Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What Motivated You to Leave Your Job Between 2020 - 2022?
Didn't want to go back to: low pay, long hours, toxic environment, unfulfillment 14 40.00%
Mandates 5 14.29%
Want a different path in life/ more freedom 11 31.43%
Other reason - explain 10 28.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2022, 12:02 PM

137 posts, read 199,912 times

Advertisements

BEST RESPONSE AWARD! I could not agree with you more. The "promote sociopaths to management and let HR run totally amok with their junk science" really made me laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyclingChemist View Post
I think companies were so used to 2008-15 labor economics where people were so desperate for a job they could get away with anything. Offer college grads $15/hour for professional positions, promote sociopaths to management, fire people on a whim, treat workers badly, let HR run totally amok with their junk science, demand a MSc and 5 years experience with Windows 11, ghost applicants... They are having a hard time adapting to actually not being able to churn and burn through talent. I think many companies are going to experience hurt until they change their attitudes toward workers.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/29-j...014602901.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 12:09 PM

984 posts, read 443,929 times
I chose option 3. I went from a job that was kind of inflexible when we were in-office to very inflexible once we went home, to one that's quite flexible at home. As long as I'm there for meetings and most mornings from 9 to noon or so, I can vary my hours however I need/want. So if I want to start early and be done early, that's fine. If I want to start later and end later, that's fine. Also, if I need to take an afternoon off and work late a few other days to make it up or even work on a Saturday, that's ok, too. There's no problem with stepping away for a half hour or so to run a quick errand or to take lunch early or late.

Basically, I wanted to be treated like a professional adult who knows how to manage her work and her time, and now I am.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:14 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,045,587 times
How about the fact that corporate profits increased 25% year to year from 2020 to 2021 and while it's been beaten to death the American worker is lazy and not wanting to work, how about the perspective many companies aren't rehiring after seeing what treasure troves awaited them. Simply cry "oh woe is me" and point to "lazy" workers as the reason, lower your standard for quality and service, then watch profits climb 25%. Who would want to change that??

Old 04-19-2022, 07:37 AM

4,038 posts, read 1,887,398 times
Pandemic did at least three things to "force the hand" of employees and employers:

1. As a larger philosophical points - folks from all circles put a new priority on what is actually important.
2. As businesses closed / reduced hours / ran lean / whatever - they realized they don't need everyone, and also realize who the contributors are (and aren't);
3. As folks were either laid-off or outright out of work - they found new jobs, in some cases out of desperation - but in doing so realized that there was greener grass out there somewhere.

We all always knew all these things - but no one gave us the push we need - to either realize Work and Money ain't all it's made out to be, that Chuck in Shipping really should be let go, and that, as it turns out, I enjoy driving an uber more than building furniture, but was never going to risk it in the past.

Lots of variables here - so the great SOMETHING has definitely happened, and will carry on for a bit, as long as the sting of covid is fresh in everyone's mind - but I don't think "resignation" is the right word.

Old 04-19-2022, 10:11 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,235,990 times
I left because the company was shutting down that office even before the pandemic (building was being sold). They gave us six months notice, so plenty of time to take advantage of my "passive candidate" status and landed a better job making more money, with more opportunity to grow.

Had they not shut down that office, I would have stayed. So guess technically I'm not part of the "great resignation"

Old 04-19-2022, 10:52 AM

1,589 posts, read 1,133,176 times
The poll results actually conflict with what I have seen in my company. The company many months ago started pushing back to work full time. The blowback amounted to a mass exodus of employees who wanted to remain remote. Nearly all of them found positions in other companies that were remote from them so they could stay remote. Some took pay cuts even to achieve it and are very happy.

So my observation has been "mandates" are the main reason for leaving.

Old 04-19-2022, 11:09 AM

35,108 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
The poll results actually conflict with what I have seen in my company. The company many months ago started pushing back to work full time. The blowback amounted to a mass exodus of employees who wanted to remain remote. Nearly all of them found positions in other companies that were remote from them so they could stay remote. Some took pay cuts even to achieve it and are very happy.

So my observation has been "mandates" are the main reason for leaving.
After multiple years being remote, I'd be hard-pressed to go back into an office full-time. The problem with a company forcing people back to the office is "first mover disadvantage." Like you said, back to the office mandates generally end up with the most talented and in-demand people leaving quickly, often for opportunities at employers that will allow them to remain remote.

Old 04-19-2022, 02:53 PM

4,038 posts, read 1,887,398 times
Remote working will also have its adjustment. I am paid the pay I'm paid because the area I live in is associated with a certain cost of living.

If you can do your job anywhere...I'm not sure I should pay you MY local cost of living.

Not yet - but eventually - remote businesses based in San Fransisco will offer the next position to a guy that already lives in Buffalo or Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Eventually, it will trend the other way, and working at home will cease to offer a great advantage (if pay is a priority).

For now, though, it's an easy decision - if you're working at home.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:00 PM

1,894 posts, read 854,489 times
because the government was paying me more to sit at home instead of going back to driving a truck

Old 04-19-2022, 06:06 PM

35,108 posts, read 31,381,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Remote working will also have its adjustment. I am paid the pay I'm paid because the area I live in is associated with a certain cost of living.

If you can do your job anywhere...I'm not sure I should pay you MY local cost of living.

Not yet - but eventually - remote businesses based in San Fransisco will offer the next position to a guy that already lives in Buffalo or Cleveland or Pittsburgh. Eventually, it will trend the other way, and working at home will cease to offer a great advantage (if pay is a priority).

For now, though, it's an easy decision - if you're working at home.
I'll make a little over $100k this year in a low cost of living area. My house payment is $675/month. Even if I could make another $50k somewhere as a business analyst, would I even come out ahead in a big metro? My guess is that I'd be better here or some other quasi-low COL area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment