Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2023, 08:53 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,857,329 times

Advertisements

What kind of work would you consider meaningful?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2023, 07:48 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomotivation View Post
I'm not getting in trouble, nobody has told me I'm not pulling my weight.

I just find it soul destroying and work was much more bearable when I worked hard. I've done some boring repetitive jobs in the past such as data entry, but at least I could race through the day knowing there would be a constant stream of work coming my way.
A did not suit you and now B does not suit you. Will C?

Old 04-19-2023, 07:32 PM

980 posts, read 538,618 times
Quote:
Yes money is a motivator but one thing I've learned is that hard work doesn't equal more money.
I would agree in terms of your job. But education is hard work and it pays off if you pick the right track. Is a masters degree an option for you? Maybe a masters degree in finance?

Personally my kids, along with all the homeless people I see on my commute to work are enough motivation for me.

Old 04-20-2023, 04:50 PM

54 posts, read 32,931 times
We go for a paycheck.

Go back to school and switch careers if you want to be interested by something new.

Old 04-22-2023, 03:38 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,575,394 times
Quote:
Doesn't look like I can edit post, here's the condensed version:

When I was younger I worked hard, was good at working quickly and accurately, taking on bigger workloads and meet tight deadlines.

Then started working at an advertising agency where work was pointless and slow but had good manager, was able to build my workload and seen as a top performer.

Things got ugly over time because of new toxic managers, politics, red tape, workload getting lighter and lighter and in the end there was virtually nothing to do.

Made the odd attempt to leave but was inclined to stay due to false promises. Spent last 2 years there actively looking to leave, interviewed for 24 different jobs but was offered none. Made redundant after 10 years.

Decided I needed to get away from advertising but after 5 months unemployment and countless interviews was contacted on LinkedIn about job in advertising, but not at an agency. Pursued it in desperation and was offered it.

This company isn't toxic and full of politics like agency and there's more work to do. It's still a pointless advertising company, I have no belief in what they do and can't motivate myself to do the job.

How do I get my old work ethic back?
You've told us what you don't want to do, but what do you want to do?

Make a goal or two and then work out a plan to get there. That's the only tried-and-true method that has ever worked for me when I have a motivation problem (and sooner or later, almost everyone has this in some form.)

Old 04-22-2023, 08:04 AM

13 posts, read 10,410 times
I already have a masters degree. My job exists across multiple industries not just advertising and any industry looks more appealing than advertising.

When I did data entry it was for a supply chain company and I found what they did interesting. In fact every company I worked for prior to the advertising agency did something meaningful. The only issue I had with the company I left to join the advertising agency was it didn't pay enough.

Old 04-22-2023, 09:50 AM

24,479 posts, read 10,804,014 times
Quote:
I already have a masters degree. My job exists across multiple industries not just advertising and any industry looks more appealing than advertising.

When I did data entry it was for a supply chain company and I found what they did interesting. In fact every company I worked for prior to the advertising agency did something meaningful. The only issue I had with the company I left to join the advertising agency was it didn't pay enough.
When you are done with the pitty party go and find another job. Make sure you point it out from the beginning that it has be be meaningful and pay enough. A Masters is a piece of paper for your office wall if you do not know how to use it and need five months to find a job.

Old 04-23-2023, 09:46 AM

13 posts, read 10,410 times
It goes without saying that I need to find a new job away from advertising but until that happens I'm stuck with the job I've got. In the beginning I would always ace the tests I'd gets as part of the recruitment process but in recent years I've been screwing them up too. I'm forgetting everything that used to come easy to me.

I think I need to address this to help me get a new job if anything.

Old 04-23-2023, 10:56 AM

307 posts, read 164,059 times
I don't think you lack motivation, I think you are bored and have been bored for a long time and it is sucking up any bit of enjoyment and excitment you have left. Aside from applying to jobs yourself, find a recruiter that connect you to new jobs.

We don't know your financial situtaion but is it possible to take a small pay cut to move to a new job? The more jobs you are willing to consider the bet better your chances of jumping ship soon.

Old 04-23-2023, 12:01 PM

29,739 posts, read 34,362,964 times
Is there anything within your current job that you enjoy? Could you talk to your supervisor and ask for additional training or if there are opportunities for advancement to better fit your skills and interests, or is it that you don't find advertising meaningful and that's it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment