Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2008, 09:43 PM

2,141 posts, read 7,879,497 times

Advertisements

Here are some ideas:

Mail Carrier - I know 2 ppl that got into this a couple years ago, one was already 40 the other one older. They both love it. You're outside, alone, walking and delivering mail and emptying mail boxes. Very little exposure to people and no need to work out with all of the walking. I think they have part time opportunities.

Freelance proofreading - I know someone who does this for printing companies and he does it from home

Transcription - I actually did this in the 90's for a couple of years. Clients are companies that hold conference calls that they want written record or, as well as law firms. I was charging $3.00 per typed page back then. You need a computer, Word and a digital telephone dictation machine. Of course, you have to find clients, but it's steady work you can from home.

Personal assistant - I did this line of work for some too for a Chicago socialite. I went to her house only once week for several hours to pick up my work. The rest I did from home and would phone her as necessary. I made her restaurant reservations, bought her holiday cards (and addressed them), typed her letters that she gave me handwritten once a week, did research for her on the internet, made her hotel and travel reservations for her, shopped around for services for her (carpenters, caterers, etc). Once you do a good job for one socialite, you can get additional work from others. I did this as a side job to my primary job.

Hope that helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2008, 10:54 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,316,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
You seem like an expert, can I ask a few questions

Do investment property brokers have to be introverted or extroverted?

B2B sales has got to involve lots of cold-calling, and fishing right?

Doesnt that require that you be extroverted to do those things?

I have been thinking about getting in full-time sales myself, and am having the same doubts you had about yourself in the beginning

to the OP:

If you own a house maybe you could get a lone for your own rental building, and then manage it yourself?
I'd love to do that but it will have to be further down the road. I own my house but only for 2 years now. Not enough equity yet. My mom owns a rental property (actually the house I grew up in) but in her experience you really don't "make money" unless you own more than one. She has a loan payment to make and then with needed repairs on the property she doesn't make enough to live on off that one property, just an income supplement. That would be awesome though, down the road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinolala View Post
Here are some ideas:

Mail Carrier - I know 2 ppl that got into this a couple years ago, one was already 40 the other one older. They both love it. You're outside, alone, walking and delivering mail and emptying mail boxes. Very little exposure to people and no need to work out with all of the walking. I think they have part time opportunities.

Do you know if they had a hard time getting hired? I've "heard" that they strongly prefer to hire ex-military and that's an issue because I'm in a military town, lots of ex-military to compete against. I have always thought it seemed awesome. Well, summers would suck if I stayed here (very very hot)... but overall awesome and solitary. And apparently you don't even need to be friendly! My current mail carrier is a scowling, grumpy guy. LOL.

Freelance proofreading - I know someone who does this for printing companies and he does it from home

Another thing I'd love to do but haven't found an opportunity yet where they don't want a degree. I know I could do it, without the degree... but how to convince employers? I have done it for friends (for pay) before. This is right up my alley. I'm one of those people who can't read anything, professionally written or otherwise, without finding errors!

Transcription - I actually did this in the 90's for a couple of years. Clients are companies that hold conference calls that they want written record or, as well as law firms. I was charging $3.00 per typed page back then. You need a computer, Word and a digital telephone dictation machine. Of

course, you have to find clients, but it's steady work you can from home.

Personal assistant - I did this line of work for some too for a Chicago socialite. I went to her house only once week for several hours to pick up my work. The rest I did from home and would phone her as necessary. I made her restaurant reservations, bought her holiday cards (and addressed them), typed her letters that she gave me handwritten once a week, did research for her on the internet, made her hotel and travel reservations for her, shopped around for services for her (carpenters, caterers, etc). Once you do a good job for one socialite, you can get additional work from others. I did this as a side job to my primary job.

Hope that helps!
Thanks for the tips. My biggest issue is not knowing how to get started on many of these if they typically want experience. The transcription thing for example. I learned a bit of that in "secretarial school" years and years ago but I have almost no memory of how to do it now.

Old 09-06-2008, 04:30 PM

266 posts, read 1,109,471 times
Check out "200 Best Jobs for Introverts" ISBN 9781593574772. Published in 2008. Not only does it have plenty of ideas, but has resources for each job, how to get started, and where to find more info if you see something you like.

I saw this at my local library. You could also read it in the bookstore.

Old 09-07-2008, 02:06 AM

2,141 posts, read 7,879,497 times
My friend (mail carrier) was in the corporate world for 20 years. No college degree, nor is she a veteran. Get this - she takes the Civil Service exam and 2 days later gets called up by the Post Office. Several months into it, she lands a route in her town! The same thing happened to my cousin, a retired teacher and not a vet either. He got a job right away and delivers mail in his town. Look into it! You have nothing to lose.

As far as the proofreading goes, get people that you've done proofreading for before to write you recommendation letters. Then start hitting the phones and the pavement and contact printers. The guy that I know who does it, does it specifically for printing companies. There may be other businesses that may use too.

As you said, it takes work to find work. You have to market yourself.

I didn't have to provide credentials to do the transcription. The clients are making no investment in you. If you do badly, they'll dump you. Call area lawyers to offer your services. You can buy the equipment online.

Old 09-07-2008, 08:58 AM

434 posts, read 3,182,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Chutzpah View Post
You seem like an expert, can I ask a few questions

Do investment property brokers have to be introverted or extroverted?

B2B sales has got to involve lots of cold-calling, and fishing right?

Doesnt that require that you be extroverted to do those things?

I have been thinking about getting in full-time sales myself, and am having the same doubts you had about yourself in the beginning

to the OP:

If you own a house maybe you could get a lone for your own rental building, and then manage it yourself?
I won't claim to be an expert, but there are lots of sales jobs that do not require being an extrovert. Most of the jobs where an introvert works best are things like account management sales jobs. Another way of looking at it is there are sales jobs for hunters and sales jobs for farmers. Hunters are always on the prowl, ready to kill for the next sale, farmers on the other hand tend to be patient and nurturing.

From what I have seen, anything real estate related(especially in today's market) requires that you be a hunter. Sales jobs that are best for farmers tend to be anything that requires you to see the same clients or prospects and keep selling them products that they use up. One of my friends that sells printing is the most low key people that I have ever met and he reminds me of Colombo. Kind of stumbles through the door, mutters through the sales call and then at the end has some brilliant passing thought that comes out of nowhere. When I met him I could not believe that he was the top sales rep in his company and was making $250,000 a year. But he is low key and keeps calling on the same people year after year and his clients were extremely loyal to him.

Old 09-07-2008, 10:19 AM

3,632 posts, read 16,193,263 times
I can relate to this thread. There are many days that I wished I had a job that I'd be left alone. Some days I am, but then there are the days when my crazy co-workers get into your business or the stupid staff meetings and such. I wish I had my own office, that would help tremendously!! My goal is to work from home in the near future. Hint: I'm starting my Life Coaching business right now. I can't wait to be able to be at home and have my business!!!

Old 07-15-2011, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 4,442 times
be a sperm donor

Old 07-15-2011, 01:25 PM

7,031 posts, read 14,521,350 times
If you're tech savvy and have some money saved up, maybe consider day trading stocks/bonds/futures/options/ETFs, etc.

Having an education in economics, finance, and/or business is a plus but not necessary. An IT background in addition would also be helpful.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:39 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,663,024 times
I have been wondering the same thing myself for a long time. I knew I definitely wasn't the only one thinking this way. I absolutely hate all of the office B.S. and just want to work alone. I am a programmer and even though I am probably left alone maybe 80%-90% of the time in a given week, the other 10% still sucks a lot. Like someone else said, I'm not a very social person and only enjoy other people if they really pique my interest in some way. I looked into freelancing as one possibility. The issue is that so many programming jobs on freelancing sites are done by Indian programmers for $5 an hour. Your competition becomes global.

There are "corporate" type jobs out there that are "telecommuting" jobs. In other words, you get the perks of a corporate job without all of the office B.S. While you may still need to talk on the phone with clients or others, you get to work at home. These jobs are sort of rare, but they are out there. I know they exist in my field anyway. So maybe look into that possibility. This would be awesome gig for me to land because I would get the same type of paycheck and benefits but get to do all of the work at the comfort of my own home.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 PM

63 posts, read 131,440 times
Default Some people can't understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post
Economics. Eww... too much math for me! More power to you though.

If I didn't live in Texas I would consider something outdoorsy. Horticulture, Landscape design, parks & wildlife. It's too hot here though! I am uncomfortable unless it's under 75 degrees.

I don't know why, but most delivery or driver jobs (auto parts, delivering food/drinks to stores, whatever) seem to be staffed by guys, and I'm female. I don't know if that will be a negative or not in getting hired... but it's always guys doing it even when it's not heavy lifting.

I could handle being a property manager, showing apartments or rental homes, collecting rent, dealing with repair issues...I would even clean/paint and do make-ready (well, I can't do plumbing or any of that). The contact with the "public" would be brief. It seems like the fun of real estate (seeing lots of different places) without the pressure to sell, but I have no idea how to get into that field. Every prop. management job I've seen requires previous experience.

Reading your initial and subsequent posts brought out a small but increasingly lengthening smile across my face as I recognized my traits & personality in you and in the career dilemma you have.
I am like you in many ways and I have the exact same wish for how I wish to spend my time when working.
But I can see that others on this thread don't understand you, mostly because they can't unless they are like you.

Those who think that sales is an avenue just because you are away from people don't understand the nature of introvert people (with all the nuances and variants).
For extroverts, they are energized by people.
For introverts, their energy is drained by too much contact with people.
Selling involves being the focus of attention and being put on the spot.
If you are a reserved sensitive person, that's the last thing you want.

If you've gone to a party, have you stayed for more than an hour?
And did you go early before all the boisterous noisy people arrived?

I spent many years in unsatisfying work, and even several years in ad sales before I knew myself well.
I was so unhappy but didn't know why. I eventually went to a career analysis company (before such things were well known) and they told me I must be dying inside, which I was.
Those sales years were the most anguishing years of my life, but I did enjoy the travelling/exploring around in between going to sales calls.
Sales is all about personalities - if the customer likes you, they'll buy from you, all things being equal.
I didn't understand that and I was never personal with my prospects and customers.

For many years now, I have worked in some form of data administration which engages me heavily with a computer and I now sit in front of a screen all day long and mostly I do not speak to anyone and prefer not to use the phone either.
The work is not technical as I am not that way minded. I just have a super eye for detail and love fixing errors, researching info and correcting/finding various bits of information to add to databases, etc.
I can work anywhere with an internet connection but many companies, my employer included, have this funny thing about staff being "in the office" and I can't seem to get them to change their attitude on that.
I can have the odd day working from home if there is a reason and when I do so, I am far more productive and happy and am not at all self conscious when using the phone like I am in the office, which is an open plan hell.

The problem with this work is that I have been getitng increasingly intolerant to office life and all the social hooey that goes on each day: greetings, the never ending "what are you doing this weekend/what did you do at the weekend" blah blah and blah and even the "what did you do/see/eat last night" for the extreme socialites.
I realize many people are genuine and all this is just social small talk, but to me and others, this kind of stuff is so "will-to-live sapping" and so I avoid it as much as possible.

We recently moved offices and are now grouped together with facilities staff who spend a lot of time talking to each other and to people on the phone, shouting, laughing and all at the top of their voices.
They don't seem to have a variability setting and there's no subtlety with them. Their office phone ring tones are loud and outrageous. I am mortified if I forget to put my cellphone on silent.
Its like a chicken coop in the office most of the day and so without my headphones listening to film score music or Pandora, I just wouldn't be able to stand it and would have to quit.

There are people who think nothing of talking most of the time but that's how they are and there's nothing inherently wrong with that, its just for someone like me and you, its an assault on my sanity.

I too would like some kind of outdoor, forestry, woodlands job, even on a farm. These don't pay well and the work will be hard but maybe the happiness would make up for it.

I have also worked in property management but I would caution you about this avenue.
It may seem to be a suitable job for your personality type but what I found is that while I was really well organized and perfectly competent in my tasks, dealing with people was the biggest problem I faced, when people where not being reasonable or had higher expectations.

What I could not do is find a way to handle someone who is wild or belligerent or unreasonable or overly expectant or impatient, or who would make huge dramas out of nothing.
It used to drain me dealing with such people and who would then go off and think nothing of what had just taken place, while I spent some time wondering if I had done the right thing or said the right things or why didn't I say this or that...
You have to be thick skinned in property management and be a much less sensitive person than I am. If you are sensitive, you won't last in property management.

I was also told that being a sound engineer would suit me and that i have the aptitude for it.
While this does appeal to me very much, that profession has been decimated by the growth in home recording and the cost to learn the craft is high and getting a job in that field is essentially almost impossible without several years grafting and then getting something through connections. So I will just look to that as a hobby perhaps.

Take a look at this list for possible ideas.
http://listphoria.blogspot.com/2010/...e-to-work.html

Last edited by ISTJ Vortex; 08-03-2011 at 06:06 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment