Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2023, 10:29 AM

1,076 posts, read 560,246 times

Advertisements

Long story short: I took a more junior level role to pivot back into my desired career path at a very large and reputable company. The idea was that there should be ample opportunity to advance here. Obviously because of the junior nature of the role, I'm absolutely killing it. I receive a lot of positive praise from stakeholders, my manager, and department leadership. People really enjoy working with me, and I really enjoy the work, the people, and some of the other perks like WFH.

A few weeks ago, I started to plant the seeds with my manager that I'm aiming to move up. In our organizational career framework, there is another role above my pay grade that better aligns with my skills, experience, education, and work output. I informed her that it is my goal to move up within the department into this role and pay grade. In our ongoing discussions, she seems receptive and amenable to this move, but it's also not entirely up to her. She doesn't control the budget, and sadly our work is completely ancillary to the true mission of our organization.

I explained to her that I really enjoy the job, I enjoy the people I work with, and I would prefer to stay on this team. I don't necessarily want to leave a role when all of these things are lining up in my favor. But in my mind, I want to be paid at the appropriate level that is commensurate with my output and background. I'm also concerned with the opportunity cost to my career earnings potential by sticking around too long in a role that is beneath my level of experience and performance.

In a situation like this, if you were in my situation, how long do you give it before seeking other opportunities? 6 months? 1 year? 2 years? Longer?

Old 02-15-2023, 10:44 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
If the position is in your org chart, why isn't it already budgeted?

How long have you been in this new role?

Old 02-15-2023, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
If the position is in your org chart, why isn't it already budgeted?

How long have you been in this new role?
I don't know if I understand your question, but here is my best attempt at answering it.

Nobody is currently in that specific role within my organization. I would be getting promoted into it. As far as budget is concerned, it'd be the difference between my current salary and the new salary. I'd be seeking a ~15% bump, though I know most companies have restrictions about salary bumps for internal moves. Benefit package would mostly remain the same other than some additional PTO perks. Nothing else would change other than title.

I'm coming up on 10 months. For reference, others in our org have historically been promoted faster.

Last edited by digitalUID; 02-15-2023 at 11:14 AM..

Old 02-15-2023, 11:35 AM

6,465 posts, read 7,807,175 times
Minimum of 1 yr. 2 - 3 is better. Best of luck.

Old 02-15-2023, 12:12 PM

6,593 posts, read 11,304,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I don't know if I understand your question, but here is my best attempt at answering it.

Nobody is currently in that specific role within my organization. I would be getting promoted into it. As far as budget is concerned, it'd be the difference between my current salary and the new salary. I'd be seeking a ~15% bump, though I know most companies have restrictions about salary bumps for internal moves. Benefit package would mostly remain the same other than some additional PTO perks. Nothing else would change other than title.

I'm coming up on 10 months. For reference, others in our org have historically been promoted faster.
No one is in that position because it was vacated recently? is there a need for someone in that role? Are you currently filling responsibilities of that role?

IMO - if you are taking a 'step back' to re-acclimate yourself - it's less about time and more whether you've gotten your feet back underneath you (outside of you setting a goal for yourself). Since everyone moves at different paces, it's hard to say whether it's 6 months or 24 months... you are ready when you are ready.

If you believe you are qualified, ask for it. Or make a case for it. You'll have to determine if your manager is holding you back or trying to help you out by not allowing you to fail. If you don't agree, you can aways look for outside opportunities - but those other opportunities may not come with the benefits your current employer offers. But at least you'll know what your options are.

Again, just my .02.

Old 02-15-2023, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
No one is in that position because it was vacated recently? is there a need for someone in that role? Are you currently filling responsibilities of that role?

IMO - if you are taking a 'step back' to re-acclimate yourself - it's less about time and more whether you've gotten your feet back underneath you (outside of you setting a goal for yourself). Since everyone moves at different paces, it's hard to say whether it's 6 months or 24 months... you are ready when you are ready.

If you believe you are qualified, ask for it. Or make a case for it. You'll have to determine if your manager is holding you back or trying to help you out by not allowing you to fail. If you don't agree, you can aways look for outside opportunities - but those other opportunities may not come with the benefits your current employer offers. But at least you'll know what your options are.

Again, just my .02.
Great post! Thank you.

No one is in the position because I don't know that they had much need in the past. But as they are building out their data systems, they are starting to heavily lean on me to help them leverage their data for business decisions. Is there a need? Sure, I'm already performing at a senior level, because I am a senior level employee leveraging over a decade's worth of experience. There is little chance that a junior level employee would be able to do what I'm doing for them now. The position above isn't a different position from what I'm doing, it is a senior position requiring a certain level of experience, skill, education, and ownership in their work.

The nice thing about our career framework is that each role/pay grade has generalized job description that indicates the qualifications and requirements of the role. Not only am I performing at the role/pay grade above mine, I also hit all of the qualification factors, too: education, experience, job duties. I meet all the criteria, but my job title and pay grade reflect the junior level role.

I would definitely argue that I am ready now and qualified. This is why I've been planting the seed with my manager. And like I said, she has been very receptive of the idea. I don't know how much pull she has in the matter, which is my primary concern. I've definitely been in that position before where they love me and wish they could do more, but it's out of their hands.

Last edited by digitalUID; 02-15-2023 at 01:51 PM..

Old 02-16-2023, 09:03 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalUID View Post
I took a more junior level role to pivot back into my desired career path at a very large and reputable company.
The idea was that there should be ample opportunity to advance here. ...
if you were in my situation, how long do you give it before seeking other opportunities?
You can 'seek' the very next day. But a year would be a responsible benchmark before leaving.
Quote:
... she seems receptive and amenable to this move, but ...
Has she been asked to introduce you to the people there
who ARE the decision makers for this other position you would like to have?

Old 02-16-2023, 09:14 AM

12,110 posts, read 23,311,870 times
I've known a couple of people who have carved out a spot for themselves. They write a proposal justifying the need, and why they are the one who should be moved into that position. Do the same and submit it to your boss.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You can 'seek' the very next day. But a year would be a responsible benchmark before leaving.
Has she been asked to introduce you to the people there
who ARE the decision makers for this other position you would like to have?
The position would remain on my manager's team, as it'd consist of a promotion to the next level and pay grade of my existing role.

Old 02-16-2023, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I've known a couple of people who have carved out a spot for themselves. They write a proposal justifying the need, and why they are the one who should be moved into that position. Do the same and submit it to your boss.
That's a good idea. I can leverage the role description of the next pay grade and point to the ways that I'm already meeting the requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment