Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 11:15 AM

129 posts, read 444,827 times

Advertisements

Oh the agony!
I have no intentions of retiring before I turn 65 so there's 5 full years left. So what? What if I fall over dead at work? Again, so what?
I guess the basic question is should I use a professionally written resume and should I hire a headhunter or recruiter that specializes in us old worthless boomers?
I'm trying to have a little fun with this but there is nothing funny about it. In my life I have only had 4 jobs all of them industry related and my resume was never used during an interview.
All I want to do is move back to my home town and give an employer 5 or even more good years. Something like this at 60 is deadly serious business. It's not "coasting out" as some describe it.
So, will a "pro" resume and recruiter help at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 12:35 PM

8,957 posts, read 20,385,036 times
Even though my resume doesn't show it, I'm 59 years old and I've been without a job for almost a solid year now. We have lived here in the Charlotte, NC area for almost a year and have found out that there just isn't that many jobs here for me. And, the ones that are here ask for a Bachelors Degree and/or
Certification. I dont' have either of these and haven't needed either of them to get my previous jobs. My resume was done by me and a lot of "Headhunters" can't find people jobs who haven't got a college degree.
My wife is a degreed accountant, done her own resume and got with some 25 Agencies/Headhunters when we arrived here last Oct. and none of the 25 she registered with really helped her. The job she's had for 9 months now, she got off of a job website on the Internet.
Good Luck to you, but I'd do my own resume and really, really watch out for those "Headhunters". They can be a help sometimes, but other times they are a "waste of time.......period!!"

Old 09-22-2008, 12:46 PM

732 posts, read 4,158,794 times
Most people of retiree age get part time jobs at retail or work as crossing guards here. Gotta keep the mind sharp.

Old 10-06-2008, 02:03 PM

Wall Street is limiting our coasting out opportunities.

Old 10-08-2008, 06:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,332 times
Default No Age limit- No resume needed!

You should check out Heartland Select. Wonderful product plus several ways to earn income- pick your own hours, choose you own salary, get healthy or maintain health at the same time while getting paid. www.GetHeartlandNow.com for more information.

Old 10-08-2008, 07:02 PM

5,979 posts, read 19,904,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
Oh the agony!
I have no intentions of retiring before I turn 65 so there's 5 full years left. So what? What if I fall over dead at work? Again, so what?
I guess the basic question is should I use a professionally written resume and should I hire a headhunter or recruiter that specializes in us old worthless boomers?
I'm trying to have a little fun with this but there is nothing funny about it. In my life I have only had 4 jobs all of them industry related and my resume was never used during an interview.
All I want to do is move back to my home town and give an employer 5 or even more good years. Something like this at 60 is deadly serious business. It's not "coasting out" as some describe it.
So, will a "pro" resume and recruiter help at all?
I guess it really all depends on the industry and the job you're in and what is customary in the hiring process. For example, banking, legal, healthcare and IT work go by resumes and mostly by recruiters. I believe that retail only uses application forms unless you are in management in retail. Oh and BTW, I don't consider 60 as "worthless boomers". Some of the ones I know are more productive than their younger counterparts.

Old 10-09-2008, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibit612 View Post
I guess it really all depends on the industry and the job you're in and what is customary in the hiring process. For example, banking, legal, healthcare and IT work go by resumes and mostly by recruiters. I believe that retail only uses application forms unless you are in management in retail. Oh and BTW, I don't consider 60 as "worthless boomers". Some of the ones I know are more productive than their younger counterparts.
I have "practiced" the art of Manufacturing Engineering for 39 years. I do not have a degree having been drafted into the Army in 1970. I just didn't return to school to finish up. Degree or not age sneaks up from behind and throws out the anchor.
I've been watching the retirement ages creeping up on my Social Security statements. There is no way most American Companies are going to keep employees up in their seventies.
I agree that most older employees exceed the performance expectations of jobs they do. There may be physical limitations that come into play but that in itself is one reason that older people desire and truly want to excel at something else.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:00 AM

571 posts, read 1,303,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy-Bill View Post
Oh the agony!
You are not "worthless!" You sound like a nice person with a great sense of humor, and I respect that you are eager to work. Good luck.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:25 AM

43 posts, read 154,966 times
With your experience you can probably do a good job on your own resume. Your resume's job is to get you an interview so approach this from the hiring manager's perspective.

Re: Recruiters and Headhunters. They are in the business of finding people for jobs; not jobs for people. To have any success with them you need to find one that has a history of success placing people in your area of expertise. With all your experience the lack of a degree should not be a problem but it's all in how you present your talents.

Networking is often the best way to find a good opportunity. The book The $100,000+ Career shows you how to focus your efforts in that way. Another thing to try is the niche job boards. Here's one that specializes in manufacturing. http://www.jobsinmanufacturing.com/

Hope that helps. Good luck to you....

Old 10-09-2008, 03:25 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,222,276 times
You could use the ASRP Senior Job Search help. It is free and reliable.

AARP Foundation: AARP Foundation Senior Tax Aide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment