Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2023, 08:09 AM

846 posts, read 685,804 times

Advertisements

This is easier for people with professional careers; their resume speaks for itself and companies may even actively try to persuade them to move, maybe even giving them a first-year bonus to cover moving costs.

But what about for people without professional careers? What about for basic jobs? Is it feasible to apply for jobs on Indeed and such while out of state. Would employers take that seriously?

If not, do you just take a basic job (i.e. dishwashing, waiter, etc) for a month to pay rent while you look around? Is remote work the best option then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2023, 09:05 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,752,495 times
What sort of jobs will you be looking for?

Old 02-10-2023, 09:12 AM

34,109 posts, read 83,054,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
But what about for people without professional careers? What about for basic jobs?
What else do they ALSO have in their lives?
Childless at any age is much simpler. Spouseless will also make the process easier.
Quote:
...do you just take a basic job (i.e. dishwashing, waiter, etc) for a month...
Yes. Never pay current living expenses out of savings.
Even if the best you can get is washing dishes (at night!) to be available to job hunt in the day.
But get out of the motel as quickly as you can.

The objective is to acquire the local address, phone # and references ...
that the local pool of employers will expect to see on the resume ASAP.
For most that means a house share or similar and asap a better "get by job"

Actually getting the good job can still take the same 3-6 months (or more) it would anywhere else.
It's still all about the skill set.

Old 02-10-2023, 09:20 AM

1,075 posts, read 560,246 times
I think it's easier than ever to relocate without something lined up. When I did it over a decade ago, I had to hustle and grind to find something quick, or else run up debt and/or live out of my car. There weren't a lot of easily accessible options back other than slim pickings on craigslist.

In present day, there are a variety of gig economy jobs that you can pick up while you look for something more permanent. I meet all sorts of people who've relocated and drive for Lyft, Uber, Grubhub, or a number of other gig economy jobs while they look for a FT, perm job. You'll likely have to start small and have roommates for the first year or two. But that's a small price to pay if it gets you to where you want to be.

Old 02-10-2023, 10:07 AM

23,571 posts, read 24,096,042 times
A close friend of mine who works in a non-professional career relocated his family out of California years ago. He saved about 10 months of living expenses and planned his move.
He rented an apartment in the new city (Salt Lake City), packed, then moved and started looking for a new job once he was there. It took him about 6-7 weeks, but he managed well and is happy in Salt Lake City.

Old 02-10-2023, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What sort of jobs will you be looking for?
Any 9-to-5 that can offer a consistent paycheck while I freelance on nights and weekends. But I'm considering admin ass or some kind of clerical work.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:15 PM

12,110 posts, read 23,308,373 times
I can only speak for my employer, but we will not interview out of state candidates for non- professional vacancies, if you will.

Old 02-10-2023, 02:20 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,622 posts, read 81,316,164 times
We will do a preliminary phone interview, but that would have to go incredibly well for the candidate to be invited to an in-person interview. We would only pay for their travel for executive positions. In the past I have done 3-4 of those phone interviews from out-o-state and 2 from out of country, none were asked to come in. There have always been plenty of locals, though in the last couple of years those numbers have decreased.

Old 02-12-2023, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Yes (take a basic job over no job). Never pay current living expenses out of savings.
Of course, but that's a fallback. The main goal is to find a job out of state and have that lined up before you move. Do you think the odds of doing so, as a non-professional, are very low?

Old 02-12-2023, 09:28 AM

41,936 posts, read 37,012,374 times
Of course its low.

The thing to do is get a job with a National employer and relocate within the system. There are some good corps that do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment