been bummed and need the encouragement.

Old 02-21-2009, 06:04 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
I think you have ups and downs at work. You are just in a down time. Hang in and it will pass.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:34 PM

2,365 posts, read 11,124,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I've had a very busy last two-weeks at work. I got way behind and made a number of errors. My boss seems to be a bit irked at me though it's hard to tell. I have a desire to explain to her what happened here and there, but I don't want to come off as making excuses so I decided to keep my mouth shut.

A part of the problem is that I was away for part of the week before last. I went to a seminar and while I was gone issues arose with my experiments, as they always do, and my dealing with them was sub-par despite my almost best efforts (I say almost because I have a cold and haven't been 100%). This week we had meetings non-stop. Many which were inserted into my schedule at the last minute. My boss thinks I have a time mgt issue. I'm sure she's right and I'm going to work on it, but I still feel like an idiot.

I have so much to do that I'm overwhelmed. If I could just go in and do my work, that would be one thing, but stuff is always breaking...or we have a network virus, or somebody needs help. She wants/expects me to delegate appropriately when I need help but everybody else is so busy that I don't want to bother them. I'm going in today, and I'll probably work tomorrow.

Should I email her with my best effort plan and an apology or what?

My suggestion is to work unpaid overtime. That is what I did on my last job, but i had a key to the office. I came in a few saturdays and stayed late. Another thing is to explain, but I wouldn't. Instead I would keep a diary of each thing you do, how long it takes, etc.. Just like if you were trying to lose weight. That way you have actual data, so you can have an intelligent conversation with yourself or your supervisor if the situation arises. But the best thing is to work overtime unpaid to catch up. Second, after you have caught up, and kept a diary for a week to two weeks, then whatever is causing you to fall behind in your schedule, request that cut down on meetings. Also, keep a log for everyone to see, near your desk of every break down, every question you answer. The only problem is that keeping logs, eats up time as well. Another issue, is that often your work is at par, or very well done, in light of all constraints, and the people in charge just don't like you. In those situations, even if you are perfect, any mistake and we all make them, is seen in a far more negative light. So, being seen as a good worker, sometimes has very little to do with your actual work and more how you get along with the little and big powers that be. good luck

Old 02-21-2009, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gea12345 View Post
My suggestion is to work unpaid overtime.
Thanks for your response. I've stayed till 7pm several days this past week and I went in today and plan on going in tomorrow. I'm salaried so there isn't any overtime.

Quote:
That is what I did on my last job, but i had a key to the office. I came in a few saturdays and stayed late. Another thing is to explain, but I wouldn't. Instead I would keep a diary of each thing you do, how long it takes, etc.. Just like if you were trying to lose weight. That way you have actual data, so you can have an intelligent conversation with yourself or your supervisor if the situation arises.
From time to time, I try to keep track and then I get side-tracked. ugh.

Quote:
But the best thing is to work overtime unpaid to catch up. Second, after you have caught up, and kept a diary for a week to two weeks, then whatever is causing you to fall behind in your schedule, request that cut down on meetings.
I met up with a colleague (another lab mgr really) in the break area yesterday and he mentioned in jest that we could have a 4-day work week without all the meetings. That made me crack up.

Quote:
Also, keep a log for everyone to see, near your desk of every break down, every question you answer. The only problem is that keeping logs, eats up time as well. Another issue, is that often your work is at par, or very well done, in light of all constraints, and the people in charge just don't like you. In those situations, even if you are perfect, any mistake and we all make them, is seen in a far more negative light. So, being seen as a good worker, sometimes has very little to do with your actual work and more how you get along with the little and big powers that be. good luck
Thanks. I'm very lucky with my group, lab heads, etc. The powers that be are so supportive. I met with my mgr for my yearly objectives/goals, and she wants me to get on track for a promotion next year. She has also scheduled monthly meetings for us to discuss my career development. I couldn't ask for a better environment and I certainly recognize that it's a blessing. I read so many stories on this forum about crappy co-workers and mgrs.

One thing I have going for me is that she realizes, and has stated, that I'm a jr scientist in the group. This is my first job in industry as a F/T perm employee although she was clear the other day that the honey moon period is over lol. They're piling it on and that's how it is lol. I was a sucessful grad student and was able to swing taking classes, teaching, and doing research with relative ease. But! academia moves at a snails pace compared to industry.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 02-21-2009 at 08:08 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment