Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2024, 06:20 AM

1,215 posts, read 504,710 times

Advertisements

Very rude. They are there to clean. They should not be eating or using your microwave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2024, 06:21 AM

3,374 posts, read 1,963,607 times
They should not be doing this without your permission. If they're coming every two weeks and there are more than one of them, they shouldn't be at your house for more than two or three hours at the most. They can schedule their lunch time before or after their jobs and eat something less labor intensive - like a sandwich.

I have one cleaning woman who comes regularly and I have a Keurig which I tell her to use freely (and she does) and I always have a small plate of breakfast type of snacks out for her. I also tell her to help herself to cold drinks in the fridge. She works for two hours straight and has coffee and a snack while she's working. She is a great help to me and we have a very nice relationship. I pay her more than what she asks. I feel like we have a mutually respectful relationship and it works.

Old 02-17-2024, 07:48 AM

9,850 posts, read 7,716,018 times
I would expect them to ask first. I don't hover over people who work at the house, but I do tell them where I'll be if they have any questions.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:12 AM

2,116 posts, read 1,320,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
If the cleaning people leave the microwave dirty, you have the wrong cleaning crew.

It would not bother me if a person who is spending several hours working in my house uses the microwave to quickly heat something up, any more than it would bother me if they used the toilet, or washed their hands in the sink. I would expect that most people would ask, but if they didn't ask, I would feel uncomfortable saying "You should have asked!" or "You can't heat that up here!"

It's just not a big deal to me.
You are right about the bolded parts. Anyway, I dislike certain food smells badly. Even if whoever used the microwave and cleaned it up, but there were the smell of stinky fish and shrimp paste in my house, it would drive me insane.

I'm not a confrontational type. But I do have my preferences and want to speak up when I feel I'm taken advantages off. Setting up written rules/policy/boundaries at the beginning prevents conflicts, misunderstanding, stepping over the boundaries and suffering the discomfort/uneasiness silently.

Old 02-17-2024, 11:37 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Did they at least clean it afterwards?

Old 02-17-2024, 11:47 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOrdinaryCitizen View Post
You are right about the bolded parts. Anyway, I dislike certain food smells badly. Even if whoever used the microwave and cleaned it up, but there were the smell of stinky fish and shrimp paste in my house, it would drive me insane.
What are the odds that they're going to be microwaving shrimp paste vs. soup or pasta or something? It's basically common knowledge to not reheat really smelly stuff in common areas, and no need to ban "the help" using your microwave on the off chance that they may possibly maybe heat up fish.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:16 PM

12,058 posts, read 10,264,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I definitely saw the food on my counters and heard the microwave but I'm not sure if they ate in my house...they maybe went and ate in the car. I don't know. It does seem awkward...I wouldnt want someone to not eat, but it's just interesting the concept of paying someone to clean your house and they're using your stuff to heat up the food and eat there.

I am basically afraid to get in their way when they are here...so i didn't dare go up to see what was happening. They seem very nice...but I didn't feel like dealing.

i texted my DH about it who basically organized them coming to our house and he pretty much said, who cares .
Agree with the hubby.

Old 02-17-2024, 12:32 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
What are the odds that they're going to be microwaving shrimp paste vs. soup or pasta or something? It's basically common knowledge to not reheat really smelly stuff in common areas...
You'd THINK it'd be "basically common knowledge" that you don't use the microwave of someone who's hired you to clean without asking permission, but you'd be wrong!

Old 02-17-2024, 01:00 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,681,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
You'd THINK it'd be "basically common knowledge" that you don't use the microwave of someone who's hired you to clean without asking permission, but you'd be wrong!
You would probably think it was fine if they used your microwave for their cleaning job. For instance, if there was a cleaning product that needed to be warmed up to be used effectively, or if they needed really hot water to clean something, I doubt their use of the microwave would bother anyone.

Same people probably think it's fine for "the help" to run water in the sinks and flush toilets if they are cleaning them, but not if they need them for personal use. They need to ask your permission to use the toilet to pee.

I'll just restate that I think it is fine for people who are in my house doing a job for my personal benefit to make use of items to meet their basic human needs. Not talking about pulling out pots and pans and rummaging through my refrigerator to cook a meal, but to heat up a cup of coffee or something, or for pete's sake to use the toilet or wash their hands, that is totally fine.

Last edited by saibot; 02-17-2024 at 01:32 PM..

Old 02-17-2024, 02:13 PM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I'd honestly prefer they not eat here...it was weird to see their food in containers sitting there on counters I am paying for them to clean...but I'm also human and think they should be able to have a lunch break. Just not sure it should have anything to do with my house. I guess we'll see if it happens again. I was on work calls and am not sure if they ate in my house...but I'm pretty sure they used the microwave
Why don't you just talk to them about it, and tell them they have to ask before they use anything that belongs to you? Maybe they clean several houses and the other people don't mind, so they thought you would be OK with it. If you aren't, say something.

Make a list, if this really bothers you. Can they plug cleaning equipment into your electrical outlets? Can they use your sink to wash their hands or do you expect them to go to the gas station, wash their hands and then come back? I'm surprised this is such a big issue. You should, of course, tell them that if they make a mess with their stuff while engaging in a personal activity, they have to clean their mess and won't be paid for that time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment