Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:47 AM

8,650 posts, read 17,291,144 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YBF View Post
Even if its part time employees? I mean come on obviously there is a staffing issue if everyone moust work a mandatory amount of overtime...hell they could hire temps and you know they dont pay them nearly as much as an employee.
First of all you said " 2 or 3 more EMPLOYEES" you said nothing about part time. And part time may be ok for some jobs but not all of them. If you don't like the hours you have to work, quit, I'm sure there is someone that would love to have your job. Now I'm beginning to understand what they mean by "They only come here to do the jobs Americans wont do".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2008, 11:58 AM

5,873 posts, read 12,002,912 times
I work for a very large manufacturing firm. There have been times where business spiked up and everyone was required to work overtime. You can't just "hire more people". By the time you post the job, interview, screen for backgrounds and make an offer, it's easily 6 weeks down the road. People are told before they are hired that there may be times they are required to work overtime and they need to understand and accept that when they accept the job. Management does set limits on how many hours and how many consecutive weekends people should work. I've also managed a large department and just because overtime is mandatory doesn't mean I wouldn't cut one of my employees some slack if they told me their kid's birthday party was Saturday. Most people worked most of the time and it was only a few who didn't cooperate. It was better for me and them if they found another job.

Plain and simple, if you don't want to work the overtime, find another job and make room for those who want the work.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:32 PM
YBF

1,260 posts, read 3,367,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
First of all you said " 2 or 3 more EMPLOYEES" you said nothing about part time. And part time may be ok for some jobs but not all of them. If you don't like the hours you have to work, quit, I'm sure there is someone that would love to have your job. Now I'm beginning to understand what they mean by "They only come here to do the jobs Americans wont do".
Ok first of all, I am not the OP and I dont have this problem at this time. Secondly ppl have lives and families out side of work....I know I dont live to work...I work to live...so when a company imposes on my free time ITS A PROBLEM. Besides the fact that some ppl that have this problem are salaried and that means they can go from making $20 to $16 by a mandatory 10 extra hours. What a rip off!!!!!! And while ppl should be happy to have a job that doesnt the need to be happy to be raped by Corporate America!!!! Im sure if they were told about mandatory overtime when they interviewed for the comapny they may not have taken the job. At the end of the day mandatory overtime is a problem because that mean the companies need help but are to cheap to pay for it.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM

27,200 posts, read 46,801,992 times
When I worked at Subway, the store couldn't KEEP employees. Employee turnover was high. So for those who DID stay, they often wound up with overtime. Guess what, I got paid straight time for it. I might work 10 hours a day for 6 days a week, but then I'd only get paid for 60 hours of straight time. There was no overtime pay.

I understood the need, and I put in the time. I was even willing to put in my OWN time. For instance, the inspector came in and said that there was graffitti in the bathroom. So, on Easter Sunday (which the store closed for), I went in and painted the bathrooms. Meant that the smell of paint could not offend the customers, and gave me the opportunity to get the job done, since I didn't have to stop painting to serve customers!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:42 PM

8,650 posts, read 17,291,144 times
Quote:
Ok first of all, I am not the OP and I dont have this problem at this time. Secondly ppl have lives and families out side of work....I know I dont live to work...I work to live...so when a company imposes on my free time ITS A PROBLEM. Besides the fact that some ppl that have this problem are salaried and that means they can go from making $20 to $16 by a mandatory 10 extra hours. What a rip off!!!!!! And while ppl should be happy to have a job that doesnt the need to be happy to be raped by Corporate America!!!! Im sure if they were told about mandatory overtime when they interviewed for the comapny they may not have taken the job. At the end of the day mandatory overtime is a problem because that mean the companies need help but are to cheap to pay for it.
This is still a free country and if you or anyone dosen't like their hours they are free to change jobs...It's that simple.
I was paid time and a half for anything over 40 and double time on Sunday...Why aren't you getting the same ?

Old 10-01-2008, 12:49 PM
YBF

And if you think about it an 8 hour shift means 9 hours at work if you get an hour lunch plus the time driving to and from work Im going to guess the average is about 35 min. I will round it up to an hour for traffic. That will give 11 hours a day dedicated to work plus the 7 hours of sleep most ppl get will only leave you with 6 hours a day to get ready for work, clean your house, cook dinner, spend with your kids, etc. etc. If you have mandatory overtime to fulfill that gives you even less time. And in that case I hope your spouse works the opposite hours of you and doesnt have mandatory overtime themselves, or that your kids are old enough to cook and clean, take care of themselves because they will surely be left at home alone

Old 10-01-2008, 12:52 PM
YBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
This is still a free country and if you or anyone dosen't like their hours they are free to change jobs...It's that simple.
I was paid time and a half for anything over 40 and double time on Sunday...Why aren't you getting the same ?
Not everyone is so fortunate to get time and a half. Some ppl are salaried. And it is a free country...that means ppl can come websites like CD and voice their opinions on mandatory overtime

Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM
YBF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I worked at Subway, the store couldn't KEEP employees. Employee turnover was high. So for those who DID stay, they often wound up with overtime. Guess what, I got paid straight time for it. I might work 10 hours a day for 6 days a week, but then I'd only get paid for 60 hours of straight time. There was no overtime pay.

I understood the need, and I put in the time. I was even willing to put in my OWN time. For instance, the inspector came in and said that there was graffitti in the bathroom. So, on Easter Sunday (which the store closed for), I went in and painted the bathrooms. Meant that the smell of paint could not offend the customers, and gave me the opportunity to get the job done, since I didn't have to stop painting to serve customers!

You are a better one than me because I dont work for free.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:56 PM

Quote:
And if you think about it an 8 hour shift means 9 hours at work if you get an hour lunch plus the time driving to and from work Im going to guess the average is about 35 min. I will round it up to an hour for traffic. That will give 11 hours a day dedicated to work plus the 7 hours of sleep most ppl get will only leave you with 6 hours a day to get ready for work, clean your house, cook dinner, spend with your kids, etc. etc. If you have mandatory overtime to fulfill that gives you even less time. And in that case I hope your spouse works the opposite hours of you and doesnt have mandatory overtime themselves, or that your kids are old enough to cook and clean, take care of themselves because they will surely be left at home alone
My spouse didn't work. None of the girlfriends I have had worked either.

I am responsible for bringing in the financial rewards, so I've worked two full time jobs before. Sure, the reason I did it was to "try out" the newer job, and it only lasted me three weeks, but I work anywhere between 20 and 30 hours during tax season, in addition to my other job.

My time is meant to bring money into the home, to provide the financial support necessary.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
You are a better one than me because I dont work for free.
A man can be measured by the quality of his work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment