Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2022, 06:42 AM

23,895 posts, read 33,644,898 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grace84 View Post
There is a woman who is new at work. She will ask me about a process which I have extensive knowledge of the organisation and will give her an answer. I give my answer, she doubts it then says she will ask someone else. She has done this a few times now. I find this rude. Why ask if you doubt someone’s judgement. No-one else does this to me and people are grateful for my help.

Whatever it is, maybe you're not explaining it the way she understands. Do yourself a favor, tell her you don't have time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2022, 06:50 AM

9,492 posts, read 5,273,735 times
I used to work with a brainiac and (before she herself promoted to a supervisory position) would go to the really tenured people in our unit and ask "You probably don't know the answer to this, but......." and then ask her question.
She with 2 years on the job and the tenured people with 20 years on the job. Granted, she was very smart, and most of them liked her so much they didn't take offense because they didn't think she meant anything by it. She was just awkward.

I like the idea of just telling your co-worker you don't know the next time. If she doesn't like your answers, of course, she could have asked for further info, to flesh things out, tell you what she wasn't clear on. Sometimes people are looking for the answer THEY want....not the right answer.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:03 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,075,953 times
This has happened to me too and I attributed it to my not being a dynamic communicator. I'm knowledgeable/experienced but sometimes have trouble putting my knowledge into words. So a new person might think I'm a dud and don't know the answer--which isn't true. Some people are just not great at explaining things despite their knowledge.

I think she'll eventually figure out who she likes the most in the department (those she has a rapport with) and gravitate to those people for help. Some companies assign mentors/trainers to new people too.

Old 01-20-2022, 08:07 AM

35,131 posts, read 31,412,038 times
As the new person, you're sort of supposed to give some deference to employees who've been there awhile. You aren't a known quantity in that organization.

Old 01-20-2022, 10:06 AM

13,288 posts, read 8,484,651 times
A person with knowledge and zero humility probably 'would take offense. '

Found out when giving instruction to leave that opportunity of ' I may not know it all , if you wish , please DO ask Sally, or Charles or Terry. ' . Keep yourself in check. I've learned many things just by listening to the person who is asking or open to responses. I'd want a person to say, thanks for your support, I think I'll check with Terry too!
Maybe it's because I believe there is more then ONE way to skin a cat. My way may not be THE way.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:13 PM

5,135 posts, read 4,495,572 times
There's nothing wrong with her asking someone else to confirm what you tell her.

However, it is rude of her to tell you that she doubts you. If she had any manners, she would thank you, and then confirm what you said with someone else without letting you know that she was doing so.

I would not continue to help anyone who kept telling me that they doubt everything I say/explain.

Old 01-20-2022, 01:46 PM

4,998 posts, read 2,730,701 times
Quote:
There is a woman who is new at work. She will ask me about a process which I have extensive knowledge of the organisation and will give her an answer. I give my answer, she doubts it then says she will ask someone else. She has done this a few times now. I find this rude. Why ask if you doubt someone’s judgement. No-one else does this to me and people are grateful for my help.
Next time tell her to "ask someone else".

Old 01-20-2022, 02:56 PM

288 posts, read 202,905 times
Thank you for all of your replies. I think what bugged me was being told by her she lacked confidence in my answer when I was advising her of the organisation’s procedure. A colleague in her team was in the office today and I could hear this woman on the phone to her and she was doubting what her teammate had been teaching her as her teammate said she had already shown her what to do and to re-read the guidance and training notes. Her team manager is quite rude too and doesn’t even know her name. I felt better as these people are asking others for help now and dismissing their advice too so it’s not just me.

Old 01-22-2022, 01:39 AM

23,895 posts, read 33,644,898 times
Quote:
Thank you for all of your replies. I think what bugged me was being told by her she lacked confidence in my answer when I was advising her of the organisation’s procedure. A colleague in her team was in the office today and I could hear this woman on the phone to her and she was doubting what her teammate had been teaching her as her teammate said she had already shown her what to do and to re-read the guidance and training notes. Her team manager is quite rude too and doesn’t even know her name. I felt better as these people are asking others for help now and dismissing their advice too so it’s not just me.

I was just doing laundry, my son has the perfect shirt for you to get and wear at work. As soon as I took it out of the washer, I thought of your thread.

A lot of places sell the shirt online in all different colors.

Old 01-22-2022, 12:27 PM

50,979 posts, read 36,672,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Maybe your explanations aren't actually explanatory. I've worked with people like that. My rule is to ask three times and if I can't get a clear answer, move along. Maybe her rule is to ask once.
That’s a good point. Some people, especially if it’s a technical answer, don’t explain it in “dumb“ enough terms for me to understand. Like I had an algebra teacher once in college who I think was brilliant, but it came so naturally to him that he was really unable to explain it in a way that the rest of us understood what he was talking about. I dropped the class, I took it again the next semester with a teacher who was like a kindergarten teacher, and I got an A because she simplified it so even those who weren’t good at math (me) understood it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment