Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2021, 10:22 PM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Where did you get your degree in journalism?
Just as it doesn't take a Veterinarian to know the difference between a horse and horse manure, it's doesn't take a journalist to know the difference between real information and an opinion piece.

Well, for starters, what kind of jobs do people with that degree get? What is the pay range? Where are the jobs? How many openings each year? How many graduate with that degree each year? What is the average debt? If she only paid for one semester, how as the rest of the degree paid for? What kind of jobs do people with that degree actually get? How does the degree (or the information learned as part of the degree) relate to/help/hinder the types of jobs people actually get? What skills does that degree provide? What skills are common with other degrees that can lead to jobs?

That's just for starters. That kind of article would actually provide useful information to readers. There are a lot of different directions it could go from there. But the author went with a "poor student" emotional view than useful information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2021, 10:46 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,298,831 times
I couldn't understand what kind of art she does.

I know that talented artists who can quickly draw and animate 3D images using popular drawing programs get jobs pretty quickly. Every gaming studio always looks for good artists.

Old 12-27-2021, 10:53 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,058,060 times
What's really the market for a degree in studio art + german language? OR will it really require reaching deep into your bag of tricks, to find as much as create a paying career out of thin air? Marshall McLuhan said — 'Art is anything you can get away with.'

NC Chapel Hill seems like a fine school. However, this thread links to her gofundme, which links to her vanity domain, which links to her Youtube channel (oooh, 11 subscribers - watch out, Casey Neistat & PewDiePie)

but watch her "Green Screen" youtube video. Go head. It has 78 views as I post this.

I wouldn't hire her to represent my company. Or museum, foundation, charity, or startup.

Old 12-28-2021, 12:27 AM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Read the article. Actually, seems more like an opinion piece disguised as an article. Not a lot of depth or research behind it. There are a lot of statements in the article that are true individually but don't necessarily make a cohesive story. It also mentions in passing that she only paid for the first semester and only has $20K in student debt.

Not only does she "only" have $20k of student loan debt, she's going to be one of those crying later on that it's 3, 4, maybe even 5 times more than the original amount of student debt than she "originally took out". I wouldn't be surprised to learn that the $20k number is actually not what she originally took out, but what it is due to growth because of interest since she's 28 years old.

According to what I'm quoting below, it sounds like she's stupidly not paying her loan during this time when interest is frozen. She's probably waiting for Biden to cancel student loan debt. Surprised there's no mention of it in that opinion "article".

Quote:
She added that even though she only had to pay for one semester of her master's program, she still went nearly $20,000 in debt. Due to student loan payments being postponed again, she is not sweating it—at least right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
She got a Masters Degree in... wait for it... Studio Art.

And now she complains that getting a Masters degree was a mistake.

Most of us could of told her that before she even started...

Stupid...

What can you do with a masters in studio art? You could consider a career doing design work for ad agencies, marketing departments and small non-profit organizations or companies. You could even start your own graphic design firm. As a manager of your art, teaching offers opportunities at all levels, as does working in local art galleries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
Looks like her GoFundMe to study in Rome didn't work out so good. Photo at link.

https://www.gofundme.com/f/ni1g5o

I could use some beer. I can afford it, but I would prefer a gofundme instead.

The go fund me is about 6 years old. It's showing donations from 81 months ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
What's really the market for a degree in studio art + german language? OR will it really require reaching deep into your bag of tricks, to find as much as create a paying career out of thin air? Marshall McLuhan said — 'Art is anything you can get away with.'

NC Chapel Hill seems like a fine school. However, this thread links to her gofundme, which links to her vanity domain, which links to her Youtube channel (oooh, 11 subscribers - watch out, Casey Neistat & PewDiePie)

but watch her "Green Screen" youtube video. Go head. It has 78 views as I post this.

I wouldn't hire her to represent my company. Or museum, foundation, charity, or startup.

I went to the school site to see if I can find prices for her degree but am not seeing any. I'm curious to know a ball park of how much it originally cost her.

University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Studio Art Major

Germanic and Slavic Languages and Literatures Major, B.A.–German Literature and Culture Concentration

Quote:
In undergrad she double-majored in studio art and German language studies, later working as an assistant preparator at a local museum.

She then received her master's in studio art from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It wasn't long until one employer after another passed on her, causing depression, frustration and making her feel "very foolish."

Old 12-28-2021, 06:08 AM

5,900 posts, read 3,900,192 times
Well, judging by her Twitter profile, it seems like she is not exactly setting the world on fire...

Quote:
We should have known God was a bad guy when he decided not to let saliva moisturize our lips

Quote:
mistletoe is what christmas trees get when they wear tight pants

Quote:
i don’t have “goals” i’m not “soccer”

I'm starting to think there is a lot more going on there than just the college degree.

Old 12-28-2021, 07:36 AM

12,847 posts, read 9,055,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
As a side note, I'm on the board of a local museum. There are thousands of those in small towns around the country. Most of these hire a few professional employees to run the museum. The thing is, what we look for in hiring is the same as any business -- management skills, business skill, ability to plan and budget. Things like that. Being able to "do" art is totally unimportant in the job.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:01 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
I have a Masters Degree from a "good" school. I tell people it is a handicap which i have overcome!

Seriously, it opened doors in the right places for me and from that i have had a great career.

But "Studio Art"? I don't think so. Glad she has had fun. Some day the rent (and loans) will be due and then reality sets in.

Old 12-28-2021, 08:52 AM

7,348 posts, read 4,134,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
What can you do with a masters in studio art?

You could consider a career doing design work for ad agencies, marketing departments and small non-profit organizations or companies. You could even start your own graphic design firm. As a manager of your art, teaching offers opportunities at all levels, as does working in local art galleries.

My daughter went to a career counselor who suggested an art museum job. I had a fit because 99% of museums pay too poorly to live independently.

My daughter did work for a local art museum for three years. Loved her poorly paid job. However, as she was about to turn 26, she aged out of my health insurance. She asked the owner for benefits and the answer was no. All the other employees were married women with husband who provided health insurance.

Unfortunately, "a starving artist" is a real thing. Starving artists need a form of income outside of their work. Starting a graphic design firm or manager of your art requires a lot of money to get off the ground. Art jobs don't pay well. Art gallery jobs don't pay well. If you don't come from money or married into money, it's a difficult. It's like the WSJ article on starving film study masters grads - some professionals don't pay.

Quote:
"The job market in the arts is shamefully small and I knew that going into my degrees," she said. "I would say to them, though, that it is our fault collectively for not valuing the humanities and not creating more opportunities in that sector. And frankly, that argument is kind of irrelevant in this instance anyway. I was applying for any and all jobs I felt that I had the slightest of qualifications for. Art jobs only made up a small fraction of the things to which I applied."

Old 12-28-2021, 09:21 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
Well, judging by her Twitter profile, it seems like she is not exactly setting the world on fire...

I'm starting to think there is a lot more going on there than just the college degree.
Those puns are actually not half bad. Maybe she should be an apprentice of Kevin Hart

Old 12-28-2021, 09:24 AM

25,575 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
She got a Masters Degree in... wait for it... Studio Art.

And now she complains that getting a Masters degree was a mistake.

Most of us could of told her that before she even started...
Actually, I am astounded that she found 400 places to apply to with that degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment