Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2023, 06:33 PM

303 posts, read 237,078 times

Advertisements

Orphaned threads, many times, strike me as lonely people who want/need attention. Very sad and, when you're trying to get information, very frustrating.

The purpose of forums is to create a repository of information. If people don't "close" the thread, it's almost like there's nothing to be learned.

One variable is going to be the reaction when he gives notice, which should be Monday. I'm familiar with their "bench" and it's extremely shallow. I would ASSume that the big boss would make some effort to keep him around, but am prepared to be wrong.

Will update.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2023, 06:39 PM

@variable. Tremendous stress relief for sure, but definitely bittersweet for my brother. This company is the 800lb gorilla of this industry and he made it very clear during onboarding that his goal was to stay with this company, be an asset, move up etc.

The rating on the evaluation was such that my brother was prohibited from moving on to a different unit within the company. So, for at least another year, he was locked into this particular location.

I've worked for the .gov for much of my life, and we're always told how good the private sector is. In this case, and many others, the private sector (or maybe Corporate Sector) really isn't much better at talent management.

Thinking out loud here, but my observation is that this company really emphasizes "years of service" as a sign of worth.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:42 AM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superhornet View Post
@variable. Tremendous stress relief for sure, but definitely bittersweet for my brother. This company is the 800lb gorilla of this industry and he made it very clear during onboarding that his goal was to stay with this company, be an asset, move up etc.
Tell your brother not to burn bridges when giving notice and leaving. Goal here is for HR or the manager to say that your brother can be rehired by the same company in the future. It's usually a checkbox type of thing that is entered into the system when HR is doing final offboarding, often on the last day of work. So then maybe in a couple years, if your brother is looking at opportunities, perhaps another department in this company will have an opening that fits. Or, if HR for another firm checks references, they might ask if he is rehirable.

Last couple of jobs I left, if I spoke with HR toward the very end(exit interview type of thing), I would ask if they set me up in the system as "rehirable". I told that perhaps in the future I might work there again and asked outright whether I was rehirable. They always said yes. One place I went back on a short term contract gig a few years later.

Old 03-26-2023, 03:26 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,304,086 times
It would be wise if your brother doesn't give his resignation notice until the new employer successfully completes the background check.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:57 AM

615 posts, read 340,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazeddude8 View Post
I know ideally a PIP is supposed to help an employee to give them an opportunity to improve so that they remain at the company...but in my experience PIPs are more or less the warning shot before the firing i.e... no matter what you do once you get the PIP you are going to get the boot. So if not already I would hope your brother is looking for another job.

Well outlined. Most union protected jobs require the employee be put on a PIP before any "de-employment" actions can be taken.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:38 AM

307 posts, read 164,059 times
Quote:
No mass layoffs.

The boss is being put on a PIP as are one of my brother's peers. Out of 8 senior managers, 3 are being put on PIPs.

It's been a very rough year for this business unit overall.

I appreciate the replies so far and welcome more.
Your brother should look for another. Sounds like there are no layoffs yet but are probably in the works or being seriously considered.

Old 04-02-2023, 04:46 PM

This not an organizational RIF or trimming.

Brother gave notice and starts a new job in two weeks. In the month-ish since the evaluation/performance plan there's been no further conversation or discussion about anything other than day-to-day operations.

Old 04-04-2023, 06:04 PM

112 posts, read 119,971 times
I've managed multiple teams in multiple states, some with worker protections like CA and some with no worker protections like TN.

Unless the PIP is specifically issued around a protected trait, such as not being able to stand at a stand-up role (like in pharmacy) when you have a medical condition that doesn't allow it and you have a medical note from your doctor, it is likely the PIP is totally enforceable and fully up to the discretion of your brother's boss.

Your brother's boss sounds horrible because I never put anyone on a PIP that didn't know it was coming ahead of time. However, that still wouldn't have made it illegal for me to put someone on a PIP out of the blue.

And 99% of the time, the employee on the PIP corrected him/herself (and I would always provide additional training, something your brother should ask for), and got removed from the PIP with continued employment. Your brother should also document any times he asks for clarification or training so he can document his own improvement when it comes time to discuss the PIP again with his boss.

The other 1% of the time - the employee didn't meet expectations and was let go after 3 months of training/monitoring.

I would also wonder, were I you, if your brother has shared everything with you. If I were doing poorly at work, I wouldn't want to tell my sibling everything. But that's just me, and my brother and I aren't that close.

TLDR: My advice on how to respond is for your brother to take the PIP with grace, improve in the areas his boss has requested, and document his improvement over time so he can justify keeping his job going forward, if that's what he desires.

Hope this helps!

Quote:
My brother works for a large corporation.

He got his 2022 evaluation last week. His boss rated him as "Not Fully Successful" and said "I'm going to put you on a PIP."

He further said "Based on your performance for the first part of 2023, we'd be giving you a large bonus."

My brother has not seen or been given the PIP yet.

My brother has, in his possession, 5 emails from his boss that came throughout 2022 that lauded him for his "good job" and "great work." There are no emails saying anything supportive of a PIP or indicating that he wasn't meeting standards.

I'd welcome the thoughts of anyone familiar with HR or Employment Law or The Corporate Beast in general on how to proceed/respond.

I can give more details but have tried to keep this concise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment