Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 12:42 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,934,126 times

Advertisements

A field that tends to do better when other fields go downhill is human services. We always have jobs, especially in mental health. When the economy tanks, more people get depressed and need our services even more!

Go for a Master's in counseling, social work, or psychology. Many human service organizations offer tuition reimbursement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 06:44 PM

782 posts, read 3,792,193 times
Today we had an announcement.The #2(allied waste) and #3 (Republic services) waste companies have merge, because of fuel prices and falling housing markets.

Old 06-16-2008, 06:49 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,307,586 times
My otherhalf was working in the restaurant business (pizza cook). Was "fired" but the rumors around the workplace (and as evidenced by other "firings" since then of long time, good employees) is that they're really layoffs and boss was just waiting for any reason to do it. Business had been very slow and he was cutting hours from 40 to 20 left and right.

I was laid off from a clerical job at a law firm. They streamlined their methods and eliminated all of us, all over the country, who mainly did mail clerk and filing. So I don't know why it came about, but there were gaps in the new system and the employees remaining have to do the work we're not there to do anymore on top of their own... yet they still canned all of us.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:29 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,975,479 times
I would say that nurses and police officers seem to be in very good shape. They tend to be able to find work easily and are in demand almost evrywhere.If one part of the country goes in to a decline there are alot of others that they are in demand in ;especially with experience.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:33 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,524,750 times
Medical imaging. Some of the staffing companies have laid off or closed up. Wages for rad techs have decreased.
Nurses have it good now, but hospitals don't like paying them such high wages, and they have to hire so many of them.
Schools are working hard to fill up those gaps, and they do this with every profession like that... they filled up the computer industry, and they will do the same with this.

Old 06-18-2008, 01:36 AM

4,978 posts, read 9,524,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
A field that tends to do better when other fields go downhill is human services. We always have jobs, especially in mental health. When the economy tanks, more people get depressed and need our services even more!

Go for a Master's in counseling, social work, or psychology. Many human service organizations offer tuition reimbursement.

Yes, live off others' misfortunes. Therapists make as much as an MD, and yet, are not obligated to cure or solve anyone's mental illness or problems. You could have a friend listen to your problems for no cost at all, or someone who went through something similar. I think the whole profession should be regulated and not be allowed to charge such high prices and take advantage of people.

Old 06-18-2008, 09:24 AM

5,652 posts, read 19,371,339 times
people that I know have had layoffs in recently in: anything having to do with mortgages and real estate. And I and other co workers just got laid off as graphic designers (no warning - company financial problems). The marketing budgets are the first to get slashed in a downturn.

Old 06-18-2008, 02:10 PM

2,517 posts, read 11,063,666 times
A local newpaper (Miami Herald) is going to lay off 250 people. Mortgage brokers left and right down here are filing for bankruptcy. It's very sad. Restaurants are closing left and right here in South Florida and HOA property management companies are laying off left and right as well.

Old 06-18-2008, 03:24 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,934,126 times
Hey, nebulous, I'm not in the for-profit sector of mental health! We're in a non-profit company and see people with Medicaid, Medicare, as well as some with insurance or even the uninsured.

I'm sure some high-priced private therapists in Manahttan or LA make as much as doctors, but not here in the "real world" of mental health! And we are HIGHLY regulated. Again, private therapists that rich people pay out-of-pocket have no accountability. But if you accept any insurance, your work is scrutinized, and you have to demonstrate that your interventions are having positive results, or you stop getting paid. If you take any government funds, like Medicare or Medicaid, your work is scrutinized even more (And should be, I agree). I just had to jump in and defend my field!

Also, there are many problems that just "talking to friend" won't help.

When I said that my field tends to do better when the economy goes down hill, I said it in an admittedly flippant way, but in no way did I imply that I like to benefit from others' misfortunes!

Those in the mental health field will always find a job, but very few of those jobs will have outstanding pay. That's not the reason we choose this.

Old 06-18-2008, 04:08 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,784 times
I work in the field of special education. Special education is stressful. We start out with shortages and most teachers burn out and leave the field after five years. I'm an administrator and I've been sued, been involved in many due process hearings and faced difficult issues like kids dying. Unfortunately, I'll never be out of a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment