Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2022, 01:09 PM

64 posts, read 95,271 times

Advertisements

Does your current or former employer have a high over turn rate by both full time and part time employees. My employer has a high turn over rate .I have a job at a bird seed plant.
Their are several temporary employees that are employed by the temporary services.
My employer uses three temporary services. In the last 27 years I had a job at this bird seed plant .I seen several employees both full time and temporary leave due to quitting,termination, and layoffs. Some have walked out during their shifts
I started on third shift which I disliked.Then I went to second.I was sent to first shift for awhile then sent back to second shift the current shift I am on.
Their are several reasons why businesses have high turn over rates .
I am interested if anyone has high turn over rates at their job or previous jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2022, 01:15 PM

64 posts, read 95,271 times
I forgot to mention those employees leave due to retirement.

Old 05-05-2022, 01:19 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
If people are leaving because they are retiring, I wouldn't call it a high turnover job. There may be periods of high attrition due to retirement cycles, but that is not the same thing as a high turnover work environment. High turnover is constant churn.

Old 05-05-2022, 02:40 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Yes, it's the reasons for the turnover that are important. At my employer there have also been many retirements lately but we have a lot of people in their 60s. In my department there has been a lot of turnover in the younger staff, but it's actually a good thing. They have been promoted to higher paying positions in other departments. That's normal career progression, and it means more work for me as a manager doing hiring and training, but good for the employees. I currently have one that has been with me for 5 years, one two years, one just under a year, one 6 months, and one just hired. Each of them replaced someone who went to a higher pay job at another department in the same building.

Old 05-05-2022, 11:59 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Well, worked at mold injection plant. Most turnovers are people who just can't deal with the paperwork. A few aren't into showing up every day they do have weekend only shifts and some splits.

Seen 25-35% turnover 30-90 days, 10-20% 90-6 months and 7% a year. The record was the first year. 125% turnover. But it's dropped since then.

Old 05-06-2022, 09:37 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times
High turnover is not about retirement.

High turnover is about really bad things happening at work that cause people to say "Screw it! I'm outtahere!" and leave for greener pastures.

It is also people getting fired because of lack of training/opportunities to learn from mistakes.

Old 05-06-2022, 10:48 AM

23,539 posts, read 24,029,400 times
On a similar note, I once was recruited to a start-up, by a high pressure recruiter (I learned a lesson here) which had a high turnover rate, for the position was interviewing for. It should have been a big “red flag.”

Instead, I went through the multi-level interview process, got a good offer and accepted the offer.

After I joined the company, I knew after the first few days why this start-up was experiencing high turnover. I had a sinking feeling, the company was completely dysfunctional. Teams were pitted against each other, the product they were trying to bring to market was in disarray, the culture was full of bullies and power struggles were ongoing. A “toxic” working environment!

Old 05-20-2022, 07:16 PM

461 posts, read 509,213 times
My company has a high turnover rate due to being a high stress, heavy workload industry. It sure is annoying. It takes months to train someone just for them to leave. And anymore it seems like people don't want to do any work. Very frustrating. This is industry wide and no way to lesson the stress or workload.

Old 05-21-2022, 02:46 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,129,422 times
First of all, seeing "several" people leave over 27 years is not high turnover by any definition.

Not only do retirements not count -- layoffs don't count.
And to a certain extent terminations don't count. (Since they're employer initiated.)

AND we're talking about a company that has full-time AND part-time workers?
Please.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment