Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2023, 11:13 AM

1,076 posts, read 565,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Remote learning during the pandemic left students short of basic skills. Now companies are trying to teach them on the job.
This article is rubbish. The online universities that I am aware of do not offer programs in areas like robotics or engineering or any other area that requires hands-on lab work.

While maybe there is a small blip caused by required remote learning due to COVID, this is nowhere close to being the norm as it is being presented in the OP.

Here's just one example: University of Florida Online - BSN in Nursing

Quote:
The RN to BSN curriculum requires students to satisfy a total of 90 clinical hours. In the first semester, NUR 3066C: Health Assessment, 45 hours will be obtained through virtual simulation. In the fourth semester, NUR 4636C: Population Health, 45 hours are obtained through independent clinical experience. Students must choose a zip code within proximity of their current location, travel throughout the semester to the zip code, and complete a clinical project from their informal observations of the community.
The rest of the degrees offered are all degrees that can be done remotely via discussions, assigned readings, and critical thinking assignments. Notice there are no robotics or engineering degree programs offered.

Southern New Hampshire University, another prominent online university, offers an online Computer Science degree and Engineering Mgmt degree, but no degrees offered that would require extensive hands-on lab work.

Purdue University - Global's offerings. Again, no degrees offered where extensive hands-on lab work is required.

Last edited by digitalUID; 08-07-2023 at 11:26 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2023, 11:29 AM

35,133 posts, read 31,431,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
This is something I've been seeing for the past 10 years or so, even before COVID and have brought up several times in the education forum. The problem is we're not talking about job specific training here but a lacking in fundamental basic knowledge and skills. I've lost count of the number of times I had to teach recent graduates how to write a research paper.

They think Wikipedia and Google ARE research. More than a few have literally copied Wiki articles and pasted it in to the paper as the "research." A few Google some things and paste that in. What, did they think I couldn't read and Google something? There is of course the issue of they plagiarized everything (didn't they ever get taught??) but also, they think that's all they have to do and they're done. I've literally taken some to the library and introduced them to the research librarian and then had to teach them how to research journals for relevant data and how to cite their sources. Stuff that's basic 101 type knowledge. These are folks with 3.5+ GPAs.

They're very good with tools like MATLAB but lack a fundamental feel for what the data means. They know how to solve the same problems that have already been solved (and used as examples in textbooks) but not how to solve a new problem.

From what I've seen in applications, resumes, and new hires, some colleges do a much better job of preparing students than others. We do training with a very well-defined training program. But these new hires are just not at the level expected to enter training compared to a generation ago.
That's kind of my understanding as well.

My girlfriend has a 23 year old and a 19 year old. Neither are "stupid," but they're clearly not at the level of critical, independent thought that was expected of me in college back in the mid-late 2000s. Back then, computers still augmented your thoughts and processes, not essentially doing it for you or replacing it.

Old 08-07-2023, 02:09 PM

854 posts, read 784,391 times
Colleges don’t teach practical skills, like using a lathe……that was true even in the 80s. Back then, it was very unusual to find an Engineering student that could use AutoCAD. That was why the US Army wanted me on their job as a senior project, I had experience.

This was a hiring error, this manager had the wrong expectations…..Engineers are not machinists.

Old 08-07-2023, 03:01 PM

12,885 posts, read 9,118,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shark01 View Post
Colleges don’t teach practical skills, like using a lathe……that was true even in the 80s. Back then, it was very unusual to find an Engineering student that could use AutoCAD. That was why the US Army wanted me on their job as a senior project, I had experience.

This was a hiring error, this manager had the wrong expectations…..Engineers are not machinists.
They did where I went. At least in the department I attended. Now days not so much, but back then yes. It wasn't that they expected us to come out as machinists or skilled craftsmen, but that they expected us to understand how what we did related to those who had to actually build things for us. It's very easy to design things on paper or in CAD that can't be fabricated on the shop floor. Or at least not without some extras that weren't thought of in the design process.

Just like I think every architect should spend a couple summer as a furniture mover. They would have a different perspective on how things fit (or don't) through halls, stairs, and doors.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:59 AM

5,724 posts, read 4,322,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
‘How Do I Do That?’ The New Hires of 2023 Are Unprepared for Work
Remote learning during the pandemic left students short of basic skills. Now companies are trying to teach them on the job.

[Snip.]

The article begins:

Baloney. It has nothing to do with the pandemic and everything to do with computers. Young people can't find the produce aisle without Google Maps.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 08-28-2023 at 11:22 PM..

Old 08-08-2023, 09:07 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,480,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
This has not been my experience at all, but whatever works to keep churning out forum participation.

Our class of summer interns have all been pretty exceptional. The intern I supervise crushes everything I give them, asks the appropriate questions, and has even improved on some of our processes.
And it's a bit unreasonable to expect that there would be no learning curve for someone fresh into the work world. People don't know what they don't know. We've also had some great interns, but there's often a difference between doing work for a short term limited project and doing a job day after day. Part of mentoring new employees is getting them up to speed and not making them afraid to ask questions or make mistakes.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:25 AM

1,076 posts, read 565,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
And it's a bit unreasonable to expect that there would be no learning curve for someone fresh into the work world. People don't know what they don't know. We've also had some great interns, but there's often a difference between doing work for a short term limited project and doing a job day after day. Part of mentoring new employees is getting them up to speed and not making them afraid to ask questions or make mistakes.
Next headline's gonna be: "Toddlers coming out of the womb with inability to read and write or ride bicycle" with a plethora of comments following behind chastising our youngest generation of being fully incompetent relative to prior generations "because of them 'puters". Followed by 60-70 year old posters lamenting about how kids knew how to shut up and be 'real' adults with 9-5 jobs "back in my day".

Last edited by digitalUID; 08-08-2023 at 09:38 AM..

Old 08-08-2023, 09:38 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk55732 View Post
Not a surprise if the skill that they are asked to do is something you would learn would be hands on. However, the title of this thread is false. Its not that they are unprepared to work. They were never taught the specific knowledge for some skills.
And that's one definition of "unprepared for work".

Old 08-08-2023, 09:41 AM

5,222 posts, read 3,031,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
And that's one definition of "unprepared for work".
By that definition then everyone is unprepared to work on their first day.

Old 08-08-2023, 09:41 AM

102,255 posts, read 108,215,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Very few people out of school can do anything unless they interned...

Doctors and nurses and dentists are expected to do internships.

Typical journalistic sensationalism.

You hire the best and brightest students and pay them based on potential and demonstrated work ethic
This is what law firms have always said about law grads; they've memorized a lot of case law, but actually applying it to real-life situations, and handling the technical paperwork that goes with that, is something they can only learn on the job. In that sense, most law grads are unprepared for work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment