Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 05:17 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times

Advertisements

Check OSHA's website. If you work in an OSHA-regulated setting, they do have some standards about workplace bathroom facilities.
Not sure, but from what I remember, you can have unisex bathrooms if they are single-toilet lockable bathrooms. I don't think they allow bathrooms with multiple stalls to be unisex. But again, I could be wrong, check their site.

And as a woman, I have to agree that many women are slobs in public/workplace bathrooms. Why don't all co-workers sign up on a calendar for a bathroom cleaning day? Or hang a sign "reminding" people to leave the bathroom in the same shape they found it in.

I once had to post a sign reminding someone to flush. It went something like "we like you to be productive at work, but we don't necessarily need to see everything you produce.." (That time it was a male co-worker).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 05:26 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
I've been in places where I've had to go into the women's restroom. Sometimes, the men's is out of order. Or there isn't TWO bathrooms, just the one.

Either way, you knock and announce. If someone's IN there, they will let you know!

And I'm not necessarily going in there to USE the facilities either. There have been times where it's been part of my job to clean BOTH restrooms. Again, knock and announce. It saves one from an embarassing situation.

By the way, BOTH sexes' bathrooms were FILTHY.

Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 PM

2,982 posts, read 9,834,574 times
Actually yes, there is a problem with men using the womens room, and vice versa, its considered sexual harassment. There is no guarantee that a person of the opposite sex wont be in there when another person ventures in. Yes you say its single occupancy, but, if people use them, and dont pay attention to the sexual orientation, one might not use the lock, and one could get intruded upon, if that happened, one time, by accident, well, I rest my case. That would be all it would take. The sign is what should stop the person from coming in, not the lock. If a woman walks in on a woman, then its not quite so intrusive, but on the contrary for a man to do it.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:05 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,039,491 times
A man can sue if he goes into a womans restroom and doesn't see anything worth eyeing up!

Old 10-16-2008, 08:45 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,179 times
When fully dressed in drag, I have used the women's bathroom in crowded Galleria Mall and it was surprising how aweful the women's room is. Like pee on the seats, and hardly any tissure paper. I avoid it now. Women are way sloppier than men!

Old 10-16-2008, 11:20 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,940,301 times
If it is an emergency and somebody is about to explode then I don't think it matters too much....sure it is embarrassing and weird....and no woman wants to hear all those gross noises that come out of a man.......but oh well...

Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
Actually yes, there is a problem with men using the womens room, and vice versa, its considered sexual harassment. There is no guarantee that a person of the opposite sex wont be in there when another person ventures in. Yes you say its single occupancy, but, if people use them, and dont pay attention to the sexual orientation, one might not use the lock, and one could get intruded upon, if that happened, one time, by accident, well, I rest my case. That would be all it would take. The sign is what should stop the person from coming in, not the lock. If a woman walks in on a woman, then its not quite so intrusive, but on the contrary for a man to do it.
I had a young girl walk in on me while I was using the MEN'S restroom (men only). Well, between 18 and 20. I was in my mid-twenties at the time. But she hurried out of there, red-faced!

She was coming in to clean the restroom. Problem is, she didn't do what I now suggest. KNOCK and ANNOUNCE first!

As was suggested, what happens when one of the restrooms is out of order? "Women, your restroom is fine, but men? you're going to have to find something else to do. Go out back and hang it in the wind."

In fact, in the past year, that's just what happened at work. They completely shut down both restrooms (just not at the same time) so that they could REMODEL them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment