Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 11:07 AM

29,755 posts, read 34,434,332 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmellc View Post
In some organizations, HR and department management are totally separate. HR sees a red flag when someone badges out early and investigates. They probably reprimanded the manager for allowing him to leave early.
But, did OP's friend speak to his manager to say, "hey, I'm getting flak from HR about leaving early the other day, when you told me I could"? As soon as HR contacted him, he should have looped the manager in, because the manager might have been able to clear it up while the friend was waiting to hear back from HR. Also, he should have gotten the permission to take time off in writing, then he could have forwarded the email to HR to prove that he was given leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2021, 03:33 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,148,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
"Bereavement leave" IS usually restricted to certain family members. Should've used personal leave. Hard to believe someone would be terminated over this.
I agree its nuts, and was rude and overboard. Someone in his family died. Despite corporates often unrealistic views and classifications on things, they have no way of knowing just how close he was to this family member as it is.

Just because its legal does not make it a good thing to do. Best he moved on. I wonder if any other good workers heard this and are concerned for future emergecies they will have. And they will. So will HR and management. Life happens, death happens.

Old 11-24-2021, 10:49 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
If it's a planned event. In non-production roles in Corporate America, people take time off with short notice all the time for various reasons: illness, pet died, hot water tank exploded, etc. I once had an appointment to meet with the HR director at a former company and she she cancelled it because she was out of the office due to her dog dying. Not exactly planned, not exactly part of the bereavement policy either. But this does happen, especially in non-production roles in Corporate America. Blue collar, production roles have a very different set of rules and expectations than white collar, corporate roles. There tends to be way more flexibility and leniency in white collar, corporate roles from my first hand experience.

I know OP's situation is different, but I'm specifically addressing your comment that even PTO is for planned events. In fact, it's not only for that. It's for any event that requires you to take time off, planned or not. Obviously planned is more helpful, but life doesn't always work out as planned.
PTO is only used for planned leave in my job. In the past few years, we have switched to a four day heads up period. It originally was through our time clock, now it is through a paper form and when I put in for two days, one about two weeks out and one two months out, I only got clarification for the first PTO day the day before.

Old 11-25-2021, 07:14 PM

995 posts, read 548,684 times
Unless his finances are dire I think getting fired from that job was a good thing. Such callous, cold individuals are not worthy of his work/effort.

Old 11-26-2021, 07:30 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,444,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chas863 View Post
With the shortage of workers for almost ANY type job today, I can't imagine a company firing a GOOD employee for the reason you mentioned. Now if he were a marginal or poor employee, then the reason given "unauthorized leave" was likely just a good excuse to get rid of him, but he would have to be pretty bad for that to happen, IMO.
Sounds like HR being HR.

Old 11-27-2021, 06:19 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,691,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
PTO is only used for planned leave in my job. In the past few years, we have switched to a four day heads up period. It originally was through our time clock, now it is through a paper form and when I put in for two days, one about two weeks out and one two months out, I only got clarification for the first PTO day the day before.
My job sort of incentivizes people to take time off if they finish their work early for the month or before a holiday. Our quotas reset at the beginning of each month, and if you start a project before a holiday, you’re likely to forget what you were doing by the time you come back.

That said, you are required to get your time approved in writing before you take it, unless it is sick leave or administrative leave for something like your internet not working. Chances are if you picked the wrong type of leave, you’d just be asked to change it later. I can’t imagine them firing someone for taking bereavement leave- they’d just go in and have it changed at the back end.

Old 11-27-2021, 08:47 AM

10,614 posts, read 12,147,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
So, what would you have done IF that clarification had not come through?
For example, if you've asked for Thur. off -- and you've at work and it's Wed and you STILL have heard -- what would you do?

I'm just asking.
I know what I personally would do in your case.

But, clearly from the OP's example people handle time off requests differently....some are more diligent than others about getting things in writing and getting clarification, and keeping managers and HR in the same loop.

I'm just curious about how people handle these things.

Old 11-27-2021, 10:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
So, what would you have done IF that clarification had not come through?
For example, if you've asked for Thur. off -- and you've at work and it's Wed and you STILL have heard -- what would you do?

I'm just asking.
I know what I personally would do in your case.

But, clearly from the OP's example people handle time off requests differently....some are more diligent than others about getting things in writing and getting clarification, and keeping managers and HR in the same loop.

I'm just curious about how people handle these things.
I emailed and made sure that I was off because that was a day I told my new site about ASAP. I did that before knowing about the form. My direct supervisors knew as well, it just had to go through admin. It just didn't clear until the night before. At that point I wouldn't have shown up for work because the rest of my ducks in a row was covered and I would blame it on the new system.

Old 11-28-2021, 10:18 AM

34,078 posts, read 17,129,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRick24 View Post

He's now working at another job, but even with "At Will" employment, wouldn't he have legal recourse? How crazy is that?
He would not. It is not uncommon for corps to limit leave to immediate family members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment