Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2024, 03:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
45,068 posts, read 82,368,103 times

Advertisements

Just one, who is still an officer in our area. His father and his grandfather were also police officers and for some that family thing helps overcome the problems like the suspects having more rights than the officers.

A good friend was a policeman in a big west coast city with high crime, I even rode with him one night. He was fed up seeing people he arrested back doing the same thing a few days later, so he quit, went to law school and became a prosecutor for the county. That went well until the judges started getting too lenient, and he started to see repeaters in court after short sentences. Fortunately a high ranking judge moved in next door to him they became friends, and when a judge retired he was given an appointment to fill the vacancy until the end of the term. He ran in the next election and until he retired was well known as a judge that actually enforced the laws. Too few of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2024, 05:24 AM

25,095 posts, read 9,816,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
dangerous, lousy hours, lousy working conditions, lousy pay, what's to like?
Lack of options, power, perception of power.

I have friends who are police, and I respect them, because police have to deal with crazy and dangerous people daily.

Old 07-02-2024, 05:57 PM

30,559 posts, read 52,268,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm just curious who has aspirations to still be a police officer these days out there in the vicious, brutal streets?
That's nothing new. In fact, most violent crime is DOWN since the '90s (with a slight uptick during the pandemic). We just hear more about it now.

That being said, I only have one acquaintance who's in law enforcement. He's been an officer in a suburb of San Francisco for over a decade now, and seems to like it just fine. Nice guy, and a HUGE body-builder type; so I don't think he's messed with too much.

Old 07-02-2024, 09:21 PM

10,460 posts, read 14,154,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
I'm just curious who has aspirations to still be a police officer these days out there in the vicious, brutal streets? I heard on the news that the second, largest city in the US only has X amount of cops, which isn't suprising to me. I sure wouldn't want to be one...I NEVER wanted to be one.

Whoever still does, I say God be with you to keep you safe everyday.
This thread is still open? Damn!

Old Today, 01:39 PM

23,939 posts, read 24,521,928 times
My former brother-in-law was a sheriff’s deputy in Southern California. He entered the academy at a young age, a few years after high school. At first, he enjoyed the work. After 15 years, he went back to college, earned a BS degree and resigned as a deputy. He is a physical therapist assistant now.

He mentioned (15 years ago, roughly) when he retired, about the rampant disregard for law enforcement and the law. He believed it would get even worse in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment