Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2008, 09:39 PM

622 posts, read 3,119,875 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/ny.../19vendor.html

Here's what i saw a few years ago. i remember it was in front of the MMA.^^^ Here's a quote... ($575,000 ouch!! I was off by a 0)

"Out in front of the crowded entrance to the Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the more lucrative spots in Manhattan to sell hot dogs. It is so good, in fact, that one of the largest pushcart vending companies in New York City pays $574,000 a year to the city for the right to place two hot dog carts there."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2008, 01:46 AM

18,739 posts, read 33,600,767 times
I think it's become a cultural norm to say, "Start your own business/go for it." (Witness the number of "web designers" running around). A friend of mine had a real estate rental business for years, and I remember her saying, "Doesn't everyone want to be their own boss?" and I was forced to admit, as much as I thought I'm a free spirit or some such, actually, when it comes to work, I'm an excellent drone. I've always had jobs where the tasks were dictated by where I was in the shift (younger years, a nightly news broadcast, recent years, night shift RN). I have no desire to figure out a payroll or laws and taxes for any employees. I guess you could say I have little self-motivation.
I did consider creating a side job of doing resumes for other people, as I have done many for co-workers and friends. This was largely before software resumes came available. But I always would have a "real job" with benefits and someone else doing the paperwork/benefits.
I do work nights because I am not, uh, overly good at petty personal politics. I still get hung on it working third shift, but far less than I would on regular shifts.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:00 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,909,187 times
seeing as how 70% of all new businesses fail in the first year. I am here to tell you that it isn't that easy.

With the huge trade deficit I can tell you we don't buy stuff from Americans anymore. We buy it from China. What goes around comes around.

Personally I would start something with a small investment. I started a couple websites a while back and it is only recently that I am getting recent cash flow from it.

Took me 1 year to make my first 100 then 3 months after that my next 100 and now I am getting a 100+ check each month. Decent income considering most of these websites I spend little to no time on anymore. Almost like owning a dividend paying stock. Now just to figure out how I can turn that 100 dollar check to 3,000.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:24 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,506,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I think it's become a cultural norm to say, "Start your own business/go for it." (Witness the number of "web designers" running around). A friend of mine had a real estate rental business for years, and I remember her saying, "Doesn't everyone want to be their own boss?" and I was forced to admit, as much as I thought I'm a free spirit or some such, actually, when it comes to work, I'm an excellent drone. I've always had jobs where the tasks were dictated by where I was in the shift (younger years, a nightly news broadcast, recent years, night shift RN). I have no desire to figure out a payroll or laws and taxes for any employees. I guess you could say I have little self-motivation.
I did consider creating a side job of doing resumes for other people, as I have done many for co-workers and friends. This was largely before software resumes came available. But I always would have a "real job" with benefits and someone else doing the paperwork/benefits.
I do work nights because I am not, uh, overly good at petty personal politics. I still get hung on it working third shift, but far less than I would on regular shifts.
I was one to say "start your own business". Not under Obama. Sit tight. I am lucky enough to be able to control my own luck because I opened the business years ago. I just spent $587,000 to do it. I was sure Obama would win. So, I bought a new well rig.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:46 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,780,679 times
I think it's a little premature to say Obama will kill small businesses. Politicians say a lot to get elected - remember universal health care under Clinton?

That said, there are always risks involved with starting a business, as multiple threads on this site attest.

Old 11-07-2008, 01:58 PM

596 posts, read 893,535 times
My best advise is pleasepleaseplease do NOT open a restaurant. The failure rates are absolutely shocking.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:43 PM

2,541 posts, read 11,371,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewJersey? View Post
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/19/ny.../19vendor.html

Here's what i saw a few years ago. i remember it was in front of the MMA.^^^ Here's a quote... ($575,000 ouch!! I was off by a 0)

"Out in front of the crowded entrance to the Metropolitan Museum of Art is one of the more lucrative spots in Manhattan to sell hot dogs. It is so good, in fact, that one of the largest pushcart vending companies in New York City pays $574,000 a year to the city for the right to place two hot dog carts there."
Actually I tawked to a hawt dawg vendor today who was plopped in front the Housing Court House and i asked him if he paid any licensing fees, or if he was restricted as to where he set up

He told me no

He said you just have to 25 ft from signs, hydrants, not in front of restaurant

He said he can go anywhere he wants within a reasonable limit

He also said you can be right next to another vendor too, as long as every is cool with both

but then again he could be lying

Old 11-07-2008, 08:43 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,268,206 times
Here's something my dad did, he worked construction and sold food, water, soft drinks, gum candy, whatever from his truck. construction sites oftentimes don't have food facilities nearby. On good nights he cleared $200+!!! In addition to his pay!

Also, that's what helped pay my college tuition........THANKS, DAD!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment