Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2008, 06:56 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,770,324 times

Advertisements

Another way to screw a micromanager is to not say anything when you see them fouling up; a variation on the dummy-up thing. I've seen people really stick it to micro-managers that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2008, 07:00 PM

799 posts, read 2,169,871 times
Default Snakes in the grass ~~~~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Another way to screw a micromanager is to not say anything when you see them fouling up; a variation on the dummy-up thing. I've seen people really stick it to micro-managers that way.
Yep...they don't want you to appear brighter than them...so don't help them out. Let Darwinism take it's toll on them. If you help them, then they will be rewarded and you won't get rid of them. These are the kind that won't appreciate your extended help, and they will take the credit for the work.

I went through years of being the nice, midwestern raised person, who did the right, moral, and ethical thing on the job. I have had so many people screw me over, so now, good people get good from me, but snakes, I beware of them, and I do not help them. Because in the long run, what you do for a snake won't matter, they are out for themselves and will cut you every time.

Old 07-29-2008, 10:19 PM

104 posts, read 412,143 times
I worked for one micro-manager that anything I did always required his special permission. Even going off to use the bathroom would require his permission if he knew as well. I have a tendancy to **** off those types.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:37 PM

1,669 posts, read 6,401,632 times
I used to deal with a VP who loved to micro-manage. I voiced my opinion each time he checked on my project. To deal with him, I basically took work home and email him the completed project. This way he did not stand over my back, ask for print outs or bother me. I knew the cut-off and completed the work on time. His problem that he was insecure with his job and wanted to take credit for everything. I rubbed his ego when the need call for it.

Old 07-30-2008, 11:17 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,967,001 times
show up to work messy and with mud on your shows. Don't forget to wear sweaty underwear.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:43 PM

1 posts, read 2,660 times
I have a sales guy that is the same way. He calls every hour on the hour asking me the same questions over and over again and then wants to know when i will be done with what I am doing! I've been in the business 20 yrs and never had anyone like this before. Some days I want to shove the phone up his !@#.

Old 07-07-2009, 09:38 PM

3,804 posts, read 9,327,461 times
Set him up. Do absolutely everything he says and when something goes wrong and you end up talking to HIS boss, sheepishly tell that boss that you are doing everything you are directed to do, and are uncomfortable going around your current boss, etc.

If you do this right, your boss' boss will get you alone and give you an opportunity to spill your guts. Don't be vindictive. Just relate to that person that it's difficult to do the job as you see it because you spend a lot of time training your boss, and it's tough to go into corrective mode with your immediate superior.

Did your boss get the position via nepotism? That's how it happened to me. Took a long time, a lot of cussing in my car after work, but I got the guy canned. I set him up and he is gone.

Don't back off once you put your plan in motion. Work this right, and you will end up with autonomy, a raise, and those up the ladder will appreciate your loyalty and commitment. It's not personal, it's business. Take him down.

Old 07-07-2009, 10:35 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,770,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pfhtex View Post
Set him up. Do absolutely everything he says and when something goes wrong and you end up talking to HIS boss, sheepishly tell that boss that you are doing everything you are directed to do, and are uncomfortable going around your current boss, etc.

If you do this right, your boss' boss will get you alone and give you an opportunity to spill your guts. Don't be vindictive. Just relate to that person that it's difficult to do the job as you see it because you spend a lot of time training your boss, and it's tough to go into corrective mode with your immediate superior.

Did your boss get the position via nepotism? That's how it happened to me. Took a long time, a lot of cussing in my car after work, but I got the guy canned. I set him up and he is gone.

Don't back off once you put your plan in motion. Work this right, and you will end up with autonomy, a raise, and those up the ladder will appreciate your loyalty and commitment. It's not personal, it's business. Take him down.
Basically, I did just that (my boss and his boss were both micro-managers, and both were there less than two years), and the result was a layoff!

But I might have been laid off anyway, since I was making more than an entry-level person (I was there 11 years), and the company's objective was to be as cheap as possible, experience be darned.

Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,649,066 times
I know this is an older thread, but since I'm currently in this situation, I thought I'd add a comment. My manager is under a lot of pressure from their manager. So now I'm constantly being asked about my status, how much longer it's going to be til I'm done, what's taking so long, etc. I sometimes wanna respond, "I'd finish sooner if you'd get off my back." I always thought the best managers are the ones that insulate you from outside pressure so you can focus on your work without being distracted. Some managers think the exact opposite, that they have to pass the pressure they're under onto you. I suspect my boss is insecure about their job. Now I just take the attitude "it'll get done when I can get it done."

Old 01-18-2011, 07:28 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,698,410 times
Denny, what if every day before lunch or after, you send a status update email?

I hate micro-managers. Working for them is just soul-sucking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment