Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2023, 05:40 PM

24,612 posts, read 10,936,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In that case, what about lateral mobility from other CDL occupations?
Please read up a bit on CDL - training, background/clearinghouse, pay. The good ones are on the road making over 90k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2023, 05:41 PM

48,542 posts, read 34,904,021 times
I worked for them for over 5 years, and that had always been the case in the state I lived.

It can be a very sucky job, and I wouldn't want to do it for 90K. Most of our drivers made over 80K, 20 years ago.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-06-2023, 05:44 PM

1,075 posts, read 558,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Please read up a bit on CDL - training, background/clearinghouse, pay. The good ones are on the road making over 90k.
Well, that's long haul (pay per mile) compared to 40-hr week local driver. Most local CDL drivers aren't making anywhere close to that. I have family who've worked in the industry, and they maxed out around $46k/yr. after 40+ years of service. Long haul is where the money is at, but that's for a very special type of person and comes with its own quirks.

Old 04-06-2023, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I worked for them for over 5 years, and that had always been the case in the state I lived.

It can be a very sucky job, and I wouldn't want to do it for 90K. Most of our drivers made over 80K, 20 years ago.
Where? I've looked all over their career board and haven't found a single posting for a CDL driver over $30/hr., and especially not for entry level. The $90k scale is nearing the absolute top of their pay ranges in just about any market.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:38 PM

3,769 posts, read 4,109,568 times
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Here they have banners advertising for school bus drivers starting at $34.22/hour in Issaquah, WA, and for $33.79 in Redmond/Kirkland/Sammamish WA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
Considering col they are underpaid.
Not only are they underpaid, but how many hours a day and how many days per week do they work? It is a very part-time job, at best, in a very high cost of living area. Not to mention, the behavior of the passengers, most of whom should be in juvenile detention.

As for the trash truck drivers, there seem to be a shortage in many cities, particularly here on the East Coast.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:53 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moguldreamer View Post
Recently the CEO of Waste Management opined,

"We can't find truck driver to drive a trash truck for $90k in Houston, but I can hire an MBA from small school for $60k, & I can get them all day long."
Meh.... Not according to Indeed.com. They say:
Drivers get $17.82 an hour. No openings in my area. There is no reason to pay 90K.

Old 04-06-2023, 07:57 PM

25,592 posts, read 17,318,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
Where? I've looked all over their career board and haven't found a single posting for a CDL driver over $30/hr., and especially not for entry level. The $90k scale is nearing the absolute top of their pay ranges in just about any market.
Ashley Furniture drivers can make that much. I drove for a competitor 2005-10 and averaged 60K. Home every weekend.

Old 04-06-2023, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Ashley Furniture drivers can make that much. I drove for a competitor 2005-10 and averaged 60K. Home every weekend.
Not according to Glassdoor. I realize a lot of hourly folks tend to overrepresent their pay by including every bit of OT pay they earn, but these figures seem inflated. I have numerous family members in trucking. The elder ones were short haul, paid hourly, worked around 40 hours per week, and stayed strictly regional. Not a single one of them broke $50k/yr unless there was lots of OT involved. I have a cousin who does long haul, but he's gone for weeks at a time, hardly sees family. It's believable to me that he probably makes into the six figures at his job, but a lot of that is based on mileage and time on the road.

Last edited by digitalUID; 04-06-2023 at 08:21 PM..

Old 04-06-2023, 09:01 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,870,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
There are lots more soy boys with college degrees, then hardy men willing to pick up trash and keep streets clean. Soy boys repress their own wages with the sheer amount of them.
What do you do for a living?

Old 04-06-2023, 09:30 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,970,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
It doesn't make a person more "manly" to have to have to maneuver cans of stinky trash and bulk items early in the morning in all kinds of weather. It's a crappy, hard job, and it's not surprising that people aren't clamoring to do it, no matter what the salary.

I live in the city, where there are narrow streets lined with cars on both sides, so there are no automated lever trucks. It's lifting cans or nothing.
Its a dirty job, its outside in the elements. The cans can be very heavy. Not everything is in cans. Furniture for example is not. I dont know how it is done is your area. But in NYC, we do not have the giant buckets, and the trucks that have the arms that lift the buckets over the truck to dump it on top.

Plus there is a lot of traffic, and angry drivers. Often the garbage trucks will block traffic. Its not a glamorous job. On top of that, garbage men are the butt of many jokes. You need thick skin to be able to do the job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I wasn't going to response to that comment in particular, but I agree, it's an utterly despicable and laughable comparison.
The whole premise of thread is comparing trash men to accountants.

To become an accountant is having the privilege to pass/partake in the artificial benchmarks that society has set forth. The benchmarks (depending on locale) are just education/testing, mentorship/sponsorship. The privilege is afforded by financial status. Its a more glamorous job, and physically less taxing. More people rather perform this job then a dirty job that gets ridiculed all the time.

But since it "white collar", the demand for labor supply is always going to be thin. Coupled with the above, there is an oversupply of people who can be accountants, or work as office clerks that assist the certified person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment