Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2017, 09:44 AM

1,336 posts, read 1,830,020 times

Advertisements

Original post was from 2008. No doubt retails hours are not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2017, 10:05 AM

925 posts, read 759,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Indeed they aren't.....especially if you're like me and can't drive/have to use public transit to get around. (Seems like a lot of retail places insist on complete open availability)

Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,353,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyinca View Post
Oh damn I notice that late.
Anyways its a good discussion to have about Retail hours

Old 02-23-2017, 10:09 AM

1,637 posts, read 1,353,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane de Poitiers View Post
Indeed they aren't.....especially if you're like me and can't drive/have to use public transit to get around. (Seems like a lot of retail places insist on complete open availability)
a lot of folks then realize they want to better themselves other than a career in retail once they work in it.

I was lucky to never work in retail
I started off working in a college campus as my first job
Pretty sexy hours and definitely offers friendly hours so you can enjoy your weekends and holidays
The pay did suck thou.

Old 03-25-2017, 07:26 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,200,528 times
Insterting post from 10 years ago. Hopefully, the OP has landed a 9 to 5 job.

I worked retail grocery during that age as well, and I agree with the Hemlock that your work schedule is based on the need of the store.

But to comment on the "rant", the person writing the work schedule seemed to be willing to work with the OP and at least give this person a workable schedule. Instead of working late on saturday nights, the manager switched his schedule from 8 to 4. This was done be because working late the night before and working early the next day is a hassle. It can be done, but it does wear thin on your sleep and body.

Next, he worked in the back room during the summer months from either 8 to 4 or 10 to 6, which are decent and consistent hours for retail. No working until 10pm and getting up at 6 am to work at 7. But during the fall he was transferred to assistant dairy frozen manager. He was scheduled to work until 9:30, but the manager heeded his complaint, and scheduled his Saturday work until 8:30. Again the manager was fair and did his or her best to accommodate the workers schedule. Additionally, the manager had the OP come in Sunday's from 3 to 9 during the spring and summer months, because as the days get longer people tend to shop more in the evening in retail. This messed up with with the OP wanting Sunday afternoon off after church. Was he going to church on Sunday mornings to avoid working on that day? Probably. And yes, everyone else in retail would like to have Sundays off to rest and relax too, including the managers.

The solution to the problem is to find another type of work that just involves day time hours.

Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,822,029 times
well if he’s 27 now hopefully he’s making more then 5.00 hourly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment