Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2022, 12:45 AM

3,022 posts, read 2,272,347 times

Advertisements

Working jobs where either you drive people around or deliver food is just not worth it anymore. I work Uber Eats delivery as a side job and even if I only deliver near where I live it is to expensive. I am sure there are other people who also have given up on doing this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2022, 05:47 AM

2,114 posts, read 1,320,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm Eagle View Post
Working jobs where either you drive people around or deliver food is just not worth it anymore. I work Uber Eats delivery as a side job and even if I only deliver near where I live it is to expensive. I am sure there are other people who also have given up on doing this.
You are right. The gas price is so high now, and it keeps increasing every few few days.

Old 06-10-2022, 06:25 AM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
Yes, and besides the gas and the low pay, there's wear and tear on your car, the need to pay self-employment taxes, and, in the case of ride-sharing, the ever-present risk of having strangers in your car.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:01 AM

9,377 posts, read 8,345,252 times
There were articles out years ago where firms would deep dive into the real cost of being an Uber driver and even back then, with gas prices 30-50% lower, it wasn't worth it. The only way I think it could work is if you somehow fell bass ackwards into a free Prius and drove that thing into the ground delivering people and/or food. Still probably wouldn't make much of a salary.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:23 AM

12,103 posts, read 23,262,756 times
Then I guess some people will have to pick up their own food.

Old 06-10-2022, 07:36 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
That service isn't going away.

If they have trouble retaining employees, then Uber/Lyft/Doordash will pass the increased costs on to the customer.

That's what my company does, and they take such opportunities to bang the client with an even bigger hidden markup. Corporate fun...

Old 06-10-2022, 09:12 AM

984 posts, read 441,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post

If they have trouble retaining employees, then Uber/Lyft/Doordash will pass the increased costs on to the customer.

That's what my company does, and they take such opportunities to bang the client with an even bigger hidden markup. Corporate fun...
Agreed. There will always be desperate people who will do a job that makes little sense financially if they get a quick payout. They don't have the luxury of thinking about the eventual wear and tear on their cars or what will happen come tax time when they can be pulling in a couple/few hundred a week while being able to work when they want to.

Old 06-10-2022, 09:32 AM

16,066 posts, read 21,123,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonMB View Post
Agreed. There will always be desperate people who will do a job that makes little sense financially if they get a quick payout. They don't have the luxury of thinking about the eventual wear and tear on their cars or what will happen come tax time when they can be pulling in a couple/few hundred a week while being able to work when they want to.
I believe there will always be people who do that work because now that people have discovered the service there will always be those willing to pay the price for it. What I disagree with is that it's going to fall to 'desperate' people to do that work.
I have dealt with doordash drivers for several years now. At one point they probably made up 1/3 to 1/2 of the customers coming through our doors. Many of them werethose desperate people who relied on it as their only source of income. However when gas started going up so much a lot of those people stopped doing doordash, they simply can't afford to put that kind of gas into their cars any more. What I'm seeing now is the doordashers that are left are people who only use it to supplement another, larger source of income, retirees, people doordashing as a second job, etc.

Old 06-10-2022, 11:49 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
True.

But the people will go away. That's not a bug, that's as intended - dehumanize people out of their jobs.

We will see doordash/uber/etc. replaced by drones or self-driving cars.

Old 06-10-2022, 12:57 PM

30,141 posts, read 11,765,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
There were articles out years ago where firms would deep dive into the real cost of being an Uber driver and even back then, with gas prices 30-50% lower, it wasn't worth it. The only way I think it could work is if you somehow fell bass ackwards into a free Prius and drove that thing into the ground delivering people and/or food. Still probably wouldn't make much of a salary.

I live in a small town of about 8,000 people. They just started doing uber eats etc. And people claim they make good money. But $15 an hour is a good job here with the very low cost of living. And the town is about 3 miles by 3 miles so all the deliveries are pretty close by.

But I think if you want to do a delivery job work for Amazon. At least its their vehicles and its not a gig job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment