Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2022, 12:15 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,764,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
This is true,
However, with the right attitude, one can convince a prospect employer that there is a strong willingness to learn, and one can at least get a foot in the door starting off with a minimalistic job (such as data entry,) learn the ropes, and move up from there.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, and one doesn't want to go to college, etc., get a job as a clerk at a grocery store, and work your way up to management. This route takes a while, but can also be quite a lucrative career, without ever having to set foot on a college campus or trade school.
That's not going to work in a career such as accounting which is what the OP now wants to be in. Few employers today have time to teach someone how to do a job that several steps above them. When was the last time you met someone who was a janitor and became a programmer? How'd they do it? Their charm and good looks didn't get them the promotion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2022, 12:36 PM

17,741 posts, read 15,937,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
That's not going to work in a career such as accounting which is what the OP now wants to be in. Few employers today have time to teach someone how to do a job that several steps above them. When was the last time you met someone who was a janitor and became a programmer? How'd they do it? Their charm and good looks didn't get them the promotion.
Oh. Sorry, I missed that post about accounting...

Old 02-23-2022, 12:45 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,135,848 times
Quote:
I agree, accounting is more of a specialized field. If you don't understand accrual accounting, debits and credits, and the financial statements, you're gong to be pretty lost in that field, even at a junior level.

Bookkeeping, OTOH, might be a good starting point. Lots of people without accounting degrees get into bookkeeping services.

Old 02-23-2022, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I agree, accounting is more of a specialized field. If you don't understand accrual accounting, debits and credits, and the financial statements, you're gong to be pretty lost in that field, even at a junior level.

Bookkeeping, OTOH, might be a good starting point. Lots of people without accounting degrees get into bookkeeping services.
Back in the day I was a full charge bookkeeper. I had an associate degree. I can't imagine being a bookkeeper without some sort of training. You still need to understand accrual accounting, debits and credits, and financial statements. You're creating those financial statements! You also need to understand taxes....all kinds of taxes. I had to prepare financial statements every month and annual ones. There's a lot more to bookkeeping that just depositing checks and paying bills.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:02 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,135,848 times
Quote:
Back in the day I was a full charge bookkeeper. I had an associate degree. I can't imagine being a bookkeeper without some sort of training. You still need to understand accrual accounting, debits and credits, and financial statements. You're creating those financial statements! You also need to understand taxes....all kinds of taxes. I had to prepare financial statements every month and annual ones. There's a lot more to bookkeeping that just depositing checks and paying bills.
I think it depends on the role and the tech they use. With bookkeeping software like QuickBooks, it does everything for you. My MIL keeps the books for my FIL's business and she knows very little about technical accounting practices. Of course, they are likely using cash basis of accounting since they're a small shop.

My first role was, in a sense, a bookkeeper. We processed PR, AP, sales, and inventory, and the journal entries were all done on the backend. The software created statements automatically. Absolutely nothing about the job entailed manually inputting JEs unless we were doing a reclass of some sort.

Old 02-23-2022, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I think it depends on the role and the tech they use. With bookkeeping software like QuickBooks, it does everything for you. My MIL keeps the books for my FIL's business and she knows very little about technical accounting practices. Of course, they are likely using cash basis of accounting since they're a small shop.

My first role was, in a sense, a bookkeeper. We processed PR, AP, sales, and inventory, and the journal entries were all done on the backend. The software created statements automatically. Absolutely nothing about the job entailed manually inputting JEs unless we were doing a reclass of some sort.
I used software too and still had to know what I was doing. There were many general ledger adjustments that had to be made due to flaws in the software. I worked in property management and the automotive industry. In property management, I had over 100 property accounts to manage. Every month. So fun. LOL

Old 02-23-2022, 01:26 PM

4,752 posts, read 2,928,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal813 View Post
This is true,
However, with the right attitude, one can convince a prospect employer that there is a strong willingness to learn, and one can at least get a foot in the door starting off with a minimalistic job (such as data entry,) learn the ropes, and move up from there.

If that doesn't work for whatever reason, and one doesn't want to go to college, etc., get a job as a clerk at a grocery store, and work your way up to management. This route takes a while, but can also be quite a lucrative career, without ever having to set foot on a college campus or trade school.
Well, if you have no idea what operating expenses are, or how to manage to a budget, or the requirements of food safety, you're not going to magically pick those up by osmosis while you're sacking groceries. Either you're going to take the initiative to get the necessary training, or your employer will see something in you and send you to that training, before you can become a store manager (for example).

Old 02-23-2022, 02:01 PM

5,454 posts, read 3,454,157 times
If you can't answer their questions then they know you aren't a candidate. It's all part of interviewing prospective employees. Don't waste your time applying for something you know you cannot fulfill.

I think you are a good candidate to take an aptitude test and find out what you might be suited for. You can also shadow someone in the profession you are thinking of before you commit to classes in a trade.

I took mine in middle school and the test came up with Marketing. I thought what the hell is that? This was in the days that women did not work out of the home. Well it turned out many years later I became a master at it during my 35+ year career.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:32 PM

17,741 posts, read 15,937,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Well, if you have no idea what operating expenses are, or how to manage to a budget, or the requirements of food safety, you're not going to magically pick those up by osmosis while you're sacking groceries. Either you're going to take the initiative to get the necessary training, or your employer will see something in you and send you to that training, before you can become a store manager (for example).
Your last sentence was exactly what I was alluding to. Working your way up always means acquiring the proper knowledge and training. I’m any field of work.

Old 02-23-2022, 03:55 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,304,532 times
OP, if you believe employers are unfair for asking questions about certain situations, trust me you are not ready for the position. How else do you think employers can formulate an opinion about your capabilities and expertise? Do you honestly think a company should hire you if you are bringing nothing to the table?
Where does this mindset come from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment