Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2022, 09:30 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,132,699 times

Advertisements

If you live in Jersey, and job A is in Jersey, that by default would result in the higher NET pay, right?

No commute into the city.
No worries about NY/NYC taxation (even w/ reciprocal deal forms need to be filed)

Are commuting into the city, and lower net pay, worth one or two day less in the office?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2022, 10:16 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sol210 View Post
So I don’t want to give away too many details, as my identity can easily be figured out and the company names from the details I’m giving. But I am located in Bergen County. Company A is located in Union County. Company A’s commute involves the Parkway and 78. Is 78 as bad as 80 and 287? I’ve never driven it except to Newark Airport.

Both these commutes suck, but in my industry, jobs right in Bergen County are barely existent. I had an interview with one local company, but I did not get the position. That would have been ideal, but it wasn’t reality at this time. I got spoiled working in Bergen County right out of college, and then in Morris County after that (only one office day a week and 4 WFH), but I simply got lucky with my first two jobs. I knew convenience had to end sometime.

Company A was through an outside recruiter, but I had interviews with members of my team and my prospective manager. Company B’s offer was made by their own Talent Acquisition Manager, and she and many people there told me about the 3 days a week. I, like you, am very cynical about WFH lasting. I think by 2024 or earlier, pretty much all companies will be back in the office 5 days a week with no exceptions. It’s sad, because we showed we could do it these past 2 years, but it’s not going to last. I have slight faith that it may last at B only because the internal team told me and not an outside recruiter.

If it was me, I'd try driving the commute at the time I would have to leave to see what the traffic is like by doing a dry run. Traffic on any North Jersey roads can be the pits!

I'm in South Jersey now, so thankful to be done with traffic up there.

Old 05-08-2022, 10:45 AM

6,824 posts, read 10,522,918 times
Which one did you like to people you'd be working with better - gut instinct? Which one did you like the type of work you'd be doing better, gut instinct?

Old 05-08-2022, 11:04 AM

193 posts, read 145,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otowi View Post
Which one did you like to people you'd be working with better - gut instinct? Which one did you like the type of work you'd be doing better, gut instinct?
I suppose Company B, but my gut goes back and forth. I am very excited about both.

Old 05-08-2022, 11:46 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,966,698 times
Follow your gut instincts

Old 05-08-2022, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
What is financial technical writing?

Didn't you have issues with technical writing in your last job?

How is the technical writing different between old and new job?

How do you feel about working in PR vs financial technical writing? Which one (PR vs financial technical writing )seems to be a better fit for you regarding your career goals?

Keep in mind that 45 minute drive can be shortened if you choose to move closer to the new job.

I like jobs with larger companies. Better for growth and training and ability to transfer into a different job as a promotion. Often better benefits and less politics at larger companies. Ability to transfer to a different state if you ever choose.

I don't like to work for super small companies. Larger companies usually have decent software for employees to use and firm processes already in place. Super small companies you often wing it. That can be tough for a fairly young person like yourself. I think the structure of a larger company might suit you better, after reading your prior posts about your last job.

But if PR is a better fit for you (career goal) vs financial technical writing, then small vs large company might be a moot point. You want the actual job title and responsibilities to be a good fit.

Do you have firm offers from both? If the recruiter is still trying to work out WFH days perhaps that one isn't official yet?

Perhaps write the pros/cons of each job down and maybe that will help you decide.
It’s really been an agonizing weekend. I don’t think I heard a word that was said at Mass this morning.

But there’s a 99% chance I’m going to go with Company A. They both have their pros and cons, and Company B definitely lines up more with what I’ve done in the past. But Company A allows me to leverage my current skill sets also, and I feel like there is a lot more growth potential within the company, even though there is potential at both. If I somehow don’t like what I’m doing at A, I can easily apply within the company. B did have a lot of openings also, but it’s always more limited at a small place.

I also do better with structure, rather than having to go in a multitude of different directions at once. Company B would certainly be more all over the place, and I’ve heard that the CEO can be a bit of a bully to work for.

I have some skeptics IRL telling me how Company A would be screwing me socially, guaranteeing I’ll never make any friends or find a romantic partner. I’ll also rip my car apart and have to get a new one in a year, and I’m crazy not to just take the bus and let someone else drive me.

But what partner would I find at 50-person Company B? That’s not what work is for, it’s to make money and develop a career. People who go out in the city tend to live in the city and are able to just walk home after Happy Hour. I’d be less inclined to do those things because unlike people who live right there, I’d have to slog to the PABT afterwards, catch the bus in time, and then do it all over again the next day, unless it was a Thursday. I can go into the city whenever I want on weekends, whether I’m working there or not. I’d actually be more inclined to on a Saturday or Sunday when I’m working in the suburbs and wasn’t just there 3 times that week.

Company A would have 2k people in my building, and I’m sure a good portion of them would be young. Even though it’s not in the city, it’s still a step up socially from my last company. The managers were genuinely nice at both places, asking what I like to do for fun and trying to get to know my personality.

I’m done talking with people IRL because they’re making me crazy. “How could you pass up a PR firm in Manhattan?” Working in the city was never a necessity for young people to expand their social circle. My mother has worked in the suburbs all her life and has never had trouble making friends or dating. They’re also telling me how small companies pay more down the line and how much more quickly I’d advance in a small boutique. Isn’t it the opposite?

Old 05-08-2022, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Variable View Post
I disagree. I have used outside recruiters to land good jobs several times (most recent in past few months) and was never lied to. Besides, the offer comes from the actual employer.

Sounds like the only open issue is # of WFH days at Company A.

OP - What's stopping you from moving to the new NJ area next time your lease renews, so that you can live closer to work. Perhaps you cut the commute down to 15 minutes.
I like where I live. I like being near my family, I like the weather, I’m really happy in my parish and my local hangouts, and I just don’t want to move. If I absolutely have to, I will, but even the thought of it gives me an anxiety attack. It shouldn’t even be an issue in 2022, but most employers are requiring 5 days a week onsite no matter how productive we’ve proven to be at home. I had a mini vacation for the past two years and I have never exercised or slept so much because of the extra time, but it’s time to get back to reality unfortunately.

That being said, I’m almost 100% decided that I will go with Company A, as I feel I would do better with the structure there. The lack of flexibility does suck, as my team would be scattered all over the country, making remote meetings the norm anyway. But my recruiter is working to try and get me one remote day a week, maybe two.

And I know Company B will likely never want to speak with me again assuming I decide to go with A. They went through so much to try and get me all those interviews within one week, as well as having me complete a 5-hour assessment. And now they’re likely going to lose me at the end and have to start from scratch. It’s a horrible feeling for them, and I feel like crap.

Old 05-08-2022, 09:31 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,511,991 times
What do you care if CoB never speaks to you again? You will be working for CoA.
So if CoB, asks, "what would it take for you to change you mind?" What would you do?

Out west, companies in the tech industries will spend days in rounds of interviews, taking up a lot of peoples' time, and then decline the candidate.
YJMV

Old 05-08-2022, 09:38 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,970,292 times
I can't make a decision to save my life! There must be an art -- or science -- to it. Following to see if I can learn the secret...

Old 05-08-2022, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leastprime View Post
What do you care if CoB never speaks to you again? You will be working for CoA.
So if CoB, asks, "what would it take for you to change you mind?" What would you do?

Out west, companies in the tech industries will spend days in rounds of interviews, taking up a lot of peoples' time, and then decline the candidate.
YJMV
To change my mind, it would take like a $10k salary increase. Company B is an awesome company too, and I’m glad I got to interview with them. But I feel I’d do better with the structure of a large company.

I’m also dealing with a woman at Company B, who just celebrated Mother’s Day with her child today and was super nice to me over the phone, asking how my day was, did I hit traffic, etc. I’m dreading giving her the news. She was great this whole time. They both were, but I feel worse because she’s a woman.

Am I turning down flexibility, as in 2 days guaranteed WFH? I may be, but cynically, I don’t see WFH in any form lasting longer than the end of 2022. The exceptions to the rule would be super small and young startups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment