Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2022, 01:32 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Your benefit will increase at
your full retirement age to account for
benefits withheld due to earlier earnings.
Yeah, I can see why that's confusing. They don't explain this very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2022, 06:07 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,069,413 times
Would your employer possibly agree for you to work part time to keep your hours down so you are not making more than the $19,000?

Old 04-23-2022, 06:22 AM

144 posts, read 186,464 times
You know, if times were different, I wouldn't have even considered this assignment. But with the crashing of the market the past few months and inflation raging out of control....I figure, why not work. It at least gives me some type of control over the gas and food price jumps we're facing.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:33 AM

144 posts, read 186,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smt1111 View Post
Would your employer possibly agree for you to work part time to keep your hours down so you are not making more than the $19,000?
Well, to tell you the truth, I'm sort of hoping to turn this into a part time gig (as long as I like it) after the six month full time assignment is up.

Old 04-23-2022, 06:45 AM

10,864 posts, read 6,467,480 times
You are still young,many would wish they have offer like yours.I would take it,no matter how much is the penalty,keep up with the outside working world,your skills,like you said ,with inflation and rising costs,extra money help,more important you have a way to earn extra in the future if needed.

Old 04-23-2022, 07:13 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
OP, have you decided if it's worth it?

COULD you asked them to hire you for less time to stay under the earnings threshold? OR, IF you're going to do it, just go all the way, and work the full time, 6-month gig?

Do you NEED the money? Or would it just be nice to have?
If you don't NEED it, then as Joe from Dayton says, you really just have to decide if it's worth your time taken from others things and committing to something vs having your time be your own...and the additional tax -- if not complications, and least tax factors/issues.

If you were born in 1957, your FRA is 66 snd 6 months, so that's when you'd start seeing the withholding back in your benefit amount. From what I've read it takes them a lot longer to put in back in, than the time they withheld it. Meaning if they hold back 10 months of benefits, they don't give you that money back over ten months, they stretch the payback back over a lot longer than that. I'm not cool with that. IF they hold back 19 months why can't the give it back over 10 months. Heck, why can't they just give it back in a lump sum. It's owed, they've not paid it out over the 10 months. Why can't they pay it back right away at FRA?

I've been thinking about this myself, so very interested in your thought process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment