Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 08:23 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,747,349 times

Advertisements

Are low wage jobs hard to get in this economy?

I don't bother applying for low wage jobs because of my SSDI... But some of you here are long term unemployed or employed in low wage jobs just to get by...

My H.S. friend Noel has a lot of restaurant experience and despite his felony he gets restaurant jobs quickly in this economy.

What low wage jobs are hard to get?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 08:57 PM

29,825 posts, read 24,917,786 times
I don't think low wage jobs are as hard to find as some people claim. Part of the problem I suspect is people are selective about what jobs they will and will not do. I have worked at large production plants that hire damn near anyone for low skilled work like monitoring computer controlled/robotic equipment. No experience? No problem, because they are always looking to train the lowest common denominator. The jobs are boring, the hours are long, standing for long hours and lifting is generally required and the retention rate is often poor. Adding to this, half the population can't seem to do simple addition and subtraction, so it's an extra bonus for those who can count.

Not saying I would be thrilled to do such a job, but they are jobs, and the companies seem to hire anyone with a couple brain cells to rub together. Typically, these jobs pay better than McWalmart jobs and offer health insurance/dental, etc. The upward potential is also pretty decent for the mechanically inclined. I don't quite understand why 100's of people line up when McDonalds is hiring but these places might find a couple potential candidates for hire in a month.

I did that crap when I was younger. With the OT, I was doing quite a bit better than my burger flipping counterparts.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:10 PM

805 posts, read 1,161,841 times
A lot of people would be deemed "overqualified" for low wage jobs, so they can hard to come by for some college graduates who are desperate for work. Also, while relatively few employers would knowingly hire a convicted felon, many small employers (such as restaurants) do not want to go the expense of a background check and I suspect that is how your friend gets hired.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM

21 posts, read 35,471 times
Restaurants don't work like other businesses, in my experience. I've worked in them for years, and I've seen everything from employees smoking marijuana in the parking lot to management getting sexual favors in the walk-in coolers.

I'm used to working with felons. At my last restaurant, my manager was a single mother with a few meth-related felonies, and I've known several chefs who obtained culinary degrees in prison. It's the nature of the industry, not the expense of background checks, imo.

Last edited by strangecasualty; 01-25-2013 at 05:50 PM.. Reason: Accidentally posted before I was finished. :(

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM

1,148 posts, read 1,683,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_the_facts View Post
A lot of people would be deemed "overqualified" for low wage jobs, so they can hard to come by for some college graduates who are desperate for work. Also, while relatively few employers would knowingly hire a convicted felon, many small employers (such as restaurants) do not want to go the expense of a background check and I suspect that is how your friend gets hired.
I am a college graduate and worked a couple low wage jobs to survive this crappy economy. I have a BS degree and was hired through two temp agencies at around $9-$10 an hour doing factory work. You can get a low wage job if you have a degree, but I suspect most(not all) people use the whole "overqualified" thing as an excuse.

There are some parts of the country where even low wage jobs are hard to get. I was in Yuma, AZ where the unemployment rate was around 27% when the recession first started. There were hundreds of folks lining up for low wage jobs there and it was tough to get call backs even from El Pollo Loco. Even the illegals in Yuma were even going back to Mexico because they couldn't find jobs. Here in Indiana, I haven't had the problems I had in Yuma in getting low wage jobs.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:47 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
They should be because who wants a low wage job?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:55 PM

2,633 posts, read 6,400,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
They should be because who wants a low wage job?
Somebody without a job.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:03 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EzPeterson View Post
Somebody without a job.

And what is a low wage job going to accomplish?

Old 01-25-2013, 08:08 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,712,828 times
I don't think they are hard to get but the need to go through background checks, credit checks, assessments, reference checks, etc all for 10/hour seems a bit much.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:12 PM

3,276 posts, read 7,846,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
And what is a low wage job going to accomplish?
The ability for the unemployed person to eat and put a roof over his head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment