Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 07:06 AM

61 posts, read 54,215 times

Advertisements

I’ve done extensive research and it’s almost impossible to get a job without experience. I’m 49 and have no experience in the healthcare field. My mother keeps pushing I go to get a medical billing certification because her friends daughter (who is in his 20’s) did it and got a job right away in a hospital. The odds of that happening is rare. I told my mother that the market is saturated and I am not going to spend money on a certification I can’t use. She said I’m just making excuses and I will get a job (at my age with no experience. I feel she is wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2023, 07:09 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
What kind of work are you doing now? What kind of work do you want to do?

Old 12-07-2023, 07:11 AM

61 posts, read 54,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
What kind of work are you doing now? What kind of work do you want to do?
I was laid off but I’ve always done sales support/customer service

Old 12-07-2023, 07:14 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Do you want to keep doing that? Do you want to change into a new field that would need training?

Old 12-07-2023, 07:41 AM

4,542 posts, read 2,687,302 times
So your mother, working off a sample size of one, who by the way is a person at a very different stage of life than you are, is trying to push you to do something you think isn't a good idea/waste of time.

Well, seems to me you need some kind of plan; one that you do think is a good idea.

If you've been selling, or doing inside sales support, for 25+ years, that's where your experience is. Yes, it's hard to get a job with no experience. But you HAVE experience.

Do you WANT to make a career field change? In that case, examine all options - fields where it's essentially impossible to get a job at 49 without significant prior experience aren't viable options. There are other fields where it IS possible to get a job at 49 without significant prior experience. Those are viable options; investigate those, and not some other ones.

If you DON'T want to make a career field change, then look for jobs in the field where you already have 25+ years of experience.

Old 12-07-2023, 08:17 AM

142 posts, read 85,264 times
Wasn't medical billing a career fad about a decade ago? I think a couple of decades ago, it was accounting and now it is tech jobs, but there have been layoffs at a lot of the big companies.

What do you have an aptitude for that pays reasonably well? That's what I'd look for.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:41 AM

3,979 posts, read 2,357,086 times
Medical billing and xray technician is/was the rave. I would pursue it if it is cost effective. Community colleges have these courses that will give you a certificate. After you get the certificate, the rest is up to you but there is a need for those 2 professions. Just have to find the right pocket. Just my .02.

Old 12-07-2023, 10:50 AM

32,659 posts, read 48,067,543 times
You simply have to get another job and then that should stop her. All you have to do then is to point out that you already have a full time job so do not need to get a medical billing job.

Old 12-07-2023, 11:27 AM

1,921 posts, read 908,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
I’m 49 and have no experience in the healthcare field. My mother keeps pushing I go to get a medical billing certification...She said I’m just making excuses

How are you almost 50 and still feeling chastised by your mother? Simply tell her no, that you have your own path to walk, and walk it. If you're wanting to change careers, perhaps go to tech school and learn a trade. They are always hiring.

Old 12-07-2023, 01:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
A lot of tech companies are trying to streamline the medical billing process. Healthcare companies would love to cut overhead. This can be either a challenge (maybe fewer jobs in the field) or an opportunity (if you can adapt to new processes better than other people).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment