Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,448,750 times

Advertisements

I just talked with the bus company and they say they are getting ready to send out information with a date where you have to go and watch a video and then you have to take a 50 question test. If you pass, then you go onto the next step which, I guess, if they select you, is the training.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2008, 11:40 AM

3,631 posts, read 10,245,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
I just talked with the bus company and they say they are getting ready to send out information with a date where you have to go and watch a video and then you have to take a 50 question test. If you pass, then you go onto the next step which, I guess, if they select you, is the training.
good luck! do you have a CDL/did you have to get one to apply for the position? I'm just curious. (I couldn't ever do it; the people I have to ride with drive me crazy- i can't imagine having to actually put up with them while driving the entire thing . I have a lot of respect for bus drivers, actually.)

Old 07-10-2008, 11:47 AM

3,758 posts, read 8,448,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
good luck! do you have a CDL/did you have to get one to apply for the position? I'm just curious. (I couldn't ever do it; the people I have to ride with drive me crazy- i can't imagine having to actually put up with them while driving the entire thing . I have a lot of respect for bus drivers, actually.)
Thanks! I think they said that after training then you can apply for your CDL. You also have to get some other certificate, too.

Old 07-10-2008, 09:06 PM

763 posts, read 2,262,875 times
Most places, getting the CDL is part of the training. Most places will also pay for it, as well as paying you for the training (usually at a lower wage), dependent upon you remaining employed for a certain period of time.

I don't know your marital status, etc., but if you're up for spending a long time away from home, you can work for a tour bus company and you can make a whole lot of money in a short period. They will work you the maximum number of hours you can legally work (a lot of overtime), and you will get tips. There are some drivers here who clear $2000 per week, but that's only for a few weeks (usually 100 days) per year.

Old 07-11-2008, 06:17 AM

203 posts, read 928,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PG77 View Post
The video test is pretty standard in the business now. Here we needed at least a 60% pass in the driving portion and 90% in the customer service portion. Basically setting up "situations" than asking what you would do in those circumstances(multiple choice). If you pass that, you'll probably be asked to go on "job shadowing" where you'll go on several routes and fill out a paper...........after that 1-2 personal interviews............actual training can be anywhere from 3-6 weeks mostly classroom, airbrakes and then on road training.........

The driving part of the test is easy if you know how to drive properly.......if you don't?! there's nothing i can do to help you...........the customer service? just keep in mind for the whole test "The Customer is ALWAYS Right!" and it should be a cake walk............not that difficult, this job is all about Attitude.........if you have the wrong one, they'll eat you alive! the Right one, you'll have dough in your pocket and definitely have reached a "higher level of awareness" of the human condition! Good Luck! (i think?!)

Old 07-11-2008, 06:25 AM

203 posts, read 928,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crew Chief View Post
EXCELLENT advice, Overtaxedunderpaided and Elgusano! Especially the part about driving only if your other options are limited. i feel that way about ANY sort of CDL driving. I truly love my job. And i'd recommend trucking or bus driving to anyone. But I'm SO thankful I had a full and wonderful carrer in the military first. While you can stay engaged behind the wheel (by being engaged when you're not...) I believe that it's much better to drive after you've done other things (the passengers might even think of you as more worldy...)
Aint that the truth! Most can't believe i used to work in the airport, railroad, travel agency, water treatment and a laboratory before i ended up here........kindof got that look like........"Gee, i thought you were just another dumb bus driver"!! Ha!............got news for you folks........alota bus drivers used to be dental hygenists, lawyers, construction workers, truckers, police officers etc etc

Old 07-11-2008, 11:11 AM

763 posts, read 2,262,875 times
We have a former baseball player from the Mariner system.

Old 01-11-2009, 05:21 PM

1,809 posts, read 7,066,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elgusano View Post
We have a former baseball player from the Mariner system.
I bet he is making more money driving a bus than when he was in the minor leauges. How far did he get in the Mariners organization? Was he ever invited to spring training?

I took the NYCTA bus operator exam last year,still waiting for my score and list number. I got my CDL B with passenger endorsement last summer. To the original poster of this thread you can get a lot of good information about driving a city transit bus here.

Transit Career Discussion Forum - NYC Transit Forums

Most hate it but tolerate it. Like others have said on this thread if your options are limited it can be a very good paying job if you can handle the stress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment