Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2008, 05:52 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,035 times

Advertisements

I think I work pretty darn hard. I put in significantly more than 8 hours a day at work, and I often put in extra hours at nights and on weekends answering email and doing research. A lot of my co-workers do the same. Yet we work for state government, and will never make big bucks. I know a lot of folks who work just as hard or even harder, some of them at jobs that entail manual labor, yet will never make more than $30,000 or $40,000 a year. So why are some careers valued so much more than others? Do the people in those jobs really work harder than the average person?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2008, 06:55 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,404,485 times
Most people I know that make big money work VERY hard. Celebrities work hard. All types of work is different. Most could not do my job, it doesn't seem hard to me. Then I remember when it was featured on Dirty Jobs, Mike Rowe saying the drilling rig was the most intimating piece of equipment he had ever been around. We all have been watching the campaigns. I doubt if I could maintain that pace. I feel that way about waitress work to. Just what your used to I guess.

Old 10-26-2008, 06:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,043,769 times
I do work dang hard, but get a pittance.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,376,113 times
Successful self employed people work hardest of any people I have been around. It is their life and everything they make goes to them and that company. So they are more than willing to put in tons of hours.

Unlike the stupid hours that corps make you put in, because they are taking advantage of the fact that they don't have to pay you for overtime when you are on salary.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
Successful self employed people work hardest of any people I have been around. It is their life and everything they make goes to them and that company. So they are more than willing to put in tons of hours.

Unlike the stupid hours that corps make you put in, because they are taking advantage of the fact that they don't have to pay you for overtime when you are on salary.
And there is the problem. You can't have it both ways. The security of a salary or, taking the risk of failure.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:14 PM

1,802 posts, read 8,171,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
And there is the problem. you can't have it both ways. The security of a salary, or taking the risk of failure.
What about corporate executives? They have the security of a salary, plus stock options, bonuses, perks like company cars and jets, and who knows what else. Are they really entitled to the almost obscene amount of money that they make? Think about the oil company executives. The little guy is forking over the $$ for gas and heating oil, the oil companies are making record profits, and the CEO's are walking away with millions.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janetvj View Post
What about corporate executives? They have the security of a salary, plus stock options, bonuses, perks like company cars and jets, and who knows what else. Are they really entitled to the almost obscene amount of money that they make? Think about the oil company executives. The little guy is forking over the $$ for gas and heating oil, the oil companies are making record profits, and the CEO's are walking away with millions.
Some place they took a risk. Played their cards right. Used their luck to their best advantage. Their salary is between them and the stock holders.

Old 10-26-2008, 07:55 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,496,858 times
Where I work the highest paid are also the hardest workers.

I have a relative that was a corporate executive and he worked very hard, long hours, made really tough decisions, worked 9-10 hour days every day, sometimes more, and worked every weekend.

Old 10-26-2008, 09:59 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,346,847 times
I think the OP was referring to entry level jobs

comparing small business owner, to pharmaceutical CEO, to celebrity, to front desk clerk is not really relevant

It all has to do with what industry is hot

these past few years it was banking, so if you knew the right people you got an entry-level job, and got paid a lot

If you got a job an analyst job at an I-Bank you made lots of money right off the bat, you can consider yourself upper class

Networking and Picking the right industry

then hardwork to make sure you keep your job

Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,722,083 times
PHYSICAL labor is practically unknown to the wealthy. Kissing butt--if you call that hard work--is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment