Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2021, 08:51 PM

6,361 posts, read 5,017,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandi9 View Post

I hate looking like a cheap person to my clients and I deserve some of that money to impress my clientele base. I'm sick of being a bad host to my clients, because I don't give then anything.
She's the boss and you're the peon. What part of that don't you understand?

If you don't like the situation, seek employment elsewhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2021, 08:54 PM

12,972 posts, read 9,246,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
If she is your boss, why do you think it should be split 50/50?

Does she have a pile of printer ink in her office or does she go hunting around first, too?

Is it possible that she is chipping in her own money for client gifts?

Depending on your field and the number of years of experience you both have, I think it would be tough to make a case that she's doing anything wrong without more info/proof.
Realistically it's not the boss's money. It's funds to execute the mission of the office. Whether that's paper, printer ink, or SWAG gifts, it should be spent in the manner most advantages to the office as a whole, not for one person or the other.

Almost sounds like there is some kind of competition between boss and employee or a very poorly run branch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
It isn't unreasonable to expect you to be efficient with office supplies. Use what's available before buying new. Right now this sounds personal and kind of whiny. Change it up. Make it harder for her to dismiss your concern and do so in a professional manner.

Why don't you prepare a reasonable budget for your operational needs, clearly justify those expenses, itemize what you aren't getting now and explain why that reflects negatively on the company image. Submit that to her and cc the upper level management your boss gets your department's funding from. It may trigger a more equitable budget discussion, it may not. You'll also be putting her on notice that you are keeping others in the financial loop. If you can't find a way to broach this topic with your manager, you'll need to go over her head.
Overall, I agree with what you said. My one thought about the bolded is, is that often being efficient is actually costly. One of the biggest problems I see with efficiency in the supply budget for example, is increased labor costs. A perfect example is ink or toner. While you should certainly use what is on hand, it also needs to be on hand. Having to search around, beg, borrow, or acquire from another office, or having to run to the office supply store is a huge cost in labor that totally destroys whatever intended savings there were. Throughout my career I've had managers who thought nothing of expending hours of labor expense to save $5 on paper costs.

Last edited by tnff; 11-03-2021 at 09:02 PM..

Old 11-03-2021, 09:38 PM

639 posts, read 406,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
Realistically it's not the boss's money. It's funds to execute the mission of the office. Whether that's paper, printer ink, or SWAG gifts, it should be spent in the manner most advantages to the office as a whole, not for one person or the other.

Almost sounds like there is some kind of competition between boss and employee or a very poorly run branch.

Overall, I agree with what you said. My one thought about the bolded is, is that often being efficient is actually costly. One of the biggest problems I see with efficiency in the supply budget for example, is increased labor costs. A perfect example is ink or toner. While you should certainly use what is on hand, it also needs to be on hand. Having to search around, beg, borrow, or acquire from another office, or having to run to the office supply store is a huge cost in labor that totally destroys whatever intended savings there were. Throughout my career I've had managers who thought nothing of expending hours of labor expense to save $5 on paper costs.

Yes, sometimes I'm like $20 for ink, so I can print something fast is worth it. Rumaging to find ink,, that may fit takes time. The place I worked at before this, though the people weren't as nice, they thought nothing of buying supplies we needed or even gifts for clients. As long as it wasn't thousands. Anything $100 or less was easily accepted and bought without issue.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:11 AM

6,609 posts, read 11,374,341 times
Quote:
Curious if anyone has advice. I am in a department of two. It's just me and my boss. I barely ever, probably have never, asked for money for anything. My boss gets a budget from the company yearly, but doesn't tell me much about it. I once asked for ink for my printer, and she tried to find me ink around the office, instead of just spending the $20.

Every time I ask for anything, she tries to get me to use whatever we already have. I'm a cheap worker. But then she buys whatever she wants. She gets her clients nice gifts. I have to use the cheap office crap that's leftover. She throws big events for her clients and spends money. I don't.

I get the vibe that she hogs our budget for all her own stuff, when we are supposed to split it. When I wanted to invest in new software to help me only, she said no, because it didn't help her. But she just okay'd software recently for both of us, because it also helps her. And she just spent over $1000 on another program that only helps her, that I can't use.

Last year, I found out from a secretary that the company gave $1500 back to every department. The money was for anyone that has "green" clients. I have green clients. She doesn't. I never saw that money. She spent it. It was supposed to be for me and my clients.

Today, I asked her for $100 to buy nice gifts for a few of my clients that are doing me a favor. I told her I want to keep on good terms with them for the future. I want to get them nicer gifts than a cheap mug or pen. She insists I use the cheap giveaway crap that we already have.

How do I go about this?

I hate looking like a cheap person to my clients and I deserve some of that money to impress my clientele base. I'm sick of being a bad host to my clients, because I don't give then anything.
This seems like so little money to be worried about. Seriously? You need to get permission to buy ink cartridges? How small is this company?

That said - Is the budget really the issue? Or is this indicative of how your manager works in general?

If she is super nice and really supports you... but for whatever reason is super tight with the budget, and that is impacting your ability to do your job, then I would make case to talk to her. Maybe just find out why that is. Perhaps she was dinged big time in the past or is just carrying baggage from a different job.

Of course, if she is just hard to work with overall.... the budget isn't really the issue then.

But at the end of the day - if she is in charge of managing said budget. You're gonna have to deal with it. Again, if it was me, I'd have a conversation with her. At least I'd have more information to figure how to proceed.

Old 11-04-2021, 07:47 AM

25,008 posts, read 11,424,223 times
Quote:
Yes, sometimes I'm like $20 for ink, so I can print something fast is worth it. Rumaging to find ink,, that may fit takes time. The place I worked at before this, though the people weren't as nice, they thought nothing of buying supplies we needed or even gifts for clients. As long as it wasn't thousands. Anything $100 or less was easily accepted and bought without issue.
That was then. This is now. What keeps you where you are? Why do you get into a pinch about ink instead of knowing where the office supplies are? My printer tells me when it is getting hungry for ink.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threestep2 View Post
That was then. This is now. What keeps you where you are? Why do you get into a pinch about ink instead of knowing where the office supplies are? My printer tells me when it is getting hungry for ink.
I'm reading this as a poorly run office that doesn't keep basic stock on hand or in disarray. I've had bosses like that who couldn't really deal with big dollar projects so focused all their energy on trivia like ink, paper, and pens. Not kidding. Had a boss one time who wanted to control one pen at a time and would write between lines in order to reuse paper. Wasn't driven by cost by his personal views.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:39 AM

3,034 posts, read 2,278,565 times
Quote:

Agree 100%. But if the boss has more clients or more $$$ clients, it makes sense that more of the budget goes her way.

Quote:
Again, agree 100%. But it could have some kind of budget considerations. For example, certain costs hit certain budgets. I don't think that the department is given one pile of money for EVERYTHING... all of my expensing has been annoyingly detailed. And if gifts are being given to clients, I imagine those gifts are particularly scrutinized. Also, there are some costs that we can pass along to clients, others that get covered in regular operating expenses, and others that end up raising our rates long-term. So, it's tough to say what's going on here.

Old 11-04-2021, 08:55 AM

Can't disagree with anything you said. I'm mainly thinking out loud about some of the bosses I've had and their supply quirks. Some sound just downright silly. But still true.

Old 11-04-2021, 01:21 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,266,397 times
Quote:
But she'll never spend it solely on something that helps me. That's what frustrates me.
Then you have to show your boss that what benefits you benefits her.

Do you ever do work for her? For example, you need to print a special report for your manager.

Oh.

But the printer is out of ink. Sorry boss. You're going to have to wait for that report since you don't want to spend money on me.

I'd also tell your clients about your boss cheaping out on gifts - wouldn't be INTERESTING if they were to email her and yelling at her for her cheapness?

Imagine compiling a list of clients that left because you were forced to give cheap gifts?

Old 11-04-2021, 02:48 PM

23,174 posts, read 12,357,048 times
Quote:
Every time I ask for anything, she tries to get me to use whatever we already have. I'm a cheap worker. But then she buys whatever she wants. She gets her clients nice gifts. I have to use the cheap office crap that's leftover. She throws big events for her clients and spends money. I don't.

I get the vibe that she hogs our budget for all her own stuff, when we are supposed to split it.

Last year, I found out from a secretary that the company gave $1500 back to every department. The money was for anyone that has "green" clients. I have green clients. She doesn't. I never saw that money. She spent it. It was supposed to be for me and my clients.

As it should be. Why buy new ink if you already have ink?

Our? What makes you think it is to split? Her bosses apparently gave her sole control over it. Go to her bosses and ask for direct access to "your half" of the budget and tell us what they say.

I'd also caution going by hearsay what you think the money is for and how it is to be used. Again, ask her bosses how this money is supposed to be used and tell us what they say.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment