Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2021, 11:20 AM

202 posts, read 127,059 times

Advertisements

I had a feeling trucking would be included in that list.

No, I don't believe that driverless robot trucks will be rolling down the highway anytime soon, probably not in my lifetime. How would a robot truck handle things like someone directing traffic with hand signals, construction cones, and poor or non-existent lane markings? How would a robot truck react to a dog crossing the street? What about a toddler? Would it know the difference?

There are probably hundreds, if not thousands, of other road conditions that I wouldn't trust a robot truck to be able to handle properly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2021, 01:06 PM

2,251 posts, read 3,299,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Interesting list.

Some I can see, like real estate or travel agent. Haven't used a travel agent since 2002, and no need to since I can do everything online for free.

Some will definitely take some time, like factory workers and truck drivers.

Doctor? I don't see that happening. Are they saying one day computers and machines can accurately diagnose and treat people?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/d...083005510.html
I read that article yesterday. It's a stupid list because most of these occupations are not dying, it's just that they have the POSSIBLE future POTENTIAL of dying - and only if a lot of things go the way that the author thinks they will. Which is certainly not a given.

Old 09-15-2021, 02:43 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,135,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Keep thinking that. The Gates Foundation is now driving, along with some other players, the future of education.

The aim is to eliminate teachers in favor of facilitators who guide the students to self-discovery of the material, all done on-line.

It's for the children.
Online facilitation is completely fine...for some. I'm completely fine learning from online resources as long as the appropriate resources are in place to figure it out. I've made my career off this ability. Heck, I'm in an online degree program through our state university system and have maintained a 4.0 by completing the same requirements as one would by attending in-person. I have the aptitude and resourcefulness for that, I realize not everyone does.

But there will still always be demand for in-class teaching. If not for the sake of education, where else will these parents find "free" day care for their children?

Old 09-15-2021, 03:21 PM

47,141 posts, read 26,302,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PS90 View Post
I read that article yesterday. It's a stupid list because most of these occupations are not dying, it's just that they have the POSSIBLE future POTENTIAL of dying - and only if a lot of things go the way that the author thinks they will. Which is certainly not a given.
Heh. I took a 4GL programming class where the instructor essentially told us that we were a dying breed, possibly the last of our kind. Because programming was getting easier and easier, so in just a few short years, the end users would state their requirements and the computer would assist them in writing their own programs! This was in 1988.

Of course, I have seen trades disappear practically overnight. Typesetters used to be a big deal - well paid union jobs, direct influence on the quality of the finished product. Skilled tradesmen. Poof, no more.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:30 PM

35,349 posts, read 31,793,012 times
I’d like to see a lot of real estate agents cut out. Many deliver very little value for the cost of their services.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:31 PM

13,783 posts, read 9,893,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The problem with that list is that it will be many years before those jobs are significantly affected. ...
A career might reasonably last for 40 years; longer, if predictions of living-longer, materialize. We have to ponder not what the situation is going to be like, in 2025 or 2030... but in 2060 or 2070.

Is that patently silly? Not really. I began my career as an aeronautical engineer, about 30 years ago. in the 1980s, my father, who was in a similar field, was adamant that aeronautical engineering has passed its zenith. Was he right? Yes, and no. Just as my career was beginning, I found myself at a grave disadvantage to electrical engineers or software engineers. Competition was tough. Somehow, more by luck than skill, I did OK. Today, as my career is winding down, I'd not advise a teenager graduating from high school, and starting college, to major in aeronautical engineering! The field really did hit its zenith in the 1960s. My entire career was a downward slope. In hindsight, my father was right.

The point: there will still be medical doctors and lawyers in 2060. But the prestige that they enjoy, and the job security, won't be as favored in 2060, as in 1960. This is OK for doctors who started practicing in the 1990s, and who might have a decade or so, to go. It's far less OK for teenagers who are interested in biology and how might get to med school in 2027.

Old 09-15-2021, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
A career might reasonably last for 40 years; longer, if predictions of living-longer, materialize. We have to ponder not what the situation is going to be like, in 2025 or 2030... but in 2060 or 2070.

Is that patently silly? Not really. I began my career as an aeronautical engineer, about 30 years ago. in the 1980s, my father, who was in a similar field, was adamant that aeronautical engineering has passed its zenith. Was he right? Yes, and no. Just as my career was beginning, I found myself at a grave disadvantage to electrical engineers or software engineers. Competition was tough. Somehow, more by luck than skill, I did OK. Today, as my career is winding down, I'd not advise a teenager graduating from high school, and starting college, to major in aeronautical engineering! The field really did hit its zenith in the 1960s. My entire career was a downward slope. In hindsight, my father was right.

The point: there will still be medical doctors and lawyers in 2060. But the prestige that they enjoy, and the job security, won't be as favored in 2060, as in 1960. This is OK for doctors who started practicing in the 1990s, and who might have a decade or so, to go. It's far less OK for teenagers who are interested in biology and how might get to med school in 2027.
I don't know what the solution to this conundrum is. It surely cannot be that everyone become a "data scientist" or "InfoSec Analyst", or whatever the hottest buzz-field is these days. We probably don't even really know what those fields are, they may not even exist yet.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:00 PM

45,963 posts, read 61,437,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by modest View Post
I don't know what the solution to this conundrum is. It surely cannot be that everyone become a "data scientist" or "InfoSec Analyst", or whatever the hottest buzz-field is these days. We probably don't even really know what those fields are, they may not even exist yet.
This is the big thing. I taught long enough to have gone through several cycles of "Steer your students towards ____________", most of which either don't exist as jobs now or exist in India/Viet Nam/China/Malaysia.

When I was in college (1973-77) a lot of kids were from Pittsburgh. They'd go home in the summer and get hired as casual labor in one of the steel mills. Every year some wouldn't return to college, the money at the mill/mine/factory was just too good.

Then those jobs either disappeared or the numbers contracted.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
This is the big thing. I taught long enough to have gone through several cycles of "Steer your students towards ____________", most of which either don't exist as jobs now or exist in India/Viet Nam/China/Malaysia.

When I was in college (1973-77) a lot of kids were from Pittsburgh. They'd go home in the summer and get hired as casual labor in one of the steel mills. Every year some wouldn't return to college, the money at the mill/mine/factory was just too good.

Then those jobs either disappeared or the numbers contracted.
It's challenging. I have these discussions with my wife quite frequently. She's a career high school science teacher, while I'm in the rat race in Corporate America. I think her biggest objective each year is to at least teach them some critical thinking skills and leave the rest up to timing and fate.

Old 09-15-2021, 04:33 PM

8,339 posts, read 6,863,317 times
I've said it before and will again.

Some jobs in a factory can be automated, but it'll be decades before ai can easily spot the differences between parts as they are being made. There's still going to be a major opening for repair techs anyway.

further,, the trucking industry has a long way to ho, before autonomous trucks are zipping by. There's still way too many jobs involved in automotive repair and building.

Until we can find a lubricant, totally harmless with the environment, don't be expecting the oil industry to falter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment