Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2022, 07:23 AM

13,723 posts, read 12,497,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
I imagine that there is a reason for the high turnover rate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronas View Post
According to that career website it's because a lot of the employees are young and only join this field as a part time or summer job while they are students. Plus from what I've noticed there are seem to be plenty of people in this field who are content with just a reception job or bar job and who don't want to progress to the higher managerial roles. Do you guys and girls have any insights about these two factlets?
My close highschool friend went into the hospitality field. He told me the same thing way back then and again echoed the sentiment later on.

He said that this is true, but you're missing some context. One can quickly progress if we're talking about a less prestigious place with fewer services in a more regional location. One will not be managing the Westin Times Square or The W in New York or The Savoy or The Stafford in London.

But, you may be able to do so at the Fairfield Inn or Holiday Inn Express on Long Island, or somewhere in Milton Keynes.

Such a property has far less moving parts involved.

There's a far lower staff-room ratio, no concierge, no room service, valet parking, butlers, shoe shining, dry cleaning, turndown service, childcare, medical team, etc. The property might not have a bar, and if it has a restaurant, it's likely attached to said bar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2022, 09:55 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,244,039 times
Quote:
plenty of people in this field who are content with just a reception job or bar job and who don't want to progress to the higher managerial roles.
Yeah, they work their management to death. Six tons of unpaid overtime.

Work reception or bar? No problem. You get part time and minimum wage per hour. They try to make sure you don't qualify for benefits so they keep you part time.

Work management? You're working 80-100 hours a week at a salary, that if you divide the salary by number of hours worked, your hourly rate is far lower. Zero paid overtime.

Oh, and much of "management" tasks are just doing the same thing you were doing before. Lots of "assistant managers" tending bar or doing reception.

Old 05-17-2022, 03:29 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,134,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
The big store manager gets fired if the numbers are not correct. That's why they have huge turnover.

You didn't make this years revenue goals? YOU'RE FIRED.

What? Your state had a lockdown and everyone stayed home and didn't make your cash registers go cha-ching? YOU'RE FIRED.

Oh, and they work 100 hour weeks too.
Not true...

Old 05-18-2022, 12:42 PM

365 posts, read 218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A friend's son has moved up through the ranks of hotel management with a large hotel chain at a fairly fast pace.

Over the past few years, he's gone from working as a night clerk to a position as a regional manager, being hotel manager for a year along the way.

The pay is not great by any means, and so I suspect high turnover has helped. But he's a sharp individual who works hard and found an avenue for advancement that values that.

He would likely have done the same in a retail setting. However, I suspect the opportunities for advancement may not be as plentiful once you get to the assistant manager level.

Other than hotel and retail, it is difficult to think of what fields offer fast advancement for someone without specialized skills/training/education.
And how many years does 'fairly fast pace' mean exactly?

Old 05-18-2022, 12:49 PM

365 posts, read 218,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
My close highschool friend went into the hospitality field. He told me the same thing way back then and again echoed the sentiment later on.

He said that this is true, but you're missing some context. One can quickly progress if we're talking about a less prestigious place with fewer services in a more regional location. One will not be managing the Westin Times Square or The W in New York or The Savoy or The Stafford in London.

But, you may be able to do so at the Fairfield Inn or Holiday Inn Express on Long Island, or somewhere in Milton Keynes.

Such a property has far less moving parts involved.

There's a far lower staff-room ratio, no concierge, no room service, valet parking, butlers, shoe shining, dry cleaning, turndown service, childcare, medical team, etc. The property might not have a bar, and if it has a restaurant, it's likely attached to said bar.
I have a strong preference for small countryside hotels/inns anyway. I wonder what progression is like when it comes to those....maybe you can ask your friend for me when you have a bit of time available??

Old 05-19-2022, 07:09 AM

2,457 posts, read 1,705,601 times
Quote:
I have a strong preference for small countryside hotels/inns anyway. I wonder what progression is like when it comes to those....maybe you can ask your friend for me when you have a bit of time available??
The smaller the place the more work you will be doing. When one of the few other workers decidies to take the day off it now will be your job plus anything you normally do. A lot of smaller places hire people with zero experiance to run the place. You will get what seems like a nice salary but when you figure the hours you put in you will be making a very low wage per hour. They do usually offer a room to live in. That way you can be there to help people at ALL times of the day and night 365 days a year.

My Mom run a few smaller places over the years and that is how they worked. You will be doing EVERYTHING including maintanance with maybe a part time housekeeper to help clean rooms.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment