Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 01:39 PM

1,845 posts, read 1,500,778 times

Advertisements

I am 24M graduated college in NJ back in 2020 and I moved in with family here in the Bay Area. I am now working an entry level job at an immigration law firm every day commuting from the East Bay to San Francisco. The job is fun, secure, and entry level, but I do not want to keep this job forever obviously due to advancing, but because I do not like living in the Bay Area and my job is toxic anyway. My job is completely onsite due to the immigration services only accepting paper copies and I am also tired of commuting into a big city every day for a white collared job.

I may be getting transferred to a different team soon where we do all of our work electronically, but required to work in office 2 days a week and 3 from home due to the bureaucracy of my current boss making all these teams come in office. However, my workplace has a location in a small suburb outside of Pittsburgh, PA and it would be nice to live in that area and my workplace lets people transfer locations or get promoted so easily as long as you ask for it. I am fine with hybrid

I really dream of living in a semi-rural area in PA or VA (VA allows me to take the Bar exam with no law school if I decide to become a lawyer) by the beginning of 2024, but obviously remote work can make it realistic. I wanted to post this on the General US forum, but of course it will get taken down since it would not belong there.

The reason why I am sort of in a rush is because I live with grandparents and I don't want them to deteriorate too much while I am still living here, otherwise I will feel guilty for moving out of their house. Any chance of getting a job that is fully remote in 2023 so I can move?

The economy seems bleak and jobs seem saturated with applicants. I have been applying to roles beyond just a "paralegal" or "contracts" title. I know that everyone is in a similar boat, wants to work from home, be part of the California exodus and move somewhere cheaper and better, etc. I made my resume really good and used Rezi.ai to make it sound really good and had numerous professional reviews of it from Rezi and TopResume.

I also applied to jobs that are hybrid just in case companies allow me to work fully remote if I am not living near an office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 01:45 PM

35,120 posts, read 31,396,457 times
You need to get that job before you move. You don’t want to be in a remote area having to depend on its local options for employment.

Old 01-23-2023, 02:26 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
I am 24M graduated college in NJ back in 2020 and I moved in with family here in the Bay Area.
I really dream of living in a semi-rural area in PA or VA...
That is one very big jump.

If you want out of the grandparents house ... do that.
Start with moving across town or out to Martinez (etc)

Old 01-23-2023, 04:55 PM

12,111 posts, read 23,322,246 times
You are pretty light on details. I imagine what type of degree you have, what you want to do, and how much you need to make will all factor into your chance of employment.

Make sure you understand the Virginia Bar. While you don't have to go to law school, you have to 'read law' full time for just as long as going to law school (if you can find someone to sponsor/teach you), and the bar passage rate for 'readers' is abysmally low.

Old 01-23-2023, 07:57 PM

13,135 posts, read 21,050,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moshywilly View Post
(VA allows me to take the Bar exam with no law school if I decide to become a lawyer) by the beginning of 2024, but obviously remote work can make it realistic.
I don't believe that's correct.

I suggest you RE-READ the information as in my reading you can take VA bar exam with no ABA accredited law school degree, but you must have that law degree from someone.
OR
You can also qualify without a law degree if and only if you hold a license as an attorney from another qualified jurisdiction and have been practicing law for at least 5 years in that jurisdiction under that license. Not sure any jurisdiction in the USA allows that for 5 years.

Last edited by Rabrrita; 01-23-2023 at 08:13 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 08:19 PM

130,624 posts, read 12,166,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
You need to get that job before you move. You don’t want to be in a remote area having to depend on its local options for employment.
Exactly.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:37 PM

30,395 posts, read 52,006,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That is one very big jump.

If you want out of the grandparents house ... do that.
Start with moving across town or out to Martinez (etc)
I think OP mentioned those locations specifically because of this: However, my workplace has a location in a small suburb outside of Pittsburgh, PA and it would be nice to live in that area and my workplace lets people transfer locations or get promoted so easily as long as you ask for it.

They also went to college in NJ, so it's not like they've never lived back east before.

Old 01-23-2023, 10:30 PM

34,117 posts, read 83,097,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I think OP mentioned ...
Thank you for pointing out what I chose to ignore.
Someone might find that helpful.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:37 AM

12,111 posts, read 23,322,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
I don't believe that's correct.

I suggest you RE-READ the information as in my reading you can take VA bar exam with no ABA accredited law school degree, but you must have that law degree from someone.
OR
You can also qualify without a law degree if and only if you hold a license as an attorney from another qualified jurisdiction and have been practicing law for at least 5 years in that jurisdiction under that license. Not sure any jurisdiction in the USA allows that for 5 years.
You can 'read law' in Virginia.

https://barexam.virginia.gov/reader/readermemo.html

You can do the same in California. TV tabloids (and the Kardashians) made a big deal that one of them was doing so.

Old 01-24-2023, 07:44 AM

246 posts, read 121,037 times
Holy Moses man , RUN FOR YOUR LIFE NOW DUDE, Dang what if the old farts fell and hurt themselves.

But old folks can get bad overnight too, so nobody finds the real you out, you really need to go NOW. You never know when the old sum beaches will make a turn for the worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment