Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2023, 03:07 AM

23,864 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammythesquirrel View Post
Since I was a kid I always had a hard time getting out of bed. Even nowadays I have to do work in bed. Back in High school, getting to school on time has been a problem. Even finding the motivation to get to school was hard. I was always late getting to school on time. Also too, I was late to every single class in high school every single day of high school. This made a lot of my teachers angry and we would occasionally get into arguments and fights. I never understood why, it is not like it bothers anyone. In college, I was late to class too, but professors never really cared about that.

I started multiple jobs and I always had a hard time getting to work at 8 every day. When I was late to work consistently I would get scolded in public and It would be embarrassing. I got fired from one job for being late, and I cursed my manager out because of his firing me. I never understood why being late is frowned upon. It doesn't bother anyone else. and whatnot. So what if you show up a few minutes late in the office, you can always just stay later to make up the amount of time. Even in grade school, being late never showed anything of concern to the students just the teachers because It is a political rule. At least I came to class/work, right?

How do you guys even get to work so early in the morning at 6:30 a.m./8 a.m.? If it's hard for me it must be hard for a lot of people am I right? Why is it so frowned upon to even get to work late? like at the end of the day, who cares!?!

It's hard for you to wake up, turn on your work computer, log in and go back to sleep for a few hours?

The solution to your issue of not being the type of person to start work at 7am is to stop finding jobs that require first shift. Switch to looking for a job during the second part of the day or at night. If you're on the east coast, find a work from home job out of California time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2023, 05:39 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,579,249 times
Quote:
Since I was a kid I always had a hard time getting out of bed. Even nowadays I have to do work in bed. Back in High school, getting to school on time has been a problem. Even finding the motivation to get to school was hard. I was always late getting to school on time. Also too, I was late to every single class in high school every single day of high school. This made a lot of my teachers angry and we would occasionally get into arguments and fights. I never understood why, it is not like it bothers anyone. In college, I was late to class too, but professors never really cared about that.

I started multiple jobs and I always had a hard time getting to work at 8 every day. When I was late to work consistently I would get scolded in public and It would be embarrassing. I got fired from one job for being late, and I cursed my manager out because of his firing me. I never understood why being late is frowned upon. It doesn't bother anyone else. and whatnot. So what if you show up a few minutes late in the office, you can always just stay later to make up the amount of time. Even in grade school, being late never showed anything of concern to the students just the teachers because It is a political rule. At least I came to class/work, right?

How do you guys even get to work so early in the morning at 6:30 a.m./8 a.m.? If it's hard for me it must be hard for a lot of people am I right? Why is it so frowned upon to even get to work late? like at the end of the day, who cares!?!
It's "slippery slope anxiety" among management - they probably fear that if "they allow this, then what's next - people thinking they can take Fridays off without asking?" or the like.

Not to say it is reasonable, but I think that's where it comes from most of the time, at least as far as office or not-time-sensitive work is concerned.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
One thing I've learned is when the alarm goes off, pop up and get out of bed. Don't drag and feed into it. Get moving. Snoozing never makes you less tired. Snooze sleep is worthless so people who set the alarm 20 minutes early so they can hit the snooze a few times are just making things worse.
I had a roommate in college that swore that serial snoozing actually helped him, FWIW.

Old 04-05-2023, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
It's hard for you to wake up, turn on your work computer, log in and go back to sleep for a few hours?

The solution to your issue of not being the type of person to start work at 7am is to stop finding jobs that require first shift. Switch to looking for a job during the second part of the day or at night. If you're on the east coast, find a work from home job out of California time.
A lot of offices don't have decent space to sleep, or wouldn't allow it. I imagine if a manager wants you to arrive on time in the morning, they probably don't want you to take a siesta (unless you are in Mexico?)

Of course there are some other options - getting a more flexible job, or shifting your sleep cycle using timed lights in the morning, coffee, and last but not least, going to bed earlier.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:37 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,648,815 times
Years ago I heard an interesting explanation of tardiness, and you might consider taking it to heart.

The problem is not that people arrive too late, it's that they leave too late. If you would just leave earlier you would have no trouble arriving on time. Most people do that without difficulty.

Old 04-05-2023, 06:38 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,210,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I had a roommate in college that swore that serial snoozing actually helped him, FWIW.
People convince themselves of all sorts of things.

There are sites out there that say snoozing isn't that bad and may even be helpful. Those tend to be life coaching sites trying to tell people what they want to hear.

The sites that say it is bad are the medical sites.

But according to Reena Mehra, MD, MS, Director of Sleep Disorders Research, all of that snoozing isn’t helping our bodies get the restorative sleep that we need.

“Much of the latter part of our sleep cycle is comprised of REM sleep, or dream sleep, which is a restorative sleep state,†Dr. Mehra explains. “And so, if you’re hitting the snooze button, then you’re disrupting that REM sleep.â€

https://health.clevelandclinic.org/i...r-your-health/

Old 04-05-2023, 06:41 AM

29,739 posts, read 34,372,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
I'm not a serial snoozer, but I can't just hop out of bed. I need the time in between snoozes to mentally prepare myself to get up.

The OP hasn't come back, but based on this and his previous thread here, I get the sense that he's young and he doesn't quite get how having a job works.

Old 04-05-2023, 08:27 AM

11,105 posts, read 9,750,713 times
Continual tardiness shows a lack of respect for the time of others, the rules, and the people whom you are inconveniencing. You will continue to be reprimanded, fired, and cussed out by friends and family until you learn to manage your time. Chronic lateness is an insult to the person who tried, and succeeded, to get there on time. You sound very childish and immature. Unless you have some sort of mental disorder, you just need to understand that this is how the world works. Time waits for no one.

Someday you'll be the cruise passenger standing on the dock watching your ship leave without you because you couldn't get back in time. Get up earlier, just suck it up and do it.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:09 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,282,338 times
Quote:
I think if you were getting straight A's in H.S., it would be a different story. Teachers (most of them, at least) want to see you succeed. You being constantly late can be seen as disrespectful. Your teacher is there to teach, the least you can do is show up to learn.

This is a bit different in college. Professors are primarily doing research. Teaching is just part of their job. They don't really care because: 1. you're an adult, and 2. they have your tuition money already.

Quote:

I don't know what kind of jobs you were working there. But if it's an hourly job - then you need to be there during the hours you are expected to work.

Even if it's a salaried job - there are some expectations. I feel like I'm as lax about that as anyone. I don't really care what hours my staff works as long as their jobs are being done. That being said - we still have meetings, working sessions, etc. where there is an expectation that people will participate at the appointed time. I also expect them to respond to emails/requests during the work day.

But, at the end of the day - you're an adult. You get to do whatever you want. You want to show up late all the time, that's your prerogative. However, as an adult, you also have to be accountable for the aftermath - people being annoyed, losing your job, not being trusted, etc.

Old 04-05-2023, 09:14 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,783,142 times
Quote:

It's "frowned upon" because of the agreement that "I pay you to work 8 hours, not 7:55 minutes"

I wonder how you'd feel if your paycheck was 24-72 hours late, "Hey, you got paid, so why are you complaining"... AM I RIGHT???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment