Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2022, 03:53 PM

18,550 posts, read 15,624,654 times

Advertisements

The moment I put in my two week notice, my current employer went to enormous lengths to try to convince me to stay, however, I have the “irresistable” opportunity in my hand. Multiple levels of management sat down with me and talked to me for an extended period about what it would take to keep me.

I am still going to go to the new job. Is it reasonable for me to decline an exit interview on the basis that due to the manager meetings, we have already exchanged feedback with each other and thus the exit interview would be superfluous?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2022, 04:02 PM

2,479 posts, read 2,218,799 times
Default 40 yrs work experience; 9 jobs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The moment I put in my two week notice, my current employer went to enormous lengths to try to convince me to stay, however, I have the “irresistable” opportunity in my hand. Multiple levels of management sat down with me and talked to me for an extended period about what it would take to keep me.

I am still going to go to the new job. Is it reasonable for me to decline an exit interview on the basis that due to the manager meetings, we have already exchanged feedback with each other and thus the exit interview would be superfluous?
Absolutely NEVER go through an exit interview or disclose anything about yr old or new job. At most you have shown your current employer you are untrustworthy.

Write ONE letter to your immediate supervisor and say it was an honor and privilege, blah, blah, blah. BUT ALWAYS get in your hands a letter of recommendation from the president of the company.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:22 PM

1,895 posts, read 2,540,675 times
Yes, do not go to an exit interview. Nothing good can come of it for you. I would not have even talked to any level of management about trying to get me to stay. I hope you didn't divulge any information about your new job. Once you decide to leave, just leave. You don't owe them anything. Two weeks notice, a nice resignation letter, and hopefully leave on good terms. That's totally reasonable. You need to look out for yourself because nobody else will. If they're reasonable, they will understand your situation and stop pestering you to stay.

Old 10-20-2022, 09:49 PM

9,891 posts, read 7,778,971 times
I did an exit interview. I just wanted to leave on good terms in case I ever want to go back. But I do agree with not giving details about your new job.

Old 10-21-2022, 05:37 AM

1,261 posts, read 835,816 times
I don't understand the first couple of comments at all. During your notice period, you still work for your old employer. If they want you to spend some of your remaining time on the clock in an exit interview, then that's what you do.

Should you say anything bad about old company: no.
Should you disclose details about new job: no.
Should you entertain additional counteroffers: in my opinion, no.
Go, be pleasant and give banal explanations and speak nicely of your soon-to-be former supervisor and colleagues.

Old 10-21-2022, 09:11 AM

24,696 posts, read 11,033,816 times
Your exit interview has nothing to do with the retention or counter offer attempts. OP works in a niche if I recall. Leave and follow protocol. Do not burn bridges as you never know what will be your next step.

Old 10-21-2022, 12:42 PM

11,155 posts, read 7,211,483 times
Only provide what you want to share (not what they want), only to your advance (not theirs).

Old 10-21-2022, 06:41 PM

7,964 posts, read 3,912,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post

The exit interview is not an interview; it is administrative. Typically, the company will use this to provide you with, for example, COBRA information, ask you to sign a document acknowledging any company confidential material in your possession has been returned, verify a snail mail address to send you your end-of-year W2 (sometimes, when changing a job, you move to a new physical address), notify you of options/alternatives regarding a 401K, etc etc.

They may ask you to sign a document pledging you won't reveal any company confidential information to your new employer.

Informally, the HR person is likely to ask you your new compensation - this is feedback is given to the company's comp & benefits people as input into wage structures, etc.

Usually you'll return a company-owned laptop computer, cellular telephone, etc etc.

Old 10-21-2022, 07:14 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,125,433 times
As aforementioned, an exit interview should be administrative.

Even the most bitter employees that have left my company have done their exit interview and in some cases, plainly spoken all of the grievances on their mind. Not that I advise that.

But it should really be an opportunity for the company and the employee to improve themselves at best and at minimum, just an administrative bookend.

At the very least, you're giving the HR person something to do...

But I mean ... some of these responses. I must say ... the jaded and guarded, and self-centered corporate attitude these days is just nuts. Crazy. If posters are exaggerating about what you have to lose by going through an exit interview, it's crazy. If they're right, it's even crazier.

I honestly am close to the point where I don't really care anymore. If I make the wrong decisions at work, and end up getting sued and lose all my money? I don't care.

Why do I want to be the winner of an ugly, brutal, cutthroat game?

Last edited by jobaba; 10-21-2022 at 07:24 PM..

Old 10-21-2022, 09:29 PM

23,621 posts, read 70,547,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
As aforementioned, an exit interview should be administrative.

Even the most bitter employees that have left my company have done their exit interview and in some cases, plainly spoken all of the grievances on their mind. Not that I advise that.

But it should really be an opportunity for the company and the employee to improve themselves at best and at minimum, just an administrative bookend.

At the very least, you're giving the HR person something to do...

But I mean ... some of these responses. I must say ... the jaded and guarded, and self-centered corporate attitude these days is just nuts. Crazy. If posters are exaggerating about what you have to lose by going through an exit interview, it's crazy. If they're right, it's even crazier.

I honestly am close to the point where I don't really care anymore. If I make the wrong decisions at work, and end up getting sued and lose all my money? I don't care.

Why do I want to be the winner of an ugly, brutal, cutthroat game?

I can smell the BS. Here is the simple answer "Why yes, I would love to attend an exit interview ... with my attorney." When the jaws drop, you then say "Or, you can provide me with the information on cobra and other items in a written form if you would prefer."

I've been in the hire/fire situation. I've had an employer do me dirty. When you, as an individual, are in a disagreement with a company with a hundred times or more your resources, you don't waltz in like a lamb to a slaughter to have an "interview."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment