Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2008, 07:10 AM

33 posts, read 126,148 times

Advertisements

My brother and his wife have been doing the same job and same employer for over 20 years. One is a elementary school teacher and has been teaching first grade for 23 years. She has seen hundreds of teachers come and go while she stays with almost 100% job security but the same job year after year after year. My brother got in with a good company and has been doing the same job for 21 years. Same office, same duties and same boss.

Do you know anyone who has been doing the same PROFESSIONAL JOB that requires a college degree for over ten years?

If they were looking for a new job and you were a hiring manager, what would you think of them as applicants?

Last edited by the_critic; 11-10-2008 at 08:31 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2008, 07:20 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,511,874 times
I think its rare today.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:34 AM

732 posts, read 4,156,973 times
My dad has been a roofer for the same company for 25 years. He has no education and looks like a hobo so no one would hire him for anything else now. He doesnt even get a pension or benefits.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 AM

129 posts, read 444,615 times
Most of the people I've worked with are more in the 30 year range. 20 years is common. Most of the plant locations are in small towns where people are proud of the Company and their job.
The real problem people face if they want to change careers is that they can only realistically offer other companies a good work ethic. In many cases technology has surpassed their current skill levels.
Too any years sucessfuly doing the same thing is as dangerous as it is honorable.
As a hiring manager I have to surround myself with the best people available. The higher the level of advanced technology skills may win out above a great employment ethic. Additionally 20+ years at the same job places one directly in the "protected" age group who face tremendous problems in finding new work. I've heard many extimates for the length of time a person should do the same job. Some didn't impress me at all.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:39 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times
Very rare--companies do not reward the long time employee (many don't, let me correct myself).

I would think if someone stayed in the same job (apart from a career position like a teacher) for years and years they have no ambition.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:48 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,931,469 times
I have been at my current job for about 7.5 years and am in the middle of changing careers. In my experience, staying at one place too long is definitely detrimental. 1) companies don't reward people for staying on and 2) unless you have been flying up the ladder, other companies thing you're a slacker. Lots of other issues, too, but that's my short answer.

I'm getting around this by working p/t jobs in my future field to gain experience/show growth while hanging on to the old job for the benefits/vacation until I can make a lucrative leap.

I'm thinking if you stay longer than 4 or 5 years, it might be too long.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:17 AM

18,703 posts, read 33,369,579 times
I've been at the same hospital RN job for 26 years. I've left staff three times but stayed per diem (which keeps me in the seniority and pension system). Pension vesting was five years, just changed to three. It's a major reason people stay a long time.
I figured, if I'm going to stay in the area, and going to do this for a living, I might as well do it at the same place. It took a lot of mental banging around to come to this conclusion, plus some years under my belt.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:46 AM

6,351 posts, read 21,529,513 times
Military officers stay in the same job for as long as 20+ years...

Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,843,182 times
I know lots of College Professors, School teachers and Nurses that have been in the same place, same job for 20+ years. I know one college professor who taught the same classes at the same school for close to 65 years. My son has for one of his 5th grade teachers the same guy I had in 5th grade. This is his 39th year teaching 5th grade. Students still love him and he is still doing a great job. Goes to school himself every summer so he stays current on teaching methods and content. My wife works with a nurse that has been doing it in the same facility for 35 years and still loves coming into work everyday.

Even knowing people like this, I would have to say it is an exception and not very common for somebody to stay in the same position and facility for many, many years.

Old 11-10-2008, 09:50 AM

33 posts, read 126,148 times
Great replies so far. What I would like feedback on is how employers view job candidates who have been doing the same job for over 10 years.

My brother has been working at the same employer for 14 years and has been doing the same job, Manager of Customer Service, for the entire time. Now it looks like the company may close. He sees himself as a real good candidate because he has held out in a very political and demanding company for all these years while hundreds of his coworkers were pushed out or fired. He is a survivor in a real political environment.

If he were not my brother and I were the hiring manager, I may see him as stagnant, out of date, and someone who has limited experience and drive because he has been doing the same tasks day after day year after year. I suspect he will have a terrible time finding a new job. What do you think?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment