Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2022, 12:17 AM

402 posts, read 281,156 times

Advertisements

I used to have a team leader who, when I send a file trough Skype they awaited would read that but never even jot down a simple "Thanks!", no reaction, not even a "thumb up". I just see they've read my message and probably have downloaded the file as their initials and avatar appear below my last message.

Then we had a replacement TL and they would read that and would always write "Thank you" and/or put a Skype reaction like a "thumb up" to my message. We had some rapport built and it was breezy.

Now they're leaving so I have a third, temp team lead, who's doing just the same like the 1st one.

They migth be busy but my TL #2 was equally busy but always responded in a timely fashion. It's obvious I rub the TLs the wrong way. Why is that? What am I doing wrong? This lack of reaction really makes me discouraged at my work. Should I reciprocate and never give them a reaction again and just one-word answers? I'm always cheerful when writing, always ask them how are they doing and wish them "Have a great day", and yet it worked with TL number 2 but never with number 1 or 3.

Last edited by tomektomek; 06-15-2022 at 01:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2022, 05:19 AM

380 posts, read 331,118 times
It appears 1 and 3 have different work styles than you and 2. You and 2 are more socially oriented while 1 and 3 are more task oriented. I’m sure they don’t mean anything, and are more focused on the work rather than the social niceties. I wouldn’t worry about it.

Old 06-15-2022, 06:15 AM

12,136 posts, read 23,476,153 times
We have no idea if you are rubbing them the wrong way or, if so, why. I send my boss stuff all of the time and don't get a reply. I don't take it personally. As noted above, it just sounds like differing work styles/expectations. Do you ever have meetings?

Old 06-15-2022, 07:25 AM

16,225 posts, read 21,413,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomektomek View Post
I just see they've read my message and probably have downloaded the file as their initials and avatar appear below my last message.
You have your acknowledgement, your expectation for anything more is just a social nicety. To flip this, why do you feel the need for that extra recognition?

Old 06-15-2022, 07:27 AM

29,814 posts, read 34,710,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
You have your acknowledgement, your expectation for anything more is just a social nicety. To flip this, why do you feel the need for that extra recognition?
Exactly, it would be nice if they responded with a "got it, thanks," or whatever, but if the matter isn't urgent, and you can actually see through the system that they've seen and downloaded the file, it's unnecessary.

Old 06-15-2022, 08:46 AM

402 posts, read 281,156 times
Idk I just feel it's really impersonal and I react by doing the same and ignoring said TL or worse - it often causes me to lose ambition for work. I mean our job is boring clerical stuff anyway so these niceties really help.

Old 06-15-2022, 09:24 AM

13,003 posts, read 9,288,167 times
Simple. 1 and 3 don't know how to lead. They're just managers.

There are two sets of skill. One set is leadership skills. The other set is management skills. You really need both to accomplish things. Leadership without management inspires people to stand around cheering but going nowhere. Management knows what to do but can't inspire anyone to do it. You need both.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:16 PM

380 posts, read 331,118 times
Quote:
Idk I just feel it's really impersonal and I react by doing the same and ignoring said TL or worse - it often causes me to lose ambition for work. I mean our job is boring clerical stuff anyway so these niceties really help.
You had better get a handle of managing your expectations or you will have a very unsatisfying career. You are there to work, and although it's nice to exchange pleasantries, it's is not required. If you need a verbal pat on the head everytime you do something, you had better find a different line of work. It's not personal; it's differing work styles.

Old 06-15-2022, 01:24 PM

29,814 posts, read 34,710,023 times
Quote:
You can't tell your managers how to do their jobs, but if you want to be a person that gives feedback for someone who's completed a task for you, you can do that for yourself. (But just don't use "reply all" in an email to do it. )

Old 06-15-2022, 04:42 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,748,724 times
Personally I hate emails that say thanks. I can see that you opened the document. If you have any questions let me know. Other than that don't clog my inbox. There's already far too much in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment