Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2008, 01:10 PM

146 posts, read 641,839 times

Advertisements

I thought this job was going well until this morning when my boss came into my office and asked for my resignation. He said it was not a good fit and he wanted to go in a different direction. (this has happened to me before!) He said he did not want to deal with the idiots in Human Resources who have the power to approve all terminations. I understand they need the manager to go through a process of progressive discipline with an oral warning, written warning, performance improvement plan and final warning before they can fire someone. (unless it is a case of gross misconduct (fighting, stealing, lying, cheating, etc)

Because I use to work in HR and want to get back into it someday, I know my manager has nothing on me but a personality mismatch. I told him I would not resign and to start the process of working with HR to fire me. That got him all worked up and he stormed off and I have not seen him since. I work as an Office Operations Manager for a large Portland Office of a IT Company.

I could collect unemployment if I could show I was forced to quit and got notice from the company that they were firing me if I did not quit. But the HR Rep is on vacation and no one can really do anything without her OK, or the COO. I suspect my boss has not talked to the COO, and would just say that I quit and left without notice. I would be sold as a troublemaker who left the company in a lurch.

What would you do if you were in my shoes. Jobs are not growing on trees and I make good money here.

Last edited by Oregon Transplant; 08-22-2008 at 01:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 01:15 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
I would do exactly as you did. He had no right to ask you to resign. It's going to be tough to live with him until it happens, but he put himself in this position. Since you've been in HR, just think how easy it would be if every employee you had problems with you could just ask to resign. Um...it doesn't work that way. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:20 PM

3,031 posts, read 9,091,054 times
If you resign, you can't collect unemployment. I wonder if that was one of your boss' ulterior motives.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:29 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,737,038 times
Don't resign! Let him go through HR and do it properly. Hopefully this should give you enough time to find another job. Someone pls correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought it's also harder for you to collect unemployment if you resign (vs being fired)?

Your boss calls the HR dept idiots. Does he even realize the termination process is in place to protect the company from employment related lawsuits? Mention that to him since he seems to be the clueless one.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:38 PM

795 posts, read 2,299,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post
I thought this job was going well until this morning when my boss came into my office and asked for my resignation.

What would you do if you were in my shoes. Jobs are not growing on trees and I make good money here.

Brisbane, CA 94005 - What! you left Oregon to live and work in Calafoney!! Boss has a local boy he wants in your job.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM

13,406 posts, read 28,741,978 times
Don't do it. Let it go through the normal HR process

Old 08-22-2008, 01:39 PM

146 posts, read 641,839 times
I can collect unemployment if I can show the state that I would have been fired if I do not resign. I would have to create a letter signed by the employer accepting my offer to resign at their request. (this according to the nice folks I talked to at the unemployment office during lunch time)

They advised me to try to get a severance pay settlement assigned to my last day of employment. If I get a lump sum check in severance assigned to my last day on the job, I can collect unemployment effective immediately.

The head person in HR is out on vacation, as well as my bosses boss, so I suspect the boss wanted me to quit immediately so he would not have to get their permission.

I would like to stay but a transfer is out of the question because of my skill set and no openings at this time. I am sure the boss if he is told to go through a formal process will make up all kinds of things and have all kinds of subjective complaints. Will have to see if HR will accept a formal warning with no objective real problems.

I will keep you informed!

Old 08-22-2008, 02:33 PM

5,870 posts, read 11,934,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregon Transplant View Post

The head person in HR is out on vacation, as well as my bosses boss, so I suspect the boss wanted me to quit immediately so he would not have to get their permission.

I would like to stay but a transfer is out of the question because of my skill set and no openings at this time. I am sure the boss if he is told to go through a formal process will make up all kinds of things and have all kinds of subjective complaints. Will have to see if HR will accept a formal warning with no objective real problems.
Can you preempt that by telling HR that he asked for your resignation? Not in a way that sounds like a complaint, but more like a question on protocol?

Old 08-22-2008, 03:19 PM

266 posts, read 1,108,572 times
Aren't you curious as to the real reason why he wants you gone? I would try like crazy to find out. Especially since you thought everything was fine.

Old 08-22-2008, 03:52 PM

673 posts, read 2,717,759 times
Your boss's request may originate from concerns with a) unemployment payments or 2) wrongful termination action. And, yes, in most states, if you resign, you can't collect unemployment, even if you have a reason.

You need to talk to your local workforce office now and put this situation on the record. Ask for an appointment with a counselor. It may or may not make a difference if your boss fires you or if you are forced to resign through hostility, etc.

You should collect copies of your work, commendations, job reviews, etc. now while you can: for an unemployment claim and in lieu of a reference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment